Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 21 May 13, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Our August 2012 Trip with Brangelina - Day 5 - Islands of Adventure & Universal Studios

Seems to be a recurring theme (I really should make 'some' notes this trip) but I can't remember what time we got up - probably didn't leave the house early anyway.

So we made our way to Universal Studios, probably after the usual 'Don't you worry Brangelina, we will put the rubbish out etc.' that occurred daily, and her saying in that bloody kids voice 'Come here Stweeve - awnd i'wll pwut some swun cweem on wuw'.

When we got there we weren't parked in the Cat in the Hat - but Lindsay had to get a pic of here there as she had brought her Hat along.

So we made our way in -

and as it say's:-

So we stopped to get a picture with Woody Woodpecker - Brangelina too as I am their official photographer - seeing as they thought there is no need to bother bringing a camera most of the time due to me having a good one, and the one Steve brought was about 10 years old and didn't have any room on it - great planning.

Now I had been telling Lindsay that she needs to go on The Hulk as I think its one of the best rides - especially on or 2010 trip when I went on it front row when I was recovering from a bad Throat and Ear infection to add another dimension (mainly nausea and not being able to walk when I got off).

Emily being Emily kicked up a fuss because she didn't want to go on it and even though Brangelina made their way to the main queue and we made our way to the Parent Swap area Emily still though we were going to make her go on it so that was a bit of a drama, but not too bad.

Brangelina finally rode the ride - and after us explaining what they need to do (well, a universal ride guy explaining to us at the entrance) and me saying to them make sure you look over to where we are when you are at the front it took some effort to get their attention but Steve did spot us. Didn't stop them making their way out when they got off which meant I had to go after them to get them back. So - they were there waiting with Emily and we waited to get on the ride - Lindsay was quite nervous (which I always find amusing).

We ended up near the back of the ride - not sure if this is better but off we went - Lindsay looking more and more nervous. She did enjoy the ride though - screaming 'I regret nothing' as we were nearing the end of the ride. She was quite proud of herself again for doing another scary ride.

So we milled around Islands for quite a bit and made our way over towards Spiderman because its been re-done - only to find out its closed due to an issue and they don't know when its going to re-open (drat!).

The weather at this point wasn't being our friend as it was drizzly from this point onwards so we made our way around to Toon Lagoon area and decided its probably a good time to get completely soaked - Lindsay and Emily didn't want to go on a water ride so myself and Brangelina went on the Dudley Rip dip thingy do dah ride (god knows what its really called but you get the drift). We decided for quickness we would get in the single rider queues which looked fairly short - until we get to the front and they had closed the ride due to thunderstorms in the area but should open soon.

We were there ages though but didn't want to leave because they had started sending the ride round to do the 'test' that they do to make sure everything was OK. This went on for ages.

It was at this point a woman appeared that made Brangelina look like ideal travel companions. This woman was hilarious though - she was looking for her son who should have been on the ride and she wasn't happy waiting. She was asking us if we had seen him (err - I haven't a clue love) and was shouting at the top of her voice in a rather narrow corridor his name and that she was 'gonna kick yur butt when I get you' - all the time wearing a USA cap, a Bum Bag and being as stereotypical american as they come. What was funny is she kept reappearing, but from different angles - like she appeared in the normal queue on the other side of the ride shouting for him, then she somehow appeared in an area I haven't a clue how she got to. I was expecting her to appear from the ceiling next!

Eventually we did all get on the ride - Sarah not happy because she had been split up from Stweeve (err - single rider queue love, shouldn't need an explanation). I have no idea how, but I dont think I could have jumped into an Ocean and been any wetter after that ride - I was so completely soaked its unbelievable. It was still horrible weather too.

Poor Lindsay and Emily were sat there patiently waiting for us all the time in their Ponchos - I did say to her (as she was holding my wallet) to go and buy themselves something but I don't think they did.

So - we decided now would be a good time to go and get some lunch and headed back towards Spiderman to see if it was open yet (still closed). As Lindsay loves the Philly Cheesesteak in NASCAR we made our way out of Islands towards NASCAR in the hope the sun would come out and dry me - the sun came out, I was still soaked.

So when we get into NASCAR I decided I would go and see if there are any hand driers in the bathrooms to see if I could get dry - and there wasn't!

Decided I would nip into the NASCAR shop to see if there were any T-Shirts there that I wanted but everything was so expensive in there and nothing took my fancy so decided I would just ride it out as I would dry eventually.

Gets back to the table to find that they have ordered (I had left instructions on what to get me). Found that this is what Lindsay buys when unsupervised!

Steve got one of those too (about $26) and Sarah got some kind of massive cocktail thing which I think was over £30.

We had our food (Brangelina not holding back as usual) and eventually the bill came. Again it was down to me to work out what we all owed and whats funny is Brangelina's share came to well over $100 and thats not including tip. When I worked it out, ours came to just over half what theirs did so I worked it out - again to looks of disbelief like I again was trying to rip them off. I just passed it over to them and said you work it out then and tell me what I owe for us as I don't want to have to do everything (knowing already as I had worked it out so I knew what I owed). She just said I know - just didnt expect it to be as much (err, you have had 2 souvenir drinks at over $60!). I still think they were expecting us to just split the bill in half every time and expect us to be grateful because we also had Emily so were buying kids meals too (which as you will know are cheap and include drinks anyway).

Continued ...
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 13, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
So - after we had sorted out the food, we made our way towards Universal, getting the obvious picture (we have taken this pic a zillion times now)

When we got in there we just milled around for a bit and there was a parade starting so took some pictures of that.

Once we could get moving again we made our way round to one of our favourite rides

Queues didn't seem too bad for the time of year but still took a while to get through.

Saw that they had moved the BTTF car and train again since our last visit.

The Animal Action show was about to start as we were walking past and as we had never seen it we popped in to have a look. We were quite far back but my camera has a good zoom on it so still managed to get a few OK photos.

The dog from Marley and Me

The dog from Men in Black 2

There were others there too but I wont bore you with loads and loads of random animal photo's as the lighting wasn't great so the pic's didn't come out so good on a lot of them.

I think it was on the way out that we decided to go on Rip Ride Rockit as this is the ride Lindsay was working herself up to due to the vertical climb. When we were walking into the park we would have gone on it then but we spotted that one car was stuck halfway up the climb and looked to have been there a while (really helping Lindsay's nerves).

Anyway - we did the usual queue up, reassuring Emily yet again that we were NOT making her go on it and when we got the the front Brangleina continued to go on the ride and we went over to the swap area (over the bridge thing) to wait for them to go on. Finally they were on it and went through and they seemed in high spirits when they got off - finally Steve's face looked like it had the email I sent it to smile.

So we go back to the queue and patiently await our turn, and finally get on the ride.

Lindsay - bless her, didn't cope with this as well as she did with The Hulk. Firstly she was in a panic about not being strapped in right, then confused picking a tune (whilst I was trying to put on a hidden track) and then when we were on our way she wouldn't open her eyes. She did it though so again, she was proud of that. She was gutted there were no souvenir Rip Ride Rockit drink things this year because she had promised herself one if she went on it.

So by the time we got off, it was starting to go dark and we made our way out of the park.

Customary Night City Walk Photos!

On the way home we passed the big McDonalds on International Drive so as I fancied a milkshake we popped in.

We didn't however realise this was a Gormet McDonalds so Brangelina got something off that menu - Lindsay and Emily got happy meals and I got my milkshake.

We then headed off home - probably had a few beers in the villa & watched a bit of telly before retiring for the evening.
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)

Edited at 09:54 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 13, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lee2112
Imagineer

I'm loving the Regular Show tshirt!
Old 21 May 13, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
AdmiralJack
Imagineer

Looks like a good day (the depressing Brangelina followers wake-up don't even know them ans I actually hate them ).

When I did the year programme at Disney we always loved universal, it was kind of the anti disney. Nice but not cheesy and in your face.
AdmiralJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 13, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Originally Posted by AdmiralJack View Post
Looks like a good day (the depressing Brangelina followers wake-up don't even know them ans I actually hate them ).

When I did the year programme at Disney we always loved universal, it was kind of the anti disney. Nice but not cheesy and in your face.
I wore my 'Disney Thumbs Down' T Shirt this day that Lindsay got me, got a couple of thumbs up off random people I love Universal
Old 21 May 13, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lee2112 View Post
I'm loving the Regular Show tshirt!
And do you know who else loves the Regular Show T-Shirt...
Old 21 May 13, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Loving it! How do you manage to keep your cool? I'd have lost it by now! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 13, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Really enjoying reading your trippies you paint a wonderful picture
Old 21 May 13, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Well done to Lindsay for going on scary things!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 13, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lee2112
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FloridaDave View Post
And do you know who else loves the Regular Show T-Shirt...
MY MOM! Yes!