Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 20, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
blondie28143
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Thanks for this,my mum was in the camps,I recently found her mother (my grandma)through the use of a dna site my sister used.It was amazing to know we have family in the USA,my dear mum passed away thinking her family died in the camps,and sadly my grandma died never knowing my mum survived either,they were separated when mum was around 2,we always believed that my mum was born in the camp.We did find my mums sisters,and a brother she never knew she had.This is my mums story
today/parents/mother...ch-eva-t183383
Oh my gosh! Heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing.

blondie28143 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
What an amazing story. The article and video had me in tears. Hopefully you will get to meet in person soon.
Thank you,that means a lot .There were lots of tears when we found out,and still now actually to be honest!.I really do hope we get to meet as soon as possible
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blondie28143 View Post
Oh my gosh! Heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks,its so very sad to know they were both searching but never found each other,but I'm hopeful we will meet our new family someday
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Helen. Thank you very much for answering my request I am very grateful.

Your work is truly inspirational and I give you enormous credit for tackling what must be both a traumatic topic to teach but also a very satisfying one as it serves to teach the youth of what is becoming ever more distant in our history as time marches on.

I have never been fortunate enough to attend such a lecture but living only a few hundred yards from our local Synagogue I am well aware of how such atrocities shaped future generations and sadly how prejudice and hate is sadly still alive and well in local communities.

What I find dreadful is the fact that my local Orthodox Synagogue has to employ Security Guards each Festival and Saturday and the Jewish Cemetery is permanently locked to stop vandalism.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Lucky enough to hear several survivor accounts, truly inspirational people and so humbling.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Thanks for this,my mum was in the camps,I recently found her mother (my grandma)through the use of a dna site my sister used.It was amazing to know we have family in the USA,my dear mum passed away thinking her family died in the camps,and sadly my grandma died never knowing my mum survived either,they were separated when mum was around 2,we always believed that my mum was born in the camp.We did find my mums sisters,and a brother she never knew she had.This is my mums story
today/parents/mother...ch-eva-t183383
Oh my goodness, how sad your Mum and Grandma never knew but amazing that you have found your relatives. It's a miracle your Mum survived as such a small child and shows how different experiences were. Thank you so much for sharing. x
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Such an important part of history, thank you for taking the time to tell us about this work you do and for your work in educating future generations so it is never forgotten the terribly tragic time and how this happened as it must never be repeated. X
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Fascinating , my family fled the Pogroms in Lithuania in 1900 but we have branches who lost almost everyone to the camps during WW2 .
It’s certainly something that should never be forgotten.
Oh my, the Lithuanian history of the 20th century is fascinating but heart wrenching.

I've visited sites in Vilna, Kovno and Ponary. In Ponary we met by chance this little lady in her 90's who was full of life, marching off into the forest, our guide excitedly told us she led the local resistance and had spent the war in the forests fighting the Nazis and local troops.
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
This is fascinating, thanks for sharing. It’s also apt timing as I took my DS to the IWM today.

He found the Holocaust exhibition the most interesting, he’s in year 6 and learning about WWII, but they’ve not covered the Holocaust yet. He had about a billion questions and I could barely answer any on the way home. Do you know of any books that might be good for him to find out more?
So many books, I'd start off with something like 'When Hitler stole pink rabbit' by Judith Kerr or 'Hitler's canary' by Sandi Toksvig (both true stories) or Once by Morris Gleitzman.
The Holocaust Educational Trust have also produced some family learning material which he might like, het.uk/images/home-l...rning_pack.pdf
At Year 6 we tend to focus on the Kindertransport and leave the more traumatic aspects until years 8 or 9.
Old 27 Oct 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Oh my goodness, how sad your Mum and Grandma never knew but amazing that you have found your relatives. It's a miracle your Mum survived as such a small child and shows how different experiences were. Thank you so much for sharing. x
Yes its definitely a miracle she survived,my poor grandma,I just cannot imagine what she went through never knowing what happened to her baby,its heartbreaking. I really hope we get to meet my aunts someday