Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Aug 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

We had great success in May with extra FP - soarin several times, test track, even 7 dwarfs mine train. I think it is just down to luck on the day
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I may be wrong, but wasn't additional FP selection still kiosk based on 2014? Now you have the app so so don't even need to move to book more.
You're right - it was still kiosk based when I was last there in May 2014. They were still working out some teething issue with it as well.

I never experienced the old Fast Pass system so have nothing to compare it to!
Old 13 Aug 17, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The best way to beat the crowds remains to arrive early. Planning theee useful FPP at times they have the most impact is then very helpful. In February this year we got quite a few extra ones but only got E ticket extra ones in MK and AK (pre Pandora).
Old 14 Aug 17, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by popdriver View Post
For me it just takes the edge of Disney
I don't get that. There would be just as many people with or without FP. At least with FP you know for definite you will get your top three rides with no queue.

I thought it was an excellent system, other than for the tiers which were restrictive. We easily managed ten a day, if not more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ravenwing
Trainee Dibber

I've just booked all my fastpasses today, first visit to WDW and so first experience of this. Since I was fairly successful at getting everything I wanted, and several of them 2 or 3 times because we're planning on visiting the parks 3 times each, I don't think I'll be frantically hunting for extra ones when they're done.

In my imagination once we've done what we've booked then we'll spend the rest of our time exploring and doing any-time things, using snack credits and chilling. I will probably still check a couple of times though
ravenwing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nicohna View Post
You're right - it was still kiosk based when I was last there in May 2014. They were still working out some teething issue with it as well.

I never experienced the old Fast Pass system so have nothing to compare it to!
I think 2014 was the year it changed as we experienced (read suffered) the new system in Sept 14. Admittedly we stayed offsite so had to wait for the 30-day window and 7DMT was new, but after trying every day for several days (and failing) to get a FP we gave up. Old system was better and fairer in my opinion.

I don't even know which park I want to be in on a certain day, 30 days before I start my holiday...let alone what attraction I want to ride.

Next year we're onsite so I'm dipping a toe in the 'planning' water as it seems we'll need to book ADRs six months in advance. This will sway what parks we are in on certain days, so I may dabble with the FP+ system again.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

We got a lot less FP's this year and found the extra ones most as mentioned weren't really worth it.

AK worked the best out of all the parks.

Have to say last year we got 7 or 8 passes per visit (except for a rain affected MK) and they were pretty decent.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
AliPD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ravenwing View Post
In my imagination once we've done what we've booked then we'll spend the rest of our time exploring and doing any-time things, using snack credits and chilling. I will probably still check a couple of times though
You can still do all of that and book ahead, just do everything at your own pace is the best way.
The Gateway Inn 1994 - Howard Johnson 1996 - The Holiday Inn Express 1999 - The Sheraton World Resort 2001 - Howard Johnson Plaza 2004 - The Best Western Plaza 2006 - Econolodge Inn and Suites 2008 - High Grove Villa 2011 - Sandy Ridge Villa 2012 - Silver Creek Villa 2015 - Art Of Animation 2017.
AliPD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Ten a day, do me a favour... all the best rides max out very quickly... and for example;

HS - cannot mix decent rides
Epcot - no soarin & test track on same day

When you have used your three there are only the rubbish rides left

We just plan to hit the park and do our selected rides and que for the odd ones

It was a right hoot at universal with their fast passes
Old 15 Aug 17, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for the replies. A few further comments: when we were at WDW in Summer 2014 we definitely used the (then) new FP+ system.

Before travelling (and when I booked FPs at 60 days) I had believed that getting FPs for the a.m. was best in order to give scope for additional FPs in the p.m. However, this last week it has been clear to me that any FP before 11am is a waste of a FP because the lines are so reasonable between 9 and 11. After 11 the lines on the popular rides go crazy for pretty much the rest of the day (90mins and up) and that's when I'd want a FP.

Take today for example: I watched many families smugly drifting into Space Mountain along the FP line at 9:50 when the regular line was only 25mins. That strikes me as a waste of a FP because the regular line was short anyway. There were no FPs left for space mountain for the rest of the day (i.e. nobody could get another space mountain fastpass pretty much from rope drop). I rode space mountain twice between 9am and 10am (regular queue) and then again with a 2pm fastpass when the line was 100mins.

10 FPs in a day is very possible, but the majority (if not all) of these will be for less popular rides having low wait times anyway (sub 40 mins is low imho).

One final thing, some FP lines are now getting on for 15-20 mins in themselves (test track was the other day). No great shakes but at 9:20 the regular line is shorter than this. Anyone booking fastpasses at 60 days might be well advised to just arrive at the park for rope drop (exploiting the British jetlag!) and reserve FPs for the afternoon.