Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Aug 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Most people assume household bills can't be paid by credit card , but with a bit of rearranging they can.
For example if you have a direct debit set up to pay a bill on say 28th of every month but make a card payment (with your points earning card) ten days before then the DD takes nothing because there's nothing to collect. This works for Sky for example (with Visa not Amex) ... alternatively if it is too much faff then set regular monthly payments to be taken directly from a card instead (sometimes this has a charge of 30p or whatever but to some it's worth it to avoid having to remember/make the payments.) That alone is an extra £1000 put through a year for families with TV, broadband and phone bundled together potentially more especially if you buy any box office services or have your mobile with Sky too. Obviously it works with other mobile providers too.

It's very possible to divert a lot more than food shopping and one off purchases through a points earning card with a bit of thought. Just clear the balance every month without fail !

Edited at 09:03 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Jumping in here, I'm hoping Neilhd or hornetgirl can answer as your replies here have been really clear and easy for my ludite brain to understand!

I did get an Amex around May last year as my brother referred me and we both got the bonus points, so I understand that bit, I got my card just before we had to pay off wdw last year, so it was easy to hit the spend target. It was 'free' for a year, I think it was the gold preferred card not the BA one...anyway I'm sure that part doesn't matter...

That was a long intro, I'm now getting to my question!

So that we could put all our spends on the Amex and build up points more quickly I added my DH to the account and he had his own amex card, but on my account. When the year was up I cancelled the card as I didn't want to pay the fee, it didn't even occur to me to do the "dance" you are suggesting and recommend DH for a card. Do either of you know if we could have done this and got the bonuses, I'm confused as DH did have a card, but not his own account? so I'm wondering if on your accounts your OH has a card at the same time for your account and then when you refer you also get a card for their account? I hope this makes sense.

By the way, the cancelling of a card must be a fairly common thing, as the person on the other end of the phone said I could reapply in 6 months and get the card for free again and the joining bonuses...

Thanks in anticipation for your replies
Yes you could have done that. You had added your DH as a supplementary card holder on your account. We do the same on all our cards so we can both spend on the card and hit the target easier. It doesn't affect referrals, so even if he is a supplementary on your account you can still refer him, get the bonuses and get yourself as a supplementary on his. It does mean you end up with loads of cards floating around the house, but it all works out!

Cancelling and re-applying is pretty common I think. I just re-applied for my gold card actually!
Old 20 Aug 17, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
All of your replies have been really helpful. It seems I was a bit silly cancelling the card without referring DH...oh well...thanks for all the tips.

And thanks Neilhd for confirming it's possible for us both to have a card and still do the referrals, it just makes it much easier for purchases if we both have one.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

This is very informative, thank you - my DH messes about with air miles too but I honestly wouldn't know what he does, or how he does it ! 😁
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List