Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 May 22, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
80skid
Very Serious Dibber

Tips for 1st time in NY

Has anyone got any useful tips or must do's/don't bothers for a first time trip to New York?

We are there for 4 nights in December. Staying in Times Square

The only thing I know is a definite that we will be doing is going to see the big Christmas tree!
80skid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 22, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

What a great time to visit.
I would definitely recommend The Rockettes Christmas Show.
The one we saw was spectacular but it changes every year.
I’m sure each one will be as spectacular as the last though.
Also just walking around the city soaking up the atmosphere taking in all the decorations and fantastic window displays.One shop put a light show on each night at certain times but I can’t remember which one,but I’m sure someone will know.
I always recommend The Ride,if you get a good crowd on your bus it is great fun and we have done it twice.
Ice skating at The Rockefeller Centre,just iconic and has to be done.
Walking the Brooklyn Bridge back towards Manhattan as it’s starting to light up.
You are going at one of the best times.
Enjoy
Tracy x
Old 8 May 22, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
patm
Imagineer

patm's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can second going to see the Rockettes Christmas Show, but it is very cheesy!
Also we went in December and did a walking tour of all the store and their Christmas windows. It was free (payment was by tips) but really good
patm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 22, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

I loved NY in December when we went but be warned it is pretty cold so make sure you are well wrapped up. We watched people ice skating in central park and went to the Home Alone hotel. We didn't have great weather so couldn't do TOR or ES but still had a fab time. We are fingers crossed back at the end of the month
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 22, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would definitely recommend a stroll around Central park maybe ice skating, we could spend all day there. One world observatory is another must for us. Macy's Santaland is fun to see and the window displays and lights at Saks 5th avenue are always amazing.We're hoping to go again in Dec, favourite time of year to go.
Hope you have a fab time 🍎
Old 14 May 22, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So much to see and do I’d draw up a list and prioritise what you most want to see. I’d think of some indoor activities in case the weather is poor, lots of museums to choose from. There’s lots of options for those big views ESB, TOTR, OWO etc. you probably dont want to do all of them but will want to do at least one. If you can do a sunset visit you’ll get the best of both worlds the daylight views and nighttime lights. It’ll be amazing have a great time.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would say that you will more than likely go back so dont worry if you miss things!

I have been 3 times and still not seen everything.

I haven't been at that time of year but I would expect it to be VERY busy.

We would be out by 8 most days and then not return to the hotel until after dinner - we did lots of walking - 35000 steps one day!

Be prepared not to get a seat in a coffee shop - we found lots of people "working" in Starbucks etc.

Good food is expensive but the cheap food was mostly fried! If you can have a look at the Wholefood markets that are dotted around - great sarnies etc and often have a coffee shop.

Make a list of everything you want to do and check out where they are on the map - that way you can not have to move around too much.

We got the subway out to Coney Island (but it was warm!) then got off at Brooklyn on the way back, had a pizza under the bridge then walked back over the bridge.

We have also been on the train up to Beacon - its a beautiful train ride up the Hudson river, but in a shorter trip there are other things are are probably higher on the must do list!

I guess it depends if you want to "do it all" in a whirlwind or spend a bit longer at each place to just enjoy being there!

However you choose to do NYC it will be amazing.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
80skid
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you all, I don't really know what we want to do, I'm a bit overwhelmed by New York in all honesty, it feels too big for me!

I would have liked to do the empire state building but my friend who has been said TOTR is better.

We want to see the big Christmas tree and ice skate if the queue isn't too horrendous, I don't really know anything else there is to do!
80skid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Agree if you go top of the rock which is not a great looking building you can see all the other great looking buildings and central park. If you do like Christmas a lot like we do Google things to do at Christmas in NYC and there will be loads of suggestions from seeing all the window displays and ice skirting to special Christmas shows and Christmas markets. VisGet a weeks pass for the subway (works out cheaper than individual trips) which is easy to use and fast to get around. There's loads of museums the met being a particularly good one. And near central park. Obviously all the iconic buildings grand Central Station the flat iron building brooklyn Bridge statue of liberty the 9/11mamorial.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

youtube/c/SarahFunky
He's a YouTube channel to have a look at it has lots of advice from a locals prospective but aimed at tourists and first timers with loads of tips and tricks from arrival at the airport things to do and getting around plus things to avoid and where you can save money
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List