Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 11 May 22, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
If I were in your situation, I would be thinking of somewhere in the Central Belt or the East Coast of Fife. There are plenty quieter areas that are in driving distance of lovely lochs to pop the kayak in.
Hope this helps. X
Originally Posted by saratogajan View Post
I would recommend fife. You can walk the fife coastal path. It’s just beautiful. We go every year using east fife holiday homes. The beach at Elie is fabulous.
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Fifer here too! Loads of quiet beaches and great walks along the coastal path. Many lochs do kayaking, our local near Kinghorn has loads of water sports like paddle boarding and kayaking. The East Neuk has loads of rural holiday lets.
thanks guys, looks like we were looking in the wrong area lol! We'll start having a look around that area then thanks, as looks about 6 hour drive for us so that's perfect. Ideally, in a 'normal' world we'd be doing a road trip and amongst people but needs must, so a central base it is!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I’d agree, Loch Lomond can be so busy, it’s a magnificent place but because it’s so close to Glasgow and an easy drive from Edinburgh it does attract a huge amount of people. It’s probably not the quiet get away you would have hoped for.
Fife is beautiful, some amazing coastline and quiet walks.
Another suggestion would be East Lothian although I would avoid the actual town of North Berwick, which again would be very busy. Seacliff beach is a hidden gem, stunning views of nearby Tantallon castle and the bass rock.
Old 11 May 22, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I’m actually staying in the East Neuk of Fife for a few days at the moment (live in Edinburgh). Just returned from a walk along the beach at Kingsbarn. It was almost deserted - perfect if you are avoiding people.

Here is a photo I took while there.

Edited at 03:55 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Here’s my Romanian rescue dog loving Elie beach!
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Granbran
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
If you do get up here, don’t forget to go to Anstruther fish and chip shop. Best fish and chips for miles around.
1991 Days Inn,1993/96/98 Flydrive,1994 Catalina Inn,2000 Lindfields,2003 Thousand Oaks, 2004/2006 Liki Tiki,2005 Cruise,2007/2008 Regal Palms,2010 High Grove,2011 Star Island, 2012 Marriots Cypress Harbour,2013 SSR/Sheraton Vistana,2015 Calabria,2016 India,2017Westgate/Cabana Bay,2017POFQ/WestgateTown,2018 India,2019 CBR&Westgate Town
Granbran is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Granbran View Post
If you do get up here, don’t forget to go to Anstruther fish and chip shop. Best fish and chips for miles around.
sounds great but we can't go anywhere inside as I'm medically vulnerable and unable to be vaccinated so haven't been anywhere inside (other than home!) for over 2 years
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Granbran View Post
We are going there tomorrow. It’s a tradition for us.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
We are going there tomorrow. It’s a tradition for us.
Oh we have been a few times!

Anywhere on that Fife coast, all the lovely little towns up as far as St Andrews has long been an annual trip for us (We've lived West of Edinburgh for 7 years now)
Our youngest is now at St Andrews Uni so we go there more than we ever did. What an absolutely gorgeous town it is there!

Plenty of empty beaches on all of that coastline, stunningly beautiful scenery too. Can't really go wrong
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 22, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Oh we have been a few times!

Anywhere on that Fife coast, all the lovely little towns up as far as St Andrews has long been an annual trip for us (We've lived West of Edinburgh for 7 years now)
Our youngest is now at St Andrews Uni so we go there more than we ever did. What an absolutely gorgeous town it is there!

Plenty of empty beaches on all of that coastline, stunningly beautiful scenery too. Can't really go wrong
It is even nice and sunny. My husband is away now to play 9 holes at nearby golf course. We love St Andrews also.
Old 15 May 22, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
sounds great but we can't go anywhere inside as I'm medically vulnerable and unable to be vaccinated so haven't been anywhere inside (other than home!) for over 2 years
I travelled round Scotland quite a lot over covid period, I needed a break and took my dog.
I think if you are that poorly that you can’t have your husband go in to pay for petrol, that there isn’t anywhere that quiet I can recommend whilst still having pay at pump petrol stations.
I stayed in Wick for a night up near John o groats and remember a pay at pump Tesco, but that is the only one I can think of.
Would it be worth going close enough to home not to need petrol, but then go as remote as possible?