Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jul 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Need Kitchen Inspiration

After many months of discussion between DH and I he finally agrees that we need a new kitchen.

Now that I've won that battle I'm at a bit of a loss. My biggest problem is that I have no clue what to go for and need some inspiration.

The kitchen isn't huge so does that mean we need to stick with white cabinets or would grey/black look ok?

Glossy or Matt cabinets?

Handles or no handles?

Double or single oven?

Laminate or more expensive worktops?

I only know what I don't like, I have no idea what I do like - does that make sense?

If anyone would like to share their looks or even give opinions I'd really appreciate it. I'd hate to spend loads of money without taking everything into consideration.

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have never put a kitchen in a house but have had new kitchens in new build houses and have had a house where the previous owner had fixed it up and put a kitchen in.

Why don’t you have a look at Pinterest for other grey/black kitchens and see how they look in smaller kitchens. A friend had a high gloss light grey kitchen with white counter tops and it looked stunning. We have only ever had light coloured units so I can’t comment on black. Our last kitchen was white high gloss without handles. It looked very streamlined and modern but I was forever wiping sticky finger marks off the units. The kitchen was about 6 years old when we moved and I did think that the housing around the white units was starting to yellow a bit. Our kitchen now is matt with handles and I prefer that. Double oven definitely we always used to struggle with a single oven. Would you have room for a range? The last 2 houses we have had a range and they are fab. Our last 2 houses again we have had more expensive worktops rather than laminate and I would tend towards the more expensive ones budget allowing. In the past we have had knicks out of laminate work surfaces and sometimes the water can get it. In our last house we had white Corian which we thought would be a nightmare but was easy to keep clean and did look nice. We have granite now and definitely prefer that.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We had this dilemma too in Oct 2018 we got a new kitchen.
We went for a traditional mussels coloured units with wood effect laminate and handles.

We viewed lots of ideas and didn’t want handle less doors etc.
Also wasn’t keen on the high gloss. Figured that our kitchen while isn’t totally modern it also won’t date either.
Old 22 Jul 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Old 22 Jul 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We had a new kitchen in 2016 and had no idea what I wanted.
We looked around a few kitchen places before settling on a local independent kitchen retailer.
I knew I didn’t want a dark colour or a wood effect kitchen.
I decided on a cream gloss with brown worktops and a brown splash back.
I really wanted Corian worktops but it was over £3,000 more expensive.
I’m happy with the kitchen but would like better worktops in a couple of years.
Old 22 Jul 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Forgot to add some pictures

Old 22 Jul 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

When we moved into the granny flat we had a new kitchen it’s Matt handles in cashmere with glass splash backs and white silestone worktops
What I didn’t want was gloss main house has that and it’s was / is a nightmare to keep with granite worktops clean didn’t want grooves I’d to clean with a cotton bud villa has that on cherry wood cabinets with
corian worktops and they have all been great
Biggest mistake black granite work tops in the laundry/ mud room Bain of my life looks great when it’s just cleaned but shows every mark
And we aren’t even in a hard water area
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Knowing what you don’t want helps to narrow options! When we moved in, we inherited a bespoke solid oak kitchen with black granite worktops which I’d wanted for years. Fast forward five years and we grew to hate it as it made the kitchen dark and the granite showed every speak of dust 2 seconds after cleaning. We reduced the number of wall cabinets, changed to white/quartz effect laminate with mid grey gloss cabinets and are so glad we finally took the plunge and changed it.
Old 22 Jul 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
Knowing what you don’t want helps to narrow options! When we moved in, we inherited a bespoke solid oak kitchen with black granite worktops which I’d wanted for years. Fast forward five years and we grew to hate it as it made the kitchen dark and the granite showed every speak of dust 2 seconds after cleaning. We reduced the number of wall cabinets, changed to white/quartz effect laminate with mid grey gloss cabinets and are so glad we finally took the plunge and changed it.
Sounds great do you have picture of your kitchen now
As we getting Matt grey doors and white quartz or laminate we not sure what choose yet
amberspy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

We had a cream high gloss kitchen and swapped for white with dark quartz worktops.

Cream was warm but I always thought looked grubby. White looks cold and doesn't make kitchen any lighter. Picture of white kitchen isn't great.

I love my worktops though.

Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List