No! I'm being sensible 135 52.94%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jan 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Having lived at the back of beyond as a child I always have a store cupboard of extras and this included essential medication my big Christmas shop always included paracetamol lemsip a cough bottle gaviscon Brufen bongela strepsils etc I work on if I’ve got it I won’t need it in an emergency and it works for us
I have never lived in the back of beyond but I always have all these in stock together with immodium, dioralyte and cymalon.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Having lived at the back of beyond as a child I always have a store cupboard of extras and this included essential medication my big Christmas shop always included paracetamol lemsip a cough bottle gaviscon Brufen bongela strepsils etc I work on if I’ve got it I won’t need it in an emergency and it works for us
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I have never lived in the back of beyond but I always have all these in stock together with immodium, dioralyte and cymalon.
We also have those sorts of things stored in a cupboard. I think most people do. We have those sorts of things stored all year round irrespective of whether there's any epidemic or not.

Whereas going out and specifically stocking up on things purely out of worry due to recent news reports is another thing.

Apparently around 650,000 people die each year from 'flu. As long as the OP has the normal provisions they would need to cover them in case a bout of 'flu came their way, then they'll be fine. At the moment, there's no real need for any additional preparations.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:51 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

We just found out there’s a case of Coronavirus where DS is living. So he knows to look after himself and the university are closely monitoring all students for signs of the virus. That is a good thing along with the fact that PHE are aware and ready to help if needed. In his building there are quite a lot of Chinese students but not all of them went home at Christmas and not all of them have family near the city of Wuhan so it’s doubtful there will be any cases found there. You have to be sensible about this though and use the necessary precautions just as you would for flu or SARS or Norovirus. If you aren’t sure about whether or not you could have contracted it contact the NHS don’t go to a doctor. Stay safe and be sensible.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
We just found out there’s a case of Coronavirus where DS is living.
There's a case of coronavirus where I live. In fact, there are probably cases of coronaviruses where everyone lives. Common colds are often caused by coronaviruses.

However, I assume you mean the 2019-nCoV Wuhan coronavirus?

As far as I can tell the Wuhan version of the coronavirus is no more deadly than influenza. However, it does seem more virulent and, at the moment, there is no vaccine.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

The French have apparently been able to isolate and cultivate it which is the first step. Just the 6-8 months to go to create and test the vaccine.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

gisanddata.maps.arcgis/a...23467b48e9ecf6
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The French have apparently been able to isolate and cultivate it which is the first step. Just the 6-8 months to go to create and test the vaccine.
And then a year before they agree to sell it to Britain via a trade deal.
For benefit of anyone reading this is a joke.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 04:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Ok, we live on a Greek island-no direct flights to the uk in the winter only via Athens.
Aparently they've stopped some people from wuhan (sp?) At Athens airport.

I want to prep a bit, inhalers, anti-biotics, antibacterial gel/wash, gloves, masks, a bit of food and water.
All stuff that we'd eventually use anyway.

He thinks I'm over reacting, I dont think I am.
Were not on the mainland, if theres a ferry strike, supermarkets get low on food etc, if there's really bad weather we dont get deliveries.
We may not be a small island but things can go wrong quickly/easily.
Am I being daft?-im worried about this virus
And then four weeks later, rasmus, everyone else is worried right along with you. Seems you were ahead of the curve. How is it going on the island? Were you able to get the supplies you need?
Old 3 Mar 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
And then four weeks later, rasmus, everyone else is worried right along with you. Seems you were ahead of the curve. How is it going on the island? Were you able to get the supplies you need?
Not everyone else. In fact, I suspect most people are not stockpiling inhalers, antibiotics, antibacterial gel/wash, gloves, masks, a bit of food and water. etc. No one I know is doing that.

Four weeks on and not a huge amount has changed really, other than perhaps an increase in the levels of stress online.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 3 Mar 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I only opened this thread to say that anyone who uses the word "hubs" is definitely daft.

I shall now read your post and vote as I see fit.
"In a world where you can be anything - be kind"

I think stocking some food etc is sensible, cleaning products like antibacterial spray, disinfectant ok, having sufficient quantities of your medication is very sensible but antibiotics, no. Gloves, not really needed.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List