Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I am grateful to everyone who works in retail during the pandemic as not surprisingly they are at high risk and often earn minimum wage, plus the shift work and many shops being open 7 days a week.

I let a lady go in front of me at the Marks checkout today as it looked like she had bought her lunch, and the lady on the till thanked me and said that some customers are so rude to staff and even walk close to people at the till to try and rush them. Ages ago a nice lady on the till in Asda said that some customers swore at till staff because some items were limited in number per customer and they took it out on the till staff (what absolute idiots).

So thank you retail staff because you are at a high risk of coronavirus and most I've met are friendly and polite.

Obviously I'm also grateful for other essential service staff like hospital/medical staff, ambulance drivers/paramedics, the police, bus drivers (the list is long).
What a lovely post and so so true. My DW works PT in a food retail store and the lockdown stories I could reveal would make your toes curl. ‘’I hope you get covid and spitting is just one example of many’’

Not to belittle the excellent work of-the NHS, all retail staff, often on the minimum wage as you point out should be applauded and long remembered.

Nice one MH

Disney332
Old 19 Nov 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep, my Son gets verbally abused on a daily basis. One middle aged man threatened to physically assault him, but luckily other customers stepped in and helped my Son. He had to stay in the office for the rest of his shift, and we picked him up just in case the man followed up on the threat of getting him after work. Through it all, he manages to stay calm and polite.

On a lighter note, now it’s Christmas Season he’s permanently covered in glitter.
Old 19 Nov 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Thank you for your kind words . It’s very difficult at times and yes I too have been abused and been called a liar. Get shouted out if there is a price increase or if an item is out of stock . I do have some lovely customers but no one should have to tolerate abuse . when I’ve had to challenge someones age and refuse a sale I’ve been called terrible names ..
so thank you it’s very much appreciated. When I shop elsewhere I always say thank you to the staff as I know what it’s like ... I’ve been known to speak to a manager to say thank you when we were in a restaurant . A few words of kindness does make a difference ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Yes, thank you for the kind words, so nice to read them.

My worst experience was being told that I (personally, she was very clear on that point between the swearwords) was murdering babies and would be sent straight to Hell, all because we ran out of branded calpol in the first lockdown.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

It seems like it's open season on customer service staff at the moment regardless of the kind of contact. I literally put my head on my desk and cried this week because people are being so horrid.
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Well said MH.

I have often thought during these times that retail staff are not receiving the credit they deserve.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

I think some people think that Retail worker's are just punch bags for them to abuse when they feel like it.
We have to be very careful what we do and say to customers, as in retail, the customer is always right. 😟
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

They can’t see me muttering under my mask tho 😀
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

I quite agree, the way some people speak to retail staff is appalling.
There isn't any excuse for it and I certainly have appreciated them all during this last few months.
Gingerlife is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinks2014 View Post
They can’t see me muttering under my mask tho 😀
That would be me, effing and blinding probably 😂
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List