Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Nov 20, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

August 2021

Fingers crossed that we can go...
Im due to take my 5 children (15,13,11,10,9) to Florida for 5 weeks next year.
My husband joins us for the last 16 days where we are renewing our vows and then doing to Disney for 2 weeks.

However Im hoping (if I get braver with the driving) to take the kids to the beach and perhaps take in a few more things that Florida has to offer.

Ive only ever driven a little there with my husband so am currently feeling nervous (I dont drive an automatic here) but hoping Ill get over it!

Can anyone recommend some great places to go :-)

Thanks
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have driven most of the coast from Alabama down to Key West and then back up the Atlantic side as far as Daytona Beach.

With 5 children in your charge, I would look to the generally calmer waters on the Gulf side, rather than the Atlantic. Besides, I think the sand is generally of a better quality.

I would tend to write off anything much North of Clearwater and south of Venice due to driving times (unless you intend overnighting). Venice is around a 3 hour drive.

I note that you are a little nervous re the driving. Tampa and St Petes area can be rather busy on the roads. I would therefore once again be drawn a little south as you can cut down before you reach Tampa on much quieter roads.

Anna Maria Island with AM, Holmes and Bradenton beaches is simply lovely, not incredibly busy and very low rise behind the beach line. That certainly gets a recommend. You might also see Manatees at Bradenton.

My own no1 choice is a little off the standard, tourist beaten track as I like quieter beaches, having lived most of my life in Cornwall (and not liking people).. so here it is!

Casperson beach, just south of Venice. (Take a packed lunch).
The beach itself is easy to get to with a boardwalk behind and then a minor road for access and carparking (free)...and then mildly marshy ground behind that with no buildings.
The sand is decent, but not in the same league as further North.
The beach itself is only around 10m from water to boardwalk (but very long) and thus, you can see and supervise your 5 children easily.
Nearly everyone there is local and always seem friendly.
You feel that you are totally off the beaten track with wild birds and solitude, but in reality, you are only a few miles from Venice.
You take some Walmart sieves with you, go into the knee deep water and start sieving the sand. You find fossilised, black and grey Sharks Teeth.. (and you do actually find them). Just ask the others driving and they will show you where. It is good fun and gives your children something rather different to do.

When you are finished, you look North to see a pier. If you drive to it, you will find a lovely restaurant called Sharky's by the pier. The food is very good indeed and if you go out on the pier, you will find people fishing on it who are actually catching things.

You will get dozens of suggestions as to which beach is best and much of that is driven by many people going to the beaches most popular on recommendation of others. When people talk about Cornish beaches, they all rave about Newquay because so many have holidayed and been there.. Newquay wouldnt even be in my top 20 and I have been on nearly all of them..but Casperson is our favourite when weighing up distance and your family size.
If you want busy then it would be Clearwater.
If you want to drive a longer distance, then Naples, Treasure Island etc. ( Delnor Wiggins N of Naples is good).
If you want to be attacked by Sharks, then for some reason, its Smyrna Beach, South of Daytona on the Atlantic Coast.

Hope it helps.

CASPERSON

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:27 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Cocoa beach is probably the closest / quickest ?

maybe fit in a trip to cape canaveral as well its the same local

5 kids ! its proper lads day out but im sure girls will enjoy it also
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds amazing! I dont like Newquay beach :-) mind you Ive only been to Cornwall a few times and when I live 3 /4 hours drive thats quite shameful :a-o
Thanks for all the tips! Im writing the down :-)
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerl
Gone all Goofy

indian rocks beach is lovely,very quiet,lots of locals and very safe.
tiggerl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Naples is lovely. We stayed at Naples Bay Resort a couple of years ago. We hired one of these for $99 for the whole day. We went all the way to Marco Island and saw manatees in their natural habitat. It was my favourite day in 10 visits to Florida.

Naples bay resort is expensive but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it, and get a room overlooking the marina if you can.

Edited at 09:32 PM.
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List