Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I work M-F so would only get a chance to go to the bank on a Saturday.

I'd probably keep it, then send the bank a message and arrange for it to be returned. Queuing up outside the bank in this weather to hand £100 back in? Not likely.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I would hand it into the bank.

My teenage son found £20 on the floor in the high street when he was walking home from school. No one around claiming it. He took it to the nearest shop and handed it in. I was so proud that this was the first thing that came to his mind. If he hadn’t handed it in, he said he would have brought it home to me and told me where he found it so I could ask on our local FB page to see if anyone had lost it. He has such a kind heart. Some of his siblings gave him a hard time as they would have kept it!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I would have taken it into the bank. I did not know the machine took it back in.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I was waiting behind 2 women at Santander's ATM. They stood for ages then walked off saying something about the machine not working. As I went to put my card in some £ suddenly dispensed.
I picked it up & ran after the women giving them their cash for which they thanked me. Had I not known whose cash it was I would have taken it straight into the Branch but having worked in a bank I know many people who lost their money under similar circumstances.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
True tale found some money very near cash machine around 250 pound returned it to bank then got acussed of nicking money from a woman purse police was going to be called but no prof still gave my name as asked to do week later got letter lady found the money as her husband had taken it. The 250 I found on the floor was from a old lady that dropped it and pleased it was handed in. Never go back to the T S B Again so I world not hand it in but I world not spend it I give it to cancer charity
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would have taken the time of my own transaction and then taken the £100 to the bank.

Armed with my card details and backed by the time slot, they would have no problems identifying the person who drew the money and could thus return it. I would get a real ‘feel good’ about that!

It is also worth remembering that many cash points have CCTV Cameras.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

It was the friday before a bank holiday (I think May time). Initially me and Mrs MH looked at each other and smiled with excitement, but within literally seconds we both agreed to hand it in. We walked in the bank and there was a very long queue so I went home with it and the following week I went in the bank and asked to speak to the manager. The assistant manager came out and I explained the situation to her. She asked me to give her the money and they would try and identify the person who left it. I asked what would happen if they didn't identify the person and she said something like "it will go back in the cashpoint', so i said so a rich bank would keep it to which she said they should trace the person. I said I wasn't prepared to give her the £100 unless they traced the owner.

I left her with my bank details along with my name, address and telephone number (I'm with first direct which is part of HSBC) and said I took money out immediately after the person so they should be able to trace them.

I left the bank with the money and the assistant manager didn't look too impressed. Perhaps two or three days later the assistant manager called me and said they had found the lady who left it (I think the lady went into the bank - rather than them tracing her). The assistant manager asked if it was okay if she gave the lady my telephone number to contact me directly and I agreed. Long story short the lady called me delighted and I gave her my address and that evening she knocked on the door with a bottle of wine and box chocolates and was so grateful I had been so honest, and I told her that one day me and my family might need someone to return something we lost.

Interesting that almost everyone on here said they would have returned it, but most people me and my wife told about it said they would have kept it. So either all dibbers are really honest or the people me and my wife know aren't so honest😀

Edited at 05:16 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
It was the friday before a bank holiday (I think May time). Initially me and Mrs MH looked at each other and smiled with excitement, but within literally seconds we both agreed to hand it in. We walked in the bank and there was a very long queue so I went home with it and the following week I went in the bank and asked to speak to the manager. The assistant manager came out and I explained the situation to her. She asked me to give her the money and they would try and identify the person who left it. I asked what would happen if they didn't identify the person and she said something like "it will go back in the cashpoint', so i said so a rich bank would keep it to which she said they should trace the person. I said I wasn't prepared to give her the £100 unless they traced the owner.

I left her with my bank details along with my name, address and telephone number (I'm with first direct which is part of HSBC) and said I took money out immediately after the person so they should be able to trace them.

I left the bank with the money and the assistant manager didn't look too impressed. Perhaps two or three days later the assistant manager called me and said they had found the lady who left it (I think the lady went into the bank - rather than them tracing her). The assistant manager asked if it was okay if she gave the lady my telephone number to contact me directly and I agreed. Long story short the lady called me delighted and I gave her my address and that evening she knocked on the door with a bottle of wine and box chocolates and was so grateful I had been so honest, and I told her that one day me and my family might need someone to return something we lost.

Interesting that almost everyone on here said they would have returned it, but most people me and my wife told about it said they would have kept it. So either all dibbers are really honest or the people me and my wife know aren't so honest😀
Are you saying dibbers are little fibbers?
rudie111 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

Never doubted this outcome MH.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rudie111 View Post
Are you saying dibbers are little fibbers?
I'm definitely not saying that but 100% of dibbers say they would have either retuned it or given it to charity, but I don't think a 100% of non dibbers would return it. That said perhaps the dibbers who haven't posted would have kept it

Good point on the CCTV cameras at cashpoints, but did they have them 8 years ago?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List