Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 20, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Gadgets to help housework for elderly or arthritis sufferers

I am worrying about my elderly parents and housework / general living. And am looking for gadgets and toys for the home that might make life easier, so lightweight, easy to use etc. Those things that you thought you would never use or need but now couldn't be without.

Just to be clear, this isn't a thread about social care help, or getting them a cleaner, or any of the myriad of other things that I know that you lovely dibbers will recommend - that's all in hand.

This is about gadgets and gizmos I can think about for Christmas presents. Big or small !

(Or buy for me to test 😉 )

Edited at 08:42 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

My nan uses her grabber all the time. I don't know where it's from but it's like this - careco/cat-dl09/handy-grabbers.htm

I struggle to open jars so my hubby got me an electric jar opener and its rubbish. I do use a Kenwood can opener though, that's great.

Nut crackers are perfect for opening bottles of pop.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Oh, and my nan has Alexa, Ring doorbell and smart lightbulbs. She sets reminders for her tablets, plays music, makes phone calls and controls the lights. Ring means she can tell visitors she's on her way to the door without trying to rush.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

We bought my DH’s Nan a robotic vacuum cleaner. She loved it and would invite her friends over for a cup of tea to watch it.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mum had a long shoe horn so she could sit and put her shoes on without having to bend forward.

She also had a “sponge on a stick” so she could wash her feet without bending over in the shower.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

A big tv / skybox remote
One remote controlled both huge buttons and we could program in her favorite channels
The two elderly relatives we have with us right now love there’s as well and love Alexa ring door bell and the coffee pod machine that they have with a timer much easier than a kettle for them
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

If they are tech savvy smart sockets in hard to reach places. Less technically able the remote control adaptors you can get to do a similar thing.

Another good little gadget is a pir nightlight that plugs into a socket. Comes on to light the floor area if it senses movement in the night, but also becomes a charged torch if there is a power cut.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A foot scrubber thing that sticks to shower floor so can clean the bottom of feet and a grabber is good for lots of things.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Wracking my brain for things we bought for my parents in their latter years...

Big button phone
Electric can opener
Long handled grabber and duster
Alexa!
Remote control from RNIB
TV with voice something or other for the partially sighted - I don't remember the exact details of this one but it was from John Lewis and I remember being impressed with it.
RNIB have some great things - talking meat thermometer etc. even if your parents aren't partially sighted they really help oder people who may not see smaller text etc. so well.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you all for your recommendations. They are all excellent.

Keep em coming !

I fancy a robotic hoover and a sponge ona stick. I hate having to bend over in the shower to scrub my feet since we had the bath taken out...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List