Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 16, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for all your opinions everyone. I think I may well pay for the tank upfront as we have done in the past, I think we will be doing good a fair few miles as we are planning Busch gardens twice possibly.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 16, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post

I always return the car "full". That's filling up at Disney and getting to SFB still showing full

It takes all of 5 minutes to fill the car up.

I much prefer doing it that way, than the last day being annoyed that there is still 1/2 a tank that i'm not using.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 16, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Essex Benjy's!
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cazimlive View Post
I always return the car "full". That's filling up at Disney and getting to SFB still showing full

It takes all of 5 minutes to fill the car up.

I much prefer doing it that way, than the last day being annoyed that there is still 1/2 a tank that i'm not using.
Exactly, and as for the stress of finding somewhere to fill it up that's surely no worse than the stress of running out before you drop the car.
Either option takes the same amount of thought.
You do not have to fill up at the very last opportunity and we have always used this opportunity to get drinks etc which are cheaper than in the airport.
Each to their own but the op mentioned budget
Essex Benjy's! is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 16, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Hi
We always take the car back full, we feel up at Celebration and still shows full at MCO.
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
spoony
Apprentice Imagineer

spoony's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When you return the car full make sure you get something signed at handover, I didn't and trusted the guy who said I was good to go. Next thing I know is a $138 charge on my card and a claim from Dollar that it had a 1/4 tank on return (complete lie). My last refuel was $12.50 on the way in so proves nothing. Rookie mistake!
September 2024 Last family trip to WDW
spoony is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 16, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by TerryAFS View Post
Unless you're moving around Florida a bit, there's no point in paying for the full tank up front as you're not going to use all of it in two weeks. Go for the "I'll return it full" deal and it'll save you many dollars.

I did this last time and filled up on Sand Lake Road by McDonalds before driving to MCO. The tank still showed full when I got there.
Hi, was this the Shell garage?
Ta
Oct 2012 - 1st time to Florida | June 2014 - NYC 3 days / Florida 13 days | Oct 2016 - POR 10 nights / Hard Rock 4 nights | Aug 2017- New York City | July 2018 Cruise | July 2019 DLP | Oct 2020 - Florida
877 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 16, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post

we did the return full option , we filled up in kissimee got a snack at same time and showed as full still at the airport .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 16, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Our choice is return full; we only take one day hires at the beginning/end of our stay, driving to/from SW Fla, the tank remains half full on both journey's. In May we paid $11 to top off the Focus we picked up at Cape Coral to drop back at MCO. Used a Wawa about 12 miles from MCO, won't use the gougers on S Semoran Blvd!

It's whatever makes each person comfortable, I personally wouldn't want to risk running a motor in on fumes, others may like the 'will I make it' adrenaline kick
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We take the pay up front deal and take back with what is left in the tank. So be it if there say $5 or so left in it.

For those of you who fill up at Disney and get to the rental car return at MCO with the gauge just nudging full, don't be surprised if you get a car from the rental company and the tank gauge starts dropping about 5miles after you leave the airport, as the previous renter may have done the same as you in filling up quite a distance away
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

We prepaid a tank of fuel and when we started the car it was only 3/4 full... mentioned it to the guy on the alamo kiosk driving out of Miami airport and he discounted our tank of fuel to $7 ... bargain for a dodge grand caravan! Had never considered the tank wouldn't be full as thought they were checked before rentals.
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread