Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 Mar 22, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 6 : Rocket launch and Port Saint Lucie day

Florida 2022 – The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 6 : Rocket launch and Port Saint Lucie day

I’d always wanted to see a rocket launch and been fascinated by space travel since an early age. I loved our previous visit to Cape Canaveral (then Kennedy Space Center) with the family. In fact, on another visit we were due to see a launch but it was postponed because of the weather. It was rescheduled for about 3am a few days later and I got the whole family out of bed and into grounds at All-Stars Movies in case we could see it from there! We were almost immediately investigated by Disney Security, who thought it hilarious! We didn’t see it go up. The kids have never forgiven me for their embarrassment.

So today I was very excited at the prospect of seeing a launch, albeit from a long way again. I’d set an alarm so that I wouldn’t forget and it all fell nicely for breakfast time. Luckily we were at the Holiday Inn that night and had a higher room facing north – perfect for viewing. We were ‘discussing’ exactly the right spot to look when there it was! The sun was shining off it and it was beautiful – even though about 75 miles away! I wasn’t quick enough to get the best photo as was too busy shrieking, but got the vapour trail. Happy me!

Holiday Inn free breakfast was very good and all done by ordering, rather than a buffet. Our server was lovely very efficient, seemingly on her own in there. She was interested in our trip and admired my nail art!

Today was Presidents Day – Happy Birthday George Washington! We headed off to the nearby Riverwalk and the Botanical Gardens first. There was the most huge and majestic Banyan tree at the Riverwalk.

There were also signs implying that the metal of the walkway might give electric shocks! I guess this builds up due to heat? We did get several little shocks when we touched the railings – so beware if you go there! Lots of people out walking and everyone saying hi to each other. There were many people fishing again too.

From the river we went over to the Botanical Gardens. This was closed due to the holiday on the indoors but the outside was open with no fences, just part of the park. Lots of lovely plants, some cute terrapins and a very colourful big lizard.

Next up was shopping! We went to the Treasure Coast Square mall. I was aiming for Bath & Body Works and Will was there for American Eagle. I was careful not to buy too much as previously I’d had to do the ‘unpack of shame’ at Miami check in due to overweight purchases!
Will spent a lot on clothes (for him!) but he does love that shop as the jeans fit so well. We had a coffee at Starbucks and browsed the other shops. There was an amazing Disney and other movie memorabilia shop.

There was a big booth for playing Halo – we sent pictures of this to our kids as they both work in the industry and I’d not seen anything like it here.

Beach next and we drove to Jensen Beach over the causeway, stopping to get $40 of petrol on the way. There were a lot of roadworks and a big diversion through a residential area. It was a very pretty neighbourhood and actually had a hill up and down in it! The locals must have been very annoyed with all the traffic going down their street. It looked like the roadworks would be ages too. Being a holiday it was very busy and slow.

We sat on the beach for about an hour – it was rough again and the flags were out warning people of rip currents. I watched the sanderlings running around.
We didn’t stay too long as we were worried about getting stuck in big traffic jams in the detour and over the causeway. It did take a lot longer going back. A woman got out of the car she was in and walked over the bridge. It was a long walk so I don’t know why she did it!

In the evening we went back to the Mall to go to the cinema. First we stopped at Ruby Tuesdays for dinner, again very busy. There seemed to be a lot of orders for collection which were getting mixed up and delaying everything.

We saw Death on the Nile and really enjoyed it. Very comfortable seats with personal adjustments for back and legs/feet. I didn’t fall asleep, which was a result considering having just eaten and tiredness from the day. We had accessed the cinema through the Mall. Of course, it was closed after the film and it was a long walk round the buildings to where we’d parked the car out the front by the restaurant! All good for the steps count ...

Tomorrow – to the Keys!

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...2#post15302382

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 01:15 AM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you at last managed to see a launch even if it was a few miles away!

Joan
Old 31 Mar 22, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goosey-Lucy
slightly serious Dibber

Lovely day, we’re spending the day at the botanical gardens in August to split the drive up from Miami
Goosey-Lucy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goosey-Lucy View Post
Lovely day, we’re spending the day at the botanical gardens in August to split the drive up from Miami
Definitely worth it and the Riverwalk is right next to the Gardens. Allow an hour at least

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I’ve always wanted to see a launch too, I’d have been beside myself with excitement too 😂
Another great day

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great stuff.

Glad to see that you caught the launch!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List