Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Oct 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I see you have a lump hammer. I could never get on with those albeit they are good. I much preferred a longer handled hammer.
Funny how we are all different in what we like.
Yep, not really a fan of the lump hammer, even using it with a guarded bolster I’ve managed to clout my hands with it more than once 🙂

One of my favourite tools is a mini pry bar, it gets a lot of use
screwfix/p/magnusson-pry-bar-8-/8640V

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. Good tool and so handy

I still have my Stanley 30" wrecking/nail bar from the mid 70's. God I would love a £1 for every job it has done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Enjoyed reading your progress. How long would you say it has taken so far?
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Stu. Coming along nicely. I detest those push fit pipe joints but they are quick I agree. I won't have them in my house and my Mates wont either.
'Yorkshire' fittings are so quick and with the internal solder line easy to install.
Agree with push fit joints. Had a bathroom installed some years ago and argued against them with the plumber who was insisting they were the best thing since slice bread. He insisted on using them and 2 days later came back with ds from school who asked is it normal for water to be dripping through the kitchen ceiling light fitting. Needless to say he hadn’t fitted them properly and I then got my way and got him to change them over and he got to get someone in to replanted the big hole in my kitchen ceiling.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Tiling and fitting shower door is the next task.

For the shower door I thought, select the one I want, order it and fit it, same as I have done with a previous house. No such luck!
I hadn't realised that shower doors only come in certain heights, mainly 1800 as a minimum. Due to the sloping ceiling cutting across part of the shower cubicle meant I needed a 1700 height door.

Trying to find a shower door of 1700 high was a nightmare. Eventually I found a company that supply windows and shower screens to boats and they could make a bespoke door to my measurements.

Ideally I would have finished the en-suite tiling then measured the space where the door was going and then order a door to fit. But due to the current pandemic, supply and delivery dates were all up in the air. So I opted to order the door before I started the renovation.

Knowing the door width that I had ordered I was mindful of this when tiling as tolerance was going to be tight.

When the door arrived I found it wouldn't fit on checking the measurements I found they had actually made a mistake and made the door 10mm wider than I'd specified

I could have got them to collect and remake to what I had specified but that would have added an 8 to 10 week delay!

I opted to remove the tiles, luckily I hadn't grouted yet and fit the door to the wall and tile up to the door rather than preferable original plan to fit the door on top of the tiles.

So that probably cost me two days extra work!

Fitted and plumbed in the vanity/sink.

Then laid the flooring, we used Amtico Smart Click which is waterproof and comes with built in insulation backing layer so can just be cut and fitted quite easily.

Then it was just finishing off, I fitted some tongue and groove panelling before fixing the toilet and radiator in place along with a wall cabinet above the sink.

Some final touches and it's finished apart from changing the light switches and we will be changing the door to an oak door when we can get a delivery slot for it, will also be changing the velux blind.

Edited at 12:21 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Enjoyed reading your progress. How long would you say it has taken so far?
I'd allocated 3 weeks in my head but I think it was about 5 weeks from start to finish
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Stu. Looks really good I must say, well done

A real pain about the shower door but you got there in the end and some silicone down the tile/screen frame will make it perfect.

I like the fact you are no longer squeezing into a small gap now the bidet has gone. Looks better as the old format looked cramped.
Nice Rad as well.

I do like big tiles. Firstly they look better and the big win is less grout.

We intend to change all the doors in the house and I am looking at this company. £101 for a pre finished solid core if the order is £250 or over.

doorsofdistinction...ior-doors.html

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We intend to change all the doors in the house and I am looking at this company. £101 for a pre finished solid core if the order is £250 or over.

doorsofdistinction...ior-doors.html
We have the exact same doors downstairs, although they are Howdens pre finished, installed by previous owner.

I'm looking at adding the same door to the en-suite. In my research I have found varying quality for these doors. As I will need to trim the door in height and width I need one that has extra wide oak fillets that allow up to 20mm trimming. Some have thinner fillets and only allow 6mm trimming.

due to the trimming required I'll purchase an unfinished door and finish it myself.

Wickes have an unfinished door with wide fillets for £79, I need to check the quality of it though but it does have good reviews.
wickes/Wickes-Gene...m/p/9000229489

they also have it finished at £120 with free delivery
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I'd allocated 3 weeks in my head but I think it was about 5 weeks from start to finish
Yes these thing always take longer than you think and there is a lot of behind the scenes work that needs to be done before it all comes together. Bet you are really pleased with the finished result, it looks great
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

That looks very nice, love the way you have made features of all the little quirky bits! Feel your pain with the shower door, we have a fixed panel with walk in but due to sloping ceiling and size it is about 10 cm too short and we have to keep a towel there to stop water going out along tray side! 5 weeks doesn't sound too bad, ours wasn't much less than that done with tradesmen!

We have just replaced all our doors with Howdens Holdenby Oak doors, very luckily got them 1/2 price so about £50 a door Had to oil them myself but actually quite enjoyed it, or maybe that was the fumes off the oil Anyway our builder really liked them and said buying the heavier ones really made a difference, he usually fits the lighter styles.