Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Feb 22, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

California Tour July

Hi Guys,

Planning a trip to tour all of Cal with the wife and 2 Kids( 13 & 9),for the last 2 weeks in July, Looking at 14 days or maybe a few more if required looking for some recommendations, tips etc on the following plan.

Arrive/Depart in San Diego

Day 1 in San Diego
Day 2 Head up to Anaheim
Day 2-7 In Anaheim at Disney/universal etc
Day 9 pick RV and head to Joshua Tree
Day 9-17 would be in the RV and head to areas on the attached picture before heading back down the PCH to San Diego.

I'm pretty comfortable with the plan and what's required up until we pick up an RV.

From that point Im looking for ideas of where is best to travel, is there enough time to do all that, Is it worth going further north than San Fran?

We want to hit points of interest and he out doors as much as possible (We will probably hire bikes aswell).

Thanks

Edited at 05:17 PM.
johnykp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Why are you missing driving the PCH ? That would be a must for me

Given you are in a RV I think you may be able to do SF as well but it is a heck of a lot of miles driving
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

PCH would definitely be a must for me too if we had a car.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

Hi,

I ran out of spaces to use on Google, the plan would be to drive down the PCH on the way back to San Diego. That way it'll be a loop of cali.

The distance is an issue for me as well, we are not adverse to driving long distances as we live in the north of Scotland so have to drive everywhere. However I don't want to take up loads of time driving. It's easy to plot it on google but if people think I should shorten it to spend more time in areas then id certainly look at it
johnykp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
PCH would definitely be a must for me too if we had a car.
Edited my description to reflect this. Thanks
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

No matter what you end up deciding to do we would recommend more time if you can. If you are flying into San Diego I would spend a couple of days there and the you don’t have to go Bach there and fly home from LA

Edited at 05:34 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

For Yosemite and San Fran we would say you need 3 nights. If you take into account you will arrive say mid day you would have a half day 2 full days then leave the next morning
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

I think its too much in the time you have. We did 16 nights, in and out of LAX and a loop covering Sequoia, Yosemite, San Francisco, Monterey, PCH, with Six flags and Knotts berry farm as our theme park days. It was a lot of miles but we had at least 2 nights in each place. I agree that you need 3 nights in each of Yosemite and San Francisco and will need a couple of stops down the PCH back to San Diego. Can you save the Grand Canyon and vegas for another trip?
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 22, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
johnykp
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
I think its too much in the time you have. We did 16 nights, in and out of LAX and a loop covering Sequoia, Yosemite, San Francisco, Monterey, PCH, with Six flags and Knotts berry farm as our theme park days. It was a lot of miles but we had at least 2 nights in each place. I agree that you need 3 nights in each of Yosemite and San Francisco and will need a couple of stops down the PCH back to San Diego. Can you save the Grand Canyon and vegas for another trip?
Thanks for the reply, Yes I could scrap them, it's a fair bit off plan to go and tbh I did wonder if the heat would make Vegas / grand canyon a no go anyway. I'd much rather visit places and spend some quality time at them than a stop and go quick tour to cram everything in.

Looking more into it,

We will arrive in San Diego at 5pm on the first night, have an over nighter and spend all day in SD and them travel to Disneyland that night.

Spend 2 days at Disney and then onto universal for a day. (All this could end up being 4 days).

Then rent an RV and spend the rest of the trip (roughly 10 days) travelling. This is where I need to decide(reccomdations welcome) what's feasible to do and what's not).

I worry about taking an RV to SF as I've read that taking them in cities is a nightmare, so I may even scrap that and stick to a more rural trip?

We will be back west at some point anyway, so the cities can be visited then as a more urban holiday?

Thoughts?

TIA
Old 5 Feb 22, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Touching on what you’ve said in your last post … would driving an RV be an experience that was enjoyable or memorable for the wrong reasons?

Personally I’ve never done it because the thought of a huge vehicle and some of those roads is not appealing but I don’t enjoy driving that much so YMMV