Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 29 Jan 22, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 6 Friday 28 January

Peets was closed again today so I had the coffee to go from the main breakfast restaurant and the last of my granola and yoghurt.

Lunch was also left overs, half of the Firehouse Sub and Voodoo Donuts.

In the afternoon it was my last visit to my friends. Today we did a really fun tourist experience, we went grocery shopping and clothes shopping in their local mall

As we were in Trader Joes Grocery Store, I got
Lemon Chicken and Arugula Salad which is chicken with Moroccan Couscous and Red Quinoa and a Spicy Pimiento Dressing which cost $ 4.99

The dressing was a bit too spicy for me, so I gave it to my friends.

I also got some melon chunks which cost $3.69

( I forgot to take photos, so these are photos I found on Google search )
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Always wanted to go to a Trader Joe's, that salad looks nice 😀
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Always wanted to go to a Trader Joe's, that salad looks nice 😀
I never realized it was such a big deal lol, on a previous trip a few years ago, I stayed in an AirBnB opposite a Trader Joe's.

Its basically like going to Waitrose, they have mainly their own brand food items. Its one of the more expensive grocery stores, so my friends only get certain items there.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 22, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 7 Saturday 29 January

Today I transferred from Universal to Disney.

Peets was open so I got a Vanilla Latte, a parfait and plain bagel not toasted with cream cheese.

I woke up late, so I had the latte and parfait for breakfast and the bagel and the last of the Voodoo donuts for a snack / lunch before I got the car service from Universal to Disney.

The coffee was $4, the parfait was $6 and the bagel was $4. I forgot to get a receipt, so I can't remember what the total with tax was.

The afternoon was a bit all over place, checking out and getting the car service.

The driver estimated 1 hour but it ended up 1 hour 30 minutes. I'm used to LA traffic so I had expected that.

So by the time I eventually checked in to Tropicana Hotel, got sorted and went over to Downtown Disney it was evening time.

Before going to Downtown Disney I went to the shop at Tropicana hotel and got a parfait for breakfast, which cost $5.25.

I forgot to take a photo, but it basically looked the same as the ones from Peets.

I hadn't got any reservations for this evening, as I wasn't sure what time I would get here

So I just went to over to Downtown Disney when I was ready.

It was a Saturday evening and very busy, so I ended up going to La Brea Bakery Express and sitting outside.

I got mac and cheese and bread bowl which cost $18.32.

Yes it was expensive, but I need something filling, and half of the bread bowl I brought back to the room for breakfast.

Old 1 Feb 22, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 8 Disneyland Main Park

Today finally in Disneyland.

Breakfast started with the parfait in my room and then coffee from The Cove Cafe at Tropicana as I walked across the street to the park entrance. I got a small latte which cost $4.04.

I had refilled my water bottles before I had left The Hilton at Universal, so I didn't need to buy water.

I was scanned through the Main Gates at about 7.30am and was just at the back of the big crowds outside The Plaza when the park officially opened and they did the welcome announcement at 8.00am.

My mid morning snack was at Red Rose Tavern in Fantasyland at 9.55 am

I had the Garden Mozzarella Flatbread which is
Seasoned Tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, Basil, Balsamic Glaze, and Tomato Sauce. It came with BBQ sauce and Ranch Dressing. I didn't use the Ranch and kept it for later.
and

The Grey Stuff
Red Shortbread Cookie, Red Velvet Cake, Raspberry, Cookies & Cream Mousse and Heart Sprinkles

The pizza / flatbread was really good, and I love The Grey Stuff. I've had it before, so it was one of my few repeats from previous years.

Next snack at 11.43am was the Mango and Raspberry Dole Whip from Tropical Hideaway. This is a new quick serve restaurant beside Jungle Cruise in Adventureland. Most people just get the traditional Pineapple Dole Whip at The Tikki Room. I've had that so many times that I wanted to try something different. You can get the different flavours on their own or you can do what I did and mix them. It cost $6.45

I actually didn't eat it at the restaurant, I took it around to The Mark Twain Riverboat. I timed it just right and managed to get a seat right at the front of the boat and had my icecream while going around The Rivers of America.

After the Mark Twain I went to the nearby Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante to refill my water bottle. I do this throughout the day when ever I need to. At this restaurant, they have a filtered water tap station and ice and anyone can walk in and refill their water. Its in the outdoor seating area, and you need to go in through the exit to find it.

Lunch was a Cafe Orleans. I had a reservation for 2pm. I did the reservation when it opened , 60 days in advance and at 3am / LA time which is 11am UK/ Ireland time. I was so glad I did, as the restaurant was very busy and I don't think they were doing walkups.

I requested a table outside when I was checking in.

I ordered coffee and water to start. The coffee is Joffreys and again was served with a little jug of cream

For my main I ordered the famous Monti Cristo.
Its served a little different that Blue Bayou. At Cafe Orleans they have Pommes Frites, which are twisted Parmesan cheese fries.

The fries were really good and I love the Monti Cristo. I've had it before at Blue Bayou. This one came with an orange jam and a cajan spiced Remoulade sauce. The orange jam was good but not something I would eat with the sandwich. The Remoulade sauce was really good and went well with the fries.

The meal cost $26.94 and I gave a $5 tip

At the end of the meal I asked for a cup of water to go and refilled my water bottle bottle.

My afternoon snack was a Mickey Cake Pop at Pooh Corner in Critter Country. I have never had any of the snacks from this shop so I decided to try something small. It cost $5.92 and was really good.

The outside is hard chocolate with strawberry sugar and the inside is a chocolate brownie, which was really good. It was a soft ,cake and the chocolate was really good. I don't normally eat American chocolate as I find it not nice compared to our chocolate but this was good, no after taste like with Herseys!

My evening food at about 7.00pm was from Galaxys Edge.
I got a Ronto Wrap which cost $14 and then from Docking Bay 7 I got a Batuu Bon which cost $7.53

I took both of them to the seating area outside.

The Ronto wrap is Roasted Pork, Grilled Pork Sausage, Peppercorn Sauce, tangy Slaw, wrapped in Pita

The Batuu Bon is Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Mousse, Coffee Custard

I asked for a To Go box for the Batuu Bon but took a photo before I squished it too much getting it off the plate.

Before I left Galaxys Edge I refilled my water bottle at the water refill station. Again, like at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante it is a filtered water tap.

I managed to stay until the park closed at 11pm!

Edited at 05:59 PM.
Old 1 Feb 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Wow a long day in the park, with some lovely food and snacks along the way. The Batuu Bon looked tasty.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 22, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Wow a long day in the park, with some lovely food and snacks along the way. The Batuu Bon looked tasty.
Lol, it's what I always do. On my usual June trips, the parks close at midnight, so 11.15pm onwards is my normal home time .

The Batuu Bon I've had before, so I knew it was good
Old 2 Feb 22, 06:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 9 Monday 31 January California Adventures Park - Lunar New Year

Today was my second park day and I had planned and booked my park reservation for California Adventures. Then about 2 weeks after I booked my reservation, Disneyland announced The Chinese Lunar New Year Festival for my park day.

I was so excited to finally get to experience one of the Disneyland special festivals.

This morning I decided to try a small caramel latte from the coffee shop at Tropicana hotel. The syrup was 50 cents extra, so the total including tax was $4.58.

Once I got into the park I headed straight for the Lunar New Year Festival area. This was set up at Paradise Gardens area, in front of the lagoon area at Little Mermaid ride.

As it was early, the food booths were not open but I decided to buy the Sip and Savor Pass. This cost $43 for 6 tabs. Then when the food booths opened, all I had to do was exchange a tab for a food item.

The regular food places in Paradise Pier also had Lunar New Year food items but the tabs could only be exchanged for Sip and Savor food items.

Sip and Savor Menu

Lunar New Year Menu

You can order all the food items at any booth but you can only pick up specific items at the specific booths.

As it was early and the food booths were not open, I had Breakfast Burrito at Pacific Wharf Cappuccino Cart. This was Chorizo, Eggs, Potatoes, Peppers, and Monterey Jack Cheese in a Flour Tortilla and cost $10. It came with a side of salsa which I did not take.

I came back to the Festival Food Booths around 12pm and I started off by ordering 4 items and then getting 2 of those items from that booth.

The first two items I got were
Beef Bulgogi Short Rib on Rice with Green Onion Salad ($8.25)
Spicy Pork Dandan Noodles
Pan-fried Noodles with Ground Pork and a spicy Tri-Chile Blend Sauce ($7.50)

The beef was really good. The noodles were a bit too spicy for me but I still finished the portion. The spicy on the noodles got me on my tongue and lips , not the back of the throat like with Mexican spice, but I was fine after a few drinks of water.

In the afternoon about 2.30pm I came back for 2 more items.

Mickey Chinese Hot Dog Bun
Brioche-style Mickey-shaped Bun stuffed with Hot Dogs and finished with Sesame Seeds and Scallions ($7)

Mickey Purple Sweet Potato Macaron
Red Macaron filled with Purple Sweet Potato Buttercream, with Crème Fraîche Center ($6.50)

The hot dog bun was ok, more a novelty item than a specialty item.

The Macaron was really good. It does not sound that nice but it was one of the most popular items and sold out in the afternoon. I would compare it to Paul's Macarons , which I love.

I came back about 4pm to get my last 2 items but I only managed to get 1

Spicy Three-Cup Chicken Served on a bed of Jasmine Rice
($8)

This was really nice, a bit spicy, but not as hot as the noodles.

I wanted to get the Mango and Pineapple Pie ($6.50) but it was sold out.

I should have got something else to use up my last tab but I really didnt want any more savoury food.

The pass cost $43 and I got food worth $37.25. If I had got the mango and pineapple pie I would have got food worth $43.75.

For me , getting the pass was worth it, and I got a cool souvenir. The portions were small though, they were just tasting portions but they were fine for me.

I still wanted something sweet so I got some fruit at the fruit cart at Carsland. A tub of cut mango and a small bag of grapes which cost $7.52

Edited at 06:09 AM.
Old 2 Feb 22, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

How exciting to be able to sample the Lunar New Year foods, the last taster of chicken and Jasmine rice looks tasty 😋
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
great day, that macaron looks interesting
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List