UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 10 Aug 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Devon/Cornwall recommendations:updated - booked Falmouth

We are looking at booking a cottage or apartment for next July/August in Devon or Cornwall but it’s something we haven’t done for donkeys years and we are a bit out of touch with areas and accessibility to beaches with a baby and two elderly people (that’s me and DH! Lol). I can’t be doing with cliffs and steep steps plus we would most likely have a buggy. Hoping to find a little gem somewhere with a nice sandy beach and an ice cream shop! We have been to Exmouth when our DD was in a buggy and that was nice but she’s the one with the baby now so as you can see, it’s been a while!

Edited at 12:25 PM.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I live quite near Exmouth. Did you want to try a different area or similar?
Old 14 Aug 20, 05:23 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Falmouth has accessible town beaches, plenty of shops and good accessibility for a toddler. It also has access to boat excursions to the Helford, St Mawes and Truro. It has a Castle and some great scenery in the area.
Looe would fit the bill.
Mevagissey.
Exmouth.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I live quite near Exmouth. Did you want to try a different area or similar?
Not against Exmouth as we really had a nice holiday when DD was a baby herself. We’ve got that in our back pocket ; hoping to find some other places.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Falmouth has accessible town beaches, plenty of shops and good accessibility for a toddler. It also has access to boat excursions to the Helford, St Mawes and Truro. It has a Castle and some great scenery in the area.
Looe would fit the bill.
Mevagissey.
Exmouth.
Never been to Falmouth. Like the sound of that. Think it’s on the list. Thank you
Old 14 Aug 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Never been to Falmouth. Like the sound of that. Think it’s on the list. Thank you
You are very welcome. I picked this area to live for very good reasons!

Should you decide on the area, then I can give you some great, easy to visit locations in the immediate area.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Not against Exmouth as we really had a nice holiday when DD was a baby herself. We’ve got that in our back pocket ; hoping to find some other places.
How about West Dorset (Lyme Regis etc) or the Sidmouth area? Like Exmouth and close but nicer (apologies to any Exmouthians).
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
How about West Dorset (Lyme Regis etc) or the Sidmouth area? Like Exmouth and close but nicer (apologies to any Exmouthians).
We love Dorset - we were in Bridport last September. Never been to Sidmouth - but Lyme Regis was so busy and parking was quite difficult. We’ll look into Sidmouth - thanks! (am presuming it’s a sandy beach?).
Old 17 Aug 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We love Dorset - we were in Bridport last September. Never been to Sidmouth - but Lyme Regis was so busy and parking was quite difficult. We’ll look into Sidmouth - thanks! (am presuming it’s a sandy beach?).
No, Sidmouth is pebbles (sorry! I missed or forgot you asked for sand!)

Lyme is a pain for parking. If you stayed there (this is going to sound really sad as we live so close but we rented a cottage last year for three nights with my sister) you could get a place with parking? It was a bit of a walk down to the beach but manageable and we had a drive which took two cars

Although I live in Devon I’m from Dorset and have family in Bridport- glad you enjoyed it

Edited at 09:32 AM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
No, Sidmouth is pebbles (sorry! I missed or forgot you asked for sand!)

Lyme is a pain for parking. If you stayed there (this is going to sound really sad as we live so close but we rented a cottage last year for three nights with my sister) you could get a place with parking? It was a bit of a walk down to the beach but manageable and we had a drive which took two cars

Although I live in Devon I’m from Dorset and have family in Bridport- glad you enjoyed it
Thank you. Yeah we prefer sand because we think it’s more convenient - making sandcastles is on the list! Lyme Regis is such a quaint place, it’s easy to see why it gets so busy. We have been visiting Bridport (but particularly West Bay) for over 40 years. We used to know the landlord of the Bridport Arms back in the day. We love everything around there and often stayed at the Marquess of Lorne amongst other places. The kids (who are now nearly 30!) didn’t like the beach there because of the pebbles but we loved it. Nice place. Lucky you. The parking tip is a good one - not just for Lyme Regis! Didn’t really think about that!