Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Aug 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Flights / strange goings on :)

So this flight malarkey has me stumped. Example...

Thought maybe we could do a week in NYC next summer ( twice we've done ny then Florida and trying to avoid an £8000 holiday next year ).
So flights direct to NYC from Edinburgh or Glasgow for my dates ( around 28th June) were £325 each -that was with United and virgin . Next day I look both companies are up to £500 odd return ( do they confer and decide to price increase together! )
So I then put in to mco instead which would stop off in New York and it's £335 the last time I looked ( that's for a two week holiday dates wise) - it's the same flight with an extra two flights so how is it cheaper ?
So if I did our usual jaunt of a few days in NYC then the rest in Florida as the prices are good - when I go in to united and change to a stay for a few days in NYC instead of straight through it jumps back up to £500 odd. This is confusing ! I know these dates are slowly being released and I need to keep on checking. Anyone got tricks up their sleeve that would help ?

Edited at 11:18 AM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

It's not a mystery, it's only confusing if you think they charge by distance or sector.

What you are doing when you price up your New York only flight is exactly that, pricing up a direct flight to New York - the key word is direct.
When you price up the flight to MCO via New York you are pricing up an indirect flight, less attractive to a lot of people and priced to compete with the more convenient direct flights to MCO.
When you turn the flight into one with a stopover they know you are choosing that routing because you actively want to go to New York so the price jumps up again because they are not trying to compete with the direct flights.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
It's not a mystery, it's only confusing if you think they charge by distance or sector.

What you are doing when you price up your New York only flight is exactly that, pricing up a direct flight to New York - the key word is direct.
When you price up the flight to MCO via New York you are pricing up an indirect flight, less attractive to a lot of people and priced to compete with the more convenient direct flights to MCO.
When you turn the flight into one with a stopover they know you are choosing that routing because you actively want to go to New York so the price jumps up again because they are not trying to compete with the direct flights.
Hmmm yes 👍 When you explain it like that it makes more sense I suppose - I think I have often seen people post that there flight price was the same - they just stopped longer at their 'stop off' when booking ... but I'm not finding that at all when looking ! Thanks for explaining
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs dee View Post
Hmmm yes 👍 When you explain it like that it makes more sense I suppose - I think I have often seen people post that there flight price was the same - they just stopped longer at their 'stop off' when booking ... but I'm not finding that at all when looking ! Thanks for explaining
Our flight price for this year (July/August) was the same with or without the NY stopover, it's just a matter of keep checking and checking again til something comes up.

Edited at 01:15 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List