Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Oct 16, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dapple
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Car hire + insurance question

Im at a sixt office in Miami waiting for my car, im having an issue with insurance.

I booked through a UK price comparison site which without my knowledge booked via Sixt USA.

Sixt are saying that no insurance at all is included as it was a USA booking and legally does not require them to include insurance as many residents have their own insurance and they are asking for big insurance costs.

After 10 years of visiting the USA I have never experienced this issue. I usually get the sales patter that I ignore but the woman at the desk will not release the car until I pay.

Any advice?
Dapple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 16, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Sadly, if it was booked via a US site then no, no insurance - did you pay in £'s or $'s? £'s would indicate it was a UK booking which would include insurances. What does your paperwork say Dapple, no need for me to tell you to be well on guard as to whether this is the agent hedging for commission.

Edit: it may, may not, be cheaper to tell them to stuff it, the book online with, say, Alamo, get your emailed document and then go collect the car. The only problem is you may not be able to book a car from today at this late stage.

Edited at 03:17 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 16, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Nothing more I can say than Chris as above.

The key to this is your paperwork, that always shows what you have e.g. car class, insurances, airport user fees etc etc. Or not as the case may be.

OP. This sounds very much to me like a US booking in which case you will have to pay or ditch the car and go with a UK based broker and pick it up tomorrow. However, best of luck in this dreadful worrying situation.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Dapple - what was the outcome with Sixt?
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread