Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 May 22, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by johnykp View Post
This is our updated plan for anyone who would like to critique,

Thursday 14 London
Friday 15 London to San Francisco
Saturday 16 San Francisco
Sunday 17 San Francisco
Monday 18 San Francisco to Yosemite
Tuesday 19 Yosemite
Wednesday 20 Yosemite
Thursday 21 Yosemite to Monterry
Friday 22 Big Sur
Saturday 23 Big Sur
Sunday 24 San Diego
Monday 25 San Diego
Tuesday 26 San Diego to Anahiem
Wednesday 27 Anahiem
Thursday 28 Anahiem to Los Angeles
Friday 29 Los Angeles
Saturday 30 Los Angeles
Sunday 31 Los Angeles
Monday 1 London
How about….
Friday 15 as is.
Sat 16 as is . Love Bus, Alcatraz and evening on fishermans.
Sun 17 as is. Dylan’s ultimate cycle tour to Sausalito, Cable car to Union Sq and see.
Mon 18 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Tues 19 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Wed 20 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Thur 21 as is, getting to Monterey.
Friday 22 whale watching and aquarium in Monterey
Sat 23. Drive PCH down as far as Pismo/ SL Obispo (200 miles plus if using the PCH.. or Solvang (Danish town at the most).
Sun 24 drive to Universal, do it and stay the night.
Mon 25 drive to Annaheim and do some Disney.
Tuesday 26 Annaheim and more Disney.
Wed 27 Hollywood tour from Annaheim
Thurs 28 Drive to San Diego down the coast, see La Jolla
Friday 29 San Diego. USS Midway, Topgun Bar and harbour cruises (same parking spot)
Sat 30 San Diego Balboa Park.
Sun 31 Go and look at Tijuana Border where it meets the sea, wildlife spotting along the beach, afternoon shopping at Prem Outlets.
Mon 1 flight to London.

Big flaw in your plan is Monterey to San Diego in two days. That is 438 miles and it involves driving through LA… that is the inland route. That is at speed and without stopping. Add plenty on if you are sticking to the beautiful route 1.

This quote from Tripadvisor is, I believe a very accurate reply to a posted question.

QUOTE.
Re: HWY 1 from San Diego to Monterey in a day
2 years ago
Save
While physically possible, it isn't practical. It is a 500 mile drive starting out through 3 of the 6 most populous counties in America. Which means traffic. Lots and lots of traffic for the first 180 miles.

Once you actually get to Highway 1 at Morro Bay you are looking at around four to five hours of curves and slow going depending on what vehicles are in front of you.

You don't have time to stop ANYPLACE.

Most people doing a drive like this take many nights to do it; as few as three nights as many as six or seven, depending on the sights you want to see.

It would help to know where you are from, who is traveling (aprx ages), when you are traveling and what the rest of your trip looks like (total nights and plans).
END OF QUOTE.

A read of my 2018 report, linked from my signature and also my 2022 pre trip may give you some info on much of your current plan. It is worth adding that you don’t need to pick up your car until leaving SFO and to dump it asap in San Diego. You don’t need to have it, pay for hire or pay for parking. Getting to/from either airport is simple.

SFO int into town, BART then Cable car if light, taxi if lots of bags (we do hand baggage).

Downtown San Diego to airport You can see it, it is that close.. taxi.

I take into account your liking of fresh air etc in your plans and have thus loaded my suggestion towards fresh air, rather than very large cities!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
How about….
Friday 15 as is.
Sat 16 as is . Love Bus, Alcatraz and evening on fishermans.
Sun 17 as is. Dylan’s ultimate cycle tour to Sausalito, Cable car to Union Sq and see.
Mon 18 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Tues 19 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Wed 20 as is. Can’t help though, as never been.
Thur 21 as is, getting to Monterey.
Friday 22 whale watching and aquarium in Monterey
Sat 23. Drive PCH down as far as Pismo/ SL Obispo (200 miles plus or Solvang (Danish town at the most).
Sun 24 drive to Universal, do it and stay the night.
Mon 25 drive to Annaheim and do some Disney.
Tuesday 26 Annaheim and more Disney.
Wed 27 Hollywood tour from Annaheim
Thurs 28 Drive to San Diego down the coast, see La Jolla
Friday 29 San Diego. USS Midway, Topgun Bar and harbour cruises (same parking spot)
Sat 30 San Diego Balboa Park.
Sun 31 Go and look at Tijuana Border where it meets the sea, wildlife spotting along the beach, afternoon shopping at Prem Outlets.
Mon 1 flight to London.

Big flaw in your plan is Monterey to San Diego in two days. That is 438 miles and it involves driving through LA.
Hi,
You seem to have copied my old plan, I posted an updated one this morning that hopefully looks a bit more realistic. I looked at a few of your trip reports and they really helped
johnykp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hi,
You seem to have copied my old plan, I posted an updated one this morning that hopefully looks a bit more realistic. I looked at a few of your trip reports and they really helped
I am glad that you are towards realism. Whilst many things are doable, that does not mean that there will be any enjoyment in them.

You can achieve your objectives whilst cutting down on miles in the car.. and that can only be a good thing. I try to avoid return journeys at all costs!

There are a few further amendments to my post since you commented.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

So, Ive spent some time reading some trips reports on here and googling various attractions/places. Think this is our final plan, I do still have some questions if anyone can help?

Family of 4, 2 children 13 & 8. We live at the extreme north of Scotland so are used to travelling long distances(Glasgow is 5hrs, Manchester 8).

We are still a bit fuzzy with the Monterey-Universal part, ideally I would have had a stop half way in San Luis but with our sons birthday the next day I cant see any other way?

If anyone has recommendations or stuff we have missed then please let me know.

Friday 15 London to San Jose
Arrive around 5 local time and take an uber through to the Hilton San Fran Financial District

Saturday 16 San Francisco Hilton Financial District
General Tour including Palace of fine arts/Yoda Fountain/Disney Museum/Japanese tea gardens/Painted Ladies/lombard street. Possibly hiring the gocars to do these?

Sunday 17 San Francisco
Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and anything missed from the day before

Monday 18 San Francisco to Yosemite Rush Creek Lodge
Pick up Hire car and head to Rush Creek Hotel at Yosemite

Tuesday 19 Yosemite
Going to use this day to do some walking hiking(still to confirm what's suitable with kids? )

Wednesday 20 Yosemite
Basically the same as Tuesday, bit of pool time for the kids as well

Thursday 21 Yosemite to Monterey Hilton Garden Inn
Up early and head to Monterrey via fish creek to do the sugar pine railroad and a small horse riding trek (1hr)

Friday 22 Monterrey
Aquarium, whale tour(Do here or down in San Diego Later on? )

Saturday 23 Monterrey
Head of down the PCH hitting all the usual sites before arriving at Hilton Universal

Sunday 24 Universal Hilton Universal
Spend the day in the park as its my eldest's birthday and that's what he wants to do

Monday 25 LA

Spend the day doing the various sights and then head to Anaheim

Tuesday 26 Anahiem Hilton Anahiem
Disney Parks, we have the park skip tickets and the family love Disney,

Wednesday 27 Anahiem
Disney Parks

Thursday 28 Anahiem to San Diego Harbor Island
Disney parks (to do what we have missed so far) then head down to San Diego

Friday 29 San Diego
Zoo/Safari Park
Saturday 30 San Diego
Sea Cave Kayak, whale watch (if not in Monterey), Patriot Boat

Sunday 31 San Diego to LA
Leave SD and head up to our flight in LA, which is about 3pm check in

Thanks for reading
Thanks,

As you say a car isn't required in SFO, so we will pick it up when we leave. I looked at dumping the car as SD but from what I've read and what we want to do there (plus having to return to LA to fly home) I think it's worth keeping, it would only save round £200, which id probably spend on public transport.

We plan to arrive in Monterey late afternoon on Thurs 21st and then need to be at universal Hilton by night on sat 23rd. This is causing me the real issue. Ideally we would have a stop somewhere between these days (san luis/primo/oxnard) but I fear we will end up in Monterey longer and that's why I wonder if we cut the whale tour and do it SD?
johnykp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

These are the whales that you MAY see… as opposed to what you WILL see. There are obviously no guarantees.

I cannot directly comment on S Diego as I have never Whale watched there.. and not in July.

These charts must be viewed with a little caution.

When we did Easter 2018 of Monterey, we saw..
25 or so Humpbacks.
2 Greys
500 Risso’s Dolphins.
Sea Otters
2 Albatross
Sea Lions (you will see hundreds off Fishermans in SFO).

We did not see Orcas. You do sometimes see Finn Whales.

You pays your dollars and take your chance. It is of course worth having a look at what is in the cruise ships logbooks for the days previous to your trip.

Edited at 07:05 PM.
Old 22 May 22, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

For me the Monterey to universal stretch needs breaking up, that is one hell of a drive and you will want to stop off and look at some of the sights en route, particularly big sur. We broke the journey up with a one night stay at Pismo beach which had a nice relaxed vibe. We didnt go to San Diego so cant really comment on that stretch.

I get that you want to be at Universal for the birthday but you may need to tweak things further to make that work, where you wont be so exhausted or have missed the good bits getting there.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 22, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thanks Guys, All valid points, I just couldn't see a way of doing it, I have had a re-look at things and have updated to this below.

Main changes are heading away from Yosemite first thing and heading straight to Monterey( as we can do the sugar pine rail on our way over from san fran a few days before.

At Monterrey on the Thurs we will do the whale tour as my wife loves sunsets so its win/win, this gives us a sea kayak the next morning before heading down the PCH to San Luis.

Thoughts?

Friday 15 London to San Jose
Arrive around 5 local time and take an uber through to the Hilton San Fran Financial District

Saturday 16 San Francisco Hilton Financial District
General Tour including Palace of fine arts/Yoda Fountain/Disney Museum/Japanese tea gardens/Painted Ladies/lombard street. Possibly hiring the gocars to do these?

Sunday 17 San Francisco

Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and anything missed from the day before

Monday 18 San Francisco to Yosemite Rush Creek Lodge

Pick up Hire car and head to Rush Creek Hotel at Yosemite go via Fish Creek to ride Sugar pine rail road

Tuesday 19 Yosemite
Going to use this day to do some walking hiking(still to confirm what's suitable with kids? )

Wednesday 20 Yosemite
Basically the same as Tuesday, bit of pool time for the kids as well

Thursday 21 Yosemite to Monterey Hilton Garden Inn
Up early and head to Monterrey, Go on the sunset whale watching tour

Friday 22 Monterrey
Sea Kayaking and head down the PCH to San Luis/Prismo hitting various sightseeing before sun down

Saturday 23 San Luis/Prismo
More relaxing day with beach and various sightseeing before arriving at Hilton Universal

Sunday 24 Universal Hilton Universal
Spend the day in the park as its my eldest's birthday and that's what he wants to do

Monday 25 LA
Spend the day doing the various sights and then head to Anaheim

Tuesday 26 Anahiem Hilton Anahiem
Disney Parks, we have the park skip tickets and the family love Disney,

Wednesday 27 Anahiem
Disney Parks

Thursday 28 Anahiem to San Diego Harbor Island
Disney parks (to do what we have missed so far) then head down to San Diego via La Jolla

Friday 29 San Diego
Zoo and Balboa Park
Saturday 30 San Diego
Relaxing day at beach maybe do the Patriot Boat

Sunday 31 San Diego to LA
Leave SD and head up to our flight in LA, which is about 3pm check in