Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Aug 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
unidentified
Imagineer

Car Rental - Is spouse automatically included?

Help me out here for those who know or can remember...

I distinctly remember in previous years that a spouse was included as a second driver at no extra cost. Can't remember if this was a specific company's policy, or just an industry-wide thing.

Sometimes this was not mentioned by the person at the desk, but on reading the information it was always the case and definitely did not need to be paid for.

Has this changed more recently so second drivers must now be paid for?
unidentified is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

I dont believe its an automatic thing. Alot of companys include 1 extra driver free though but they usually state that.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
MabelJ
Proud to wear my Ears

My understanding was no, you require an additional driver they need to booked and paid for. To be fair, we usually find a voucher code for an additional driver free of charge and haven't paid for a long time due to this, but, no, they aren't included as standard
MabelJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

With alamo brits for example, you get an additional driver but you need to register their details..if you don't then they aren't insured to drive the car.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
MissSunshine77
Proud to wear my Ears

think it depends on the company if they are free or not but you still need to register their details.

When we arrived we were with alamo and when I asked they said 1 additional driver was free so I registered my husband and they took his driver license details etc
MissSunshine77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
From personal experience only. Alamo (if booked through Alamo Brits) and Avis (if part of a BA Fly-Drive) certainly include a free spouse. Maybe they do however you book - direct or through a third party.

I added Joan to our Alamo booking in February and got the revised STC bar code back but the guy on the barrier didn't ask to see her D/L.

Can't say how Avis check Joan's D/L until we get to the garage in November.

Mick
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. There are a number of issues at play here.

For many years a lot of companies gave 2 extra drivers for free even if they weren't a spouse etc. However that in the main has now dropped to 1 extra driver free.
As said before you need to enter their details either at online check in stage or at the desk/garage to get them onto the insurance. They cannot drive without being on the rental agreement.

There are also 'enhanced' packages whereby you can get 3 or 4 extra drivers included. This comes at a big cost but invariably includes the 'bring back empty' of fuel option.

Finally you have companies like Avis where the spouse is automatically entitled to drive.

Here is the sting in the tail!

Some 3rd party suppliers get the cheaper deals by not having these extra perks included so you must double check with them before comitting as an asumption could be wrong.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 10:52 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
unidentified
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Here is the sting in the tail!

Some 3rd party suppliers get the cheaper deals by not having these extra perks included so you must double check with them before comitting as an asumption could be wrong.
So under a third party booking, let's say Netflights or CarRentals.com - you know your booking is with Avis, Dollar, Alamo etc. and in the end this is who you will pick up the car from.

But when paying third party, do you then fall under the T&C's of the third party rental company, the car hire company or both?
unidentified is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by unidentified View Post
So under a third party booking, let's say Netflights or CarRentals.com - you know your booking is with Avis, Dollar, Alamo etc. and in the end this is who you will pick up the car from.

But when paying third party, do you then fall under the T&C's of the third party rental company, the car hire company or both?
Both. Invariably there aren't any changes but I do spot the 2nd free driver missing sometimes. So for example with Netflights etc just hover over the terms and conditions icon and see what comes up.

By the way Netflights have had some awesome prices lately, much better than historically.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

hi please see the below from the autoslash website will also paste full link

we use budget a lot i really like them and they always add my wife free of charge even with out seeing her licence.

Car Rental Additional Driver Fees
Published on November 21, 2016 by Jonathan
CATEGORIES: Car Rental Tips

Policies Vary by Company
It's important to keep in mind the policies of each company, since not all are created equal:
Alamo: There is a per day charge for all additional drivers. Alamo used to allow spouses as an additional driver for no extra fee, but as of 5/12/14 they have removed this benefit. Alamo now charges for any and all additional drivers regardless of relationship.
Avis/Budget/Enterprise/Fox: There is no additional driver fee for a spouse or domestic partner. Other individuals will incur a per-day fee. Avis and Budget currently charge $13 per day at most locations but cap the fee at $65 per rental.
Dollar/Thrifty: Both companies typically charge per day for all additional drivers (including spouses).
Hertz: There is a per day charge for all additional drivers, but if you are a member of Hertz #1 Club (free to join), the fee is waived for a spouse or domestic partner.
National: There is a per day charge for all additional drivers, but if you are a member of National's Emerald Club (free to join), the fee is waived for a spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member who has the same address on their driver's license as the Emerald Club member.
Sixt: There is a charge per day for all additional drivers (including spouses).
Others: For any companies not listed above, please contact the company directly to confirm their policy on additional drivers. What you may save with a discount company may be wiped out by a fee for an additional driver, so it's important to take this into account when comparing rates and options.

autoslash.com/blog-and-tips/posts/all-about-additional-driver-fees

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List