Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I love this thread. We are two months into a house refurbishment. For almost two weeks we didn’t even have lights upstairs. It has been like living in a cave. One of my cats hates it and stays outside during the day so he could empathise with Boris. Still it will be worth it in the end.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
I love this thread. We are two months into a house refurbishment. For almost two weeks we didn’t even have lights upstairs. It has been like living in a cave. One of my cats hates it and stays outside during the day so he could empathise with Boris. Still it will be worth it in the end.
Why do we do it to ourselves? We have spent a year feeling like we are camping out and reckon we have still got another 6 months like it. No idea how some people can live on a building site for years!
Old 16 Oct 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Oh wow exciting. Yours looks like it’s been delivered and stored much neater than ours, we had parts all over the living room 😂

We are having to lay the tiles after as we couldn’t find one who wouldn’t charge a fortune, we now have and he’s starting on Monday.
I have spoken to so many people on when the flooring should be put in and some say before the kitchen is fitted but others say after so I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer!
My DH and BIL are building some of the cabinets today so not quite as neat now! I know what you mean about the floor our fitter has said just do the kitchen bit, as it’s open plan now the floor will go through into the living area so will have to do it all.?
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Oh my goodness, I can't imagine not having lights upstairs! I really shouldn't complain
I feel so guilty about Boris but we are giving him a lot more attention and cuddles to hopefully make up for it!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Why do we do it to ourselves? We have spent a year feeling like we are camping out and reckon we have still got another 6 months like it. No idea how some people can live on a building site for years!
You've done so well living like that for a year, I'm not sure I could cope! It will be totally worth it in the end

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Macca04 View Post
My DH and BIL are building some of the cabinets today so not quite as neat now! I know what you mean about the floor our fitter has said just do the kitchen bit, as it’s open plan now the floor will go through into the living area so will have to do it all.?
That's good you've got them put to work . When is the kitchen starting? So will the fitter put the tiles under the new kitchen? Our tiler is starting on Monday so can't wait to see them down

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

So we have got to the end of the week and are getting there slowly but surely! We now have the 2 ovens wired in so at least I can use them but the work surface isn't being fitted until next Thursday/Friday so have to wait until then for the hob, sink, dishwasher and washing machine. I've spent a small fortune already in the launderette so can't wait until that's done.

We've had a few mistakes already. If you look closely to under the extractor fan you'll see one of the lighting wires has had to be moved. I completely forgot I had changed the plans from having a 60cm hood and hob to a 90cm one so the wire for the under cupboard lights would be right on show.
Bill, my FIL has moved it over, we just need to get it patch repaired. It's such a shame as the plastering was perfect!

Another boo boo was the switch for the oven is now in the way to have a back splash behind the hob so at the moment I'm not sure what we'll do about that. I'm thinking we may do an acrylic backsplash across the whole back wall not just behind the hob but I'm not 100% decided. It can be done at a later date so don't need to worry just yet.

The one big thing that has really wound me up though is the depth of the wall units are really shallow, in fact too shallow to hold my standard size dinner plates! After some investigation it turns out Howdens do 2 depths of wall units so I'm not best pleased that wasn't mentioned in the design meeting. If I'd known they came in 2 sizes I would have obviously gone for the deeper ones
For the unit that's on it's own I have just ordered the deeper one as it is easy to change so will keep all crockery in that cupboard. It's annoying as the others are so shallow I won't be able to store as much in them as originally thought!

On a plus side the tiler starts Monday. I picked up the tiles today and am really pleased with them. I laid a couple of them out to see how I wanted them and thankfully they are the perfect size to have 3 in a row so minimal cutting required

Bill will be back on Wednesday to fit the doors and do the finishing touches like the pelmets, cornices and plinths.
The worktop is being fitted on Thursday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed by the end of next week it will nearly be done. I've got a bit of patching up with paint to do then the plumber needs to come back and fit the radiator.

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I sympathise completely as I have a whole run of very shallow units which look great but are basically unusable 😤

It’s looking great though!
Old 18 Oct 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
So we have got to the end of the week and are getting there slowly but surely! We now have the 2 ovens wired in so at least I can use them but the work surface isn't being fitted until next Thursday/Friday so have to wait until then for the hob, sink, dishwasher and washing machine. I've spent a small fortune already in the launderette so can't wait until that's done.

We've had a few mistakes already. If you look closely to under the extractor fan you'll see one of the lighting wires has had to be moved. I completely forgot I had changed the plans from having a 60cm hood and hob to a 90cm one so the wire for the under cupboard lights would be right on show.
Bill, my FIL has moved it over, we just need to get it patch repaired. It's such a shame as the plastering was perfect!

Another boo boo was the switch for the oven is now in the way to have a back splash behind the hob so at the moment I'm not sure what we'll do about that. I'm thinking we may do an acrylic backsplash across the whole back wall not just behind the hob but I'm not 100% decided. It can be done at a later date so don't need to worry just yet.

The one big thing that has really wound me up though is the depth of the wall units are really shallow, in fact too shallow to hold my standard size dinner plates! After some investigation it turns out Howdens do 2 depths of wall units so I'm not best pleased that wasn't mentioned in the design meeting. If I'd known they came in 2 sizes I would have obviously gone for the deeper ones
For the unit that's on it's own I have just ordered the deeper one as it is easy to change so will keep all crockery in that cupboard. It's annoying as the others are so shallow I won't be able to store as much in them as originally thought!

On a plus side the tiler starts Monday. I picked up the tiles today and am really pleased with them. I laid a couple of them out to see how I wanted them and thankfully they are the perfect size to have 3 in a row so minimal cutting required

Bill will be back on Wednesday to fit the doors and do the finishing touches like the pelmets, cornices and plinths.
The worktop is being fitted on Thursday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed by the end of next week it will nearly be done. I've got a bit of patching up with paint to do then the plumber needs to come back and fit the radiator.

Alicia it is looking great and it’s good that you have been able to fix the issues as you have gone along. That is very frustrating that the depth of the cupboards was not mentioned to you, especially if every other cupboard was the appropriate depth. We had this in our last kitchen and I ended up buying new plates. You may however (depending on the height of the units) be able to use a plate stacker. They would need customising to the correct depth but I would imagine your FIL could cut them down.

The tiles look fab and it is even more fortuitous that you can fit three across perfectly. Not long now, you must be getting excited to see an end in sight!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Apologies for the delay, we are on a bit of a go slow with the kitchen. It’s taking my FIL a lot longer than he expected, we suspect he’s bitten off more than he can chew. There’s been a few mistakes along the way too...

So the tiles are down, I love them and the guy has done a great job but unfortunately the grout needs sorting as it’s dried darker in some places making it look dirty.
The worktop has been cut but not glued down, the rest of the cupboard doors still need putting on, some need the hinges changing or adjusting and the plinths and pelmets also need putting on. There’s a leak with the sink plumbing and Jim needs to finish off all the electrical bits. We have an oven but not a working hob yet, I didn’t realise how much I used my hob until I haven’t had one! We’re getting there though but I’ll admit it’s been testing as the living room still has loads of boxes in the way making it like an assault course! It’s been 4 weeks since I’ve had a working kitchen and all I want is the house straight and back to normal 😩. I’m hoping by the end of the week we can start unpacking the boxes and putting everything away.

Anyway, enough of me moaning. Here’s the latest photos

IG - alicialanesmith