Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 6 Apr 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile Switch/playstation/x box

I've no clue when it comes to consoles. DS has voiced he'd like one but thought he was too young.
Now with the lock down and no siblings thought it might be a good investment (on restricted use)

But which one
Switch
Playstation 4
Xbox

It would mainly be for minecraft I think.

Any one have any advice?
Old 6 Apr 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

is cost a factor? if so, whats your budget? and does he have any friends he would want to play with? if so, what consoles do they all own?

if its *just* to be used handheld, then a switch lite is fine, otherwise youre looking at the full one (~£100 more) if you want to plug it into a tv.

ps4 and xbone can be picked up second hand quite cheaply, whereas switches tend to hold their value more at the moment.

if its for minecraft, what about a raspberry pi? if you have various bits lying around already (usb keyboard/mouse/usb psu) you can get one for under £50 for the pi, case and a decent sized SD card and will play minecraft. its also a good device to learn programming/robotics with.

minecraft/en-us/edition/pi/

finally, find out what other games he is likely to want to play, some titles are exclusives to certain consoles, so this would sway any decision you make.

hth

*edit*
the kano kit is reduced in price right now, its only the raspberry pi3, not the newer 4, but it will still run minecraft and be a good kit if you dont already have a keyboard/mouse/etc - kano.me/uk/store/products/computer-kit

Edited at 03:08 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Perhaps it would be easier to buy the console that his fiends have as then he can play online with them easily which is nice at times like this. We have 6 kids so have most consoles, certainly the 3 you mention and the most popular is Xbox one. If you are buying one, get from Tesco or similar as they will remain open if you have any issues with it.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

We have discussed getting a switch but my understanding is the game selection is limited. My DD20 has bought one but she loves animal crossing and Mario cart.

I think my choice would probably be an xbox one if that's what his mates have as he can then play on line with them (that costs extra by the way because you have to pay for xbox gold live.

What ever you do dont forget to factor in the cost of earplugs as most parents who have teenage boys who play on line will understand. You can thank me later.

@Wayne- I always like reading your comments and -much as I detest minecraft i love the challenge of getting it running on a Rasperry PI - I may just give that a go later as I bought one for our wedding so I could display a real time slide show of guests photos - I may have just found another use for it.

BB
Old 6 Apr 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
is cost a factor? if so, whats your budget? and does he have any friends he would want to play with? if so, what consoles do they all own?

if its *just* to be used handheld, then a switch lite is fine, otherwise youre looking at the full one (~£100 more) if you want to plug it into a tv.

ps4 and xbone can be picked up second hand quite cheaply, whereas switches tend to hold their value more at the moment.

if its for minecraft, what about a raspberry pi? if you have various bits lying around already (usb keyboard/mouse/usb psu) you can get one for under £50 for the pi, case and a decent sized SD card and will play minecraft. its also a good device to learn programming/robotics with.

finally, find out what other games he is likely to want to play, some titles are exclusives to certain consoles, so this would sway any decision you make.

hth

*edit*
the kano kit is reduced in price right now, its only the raspberry pi3, not the newer 4, but it will still run minecraft and be a good kit if you dont already have a keyboard/mouse/etc - kano.me/uk/store/products/computer-kit

Don't confuse the issue with more choice 😀
Thanks we probably do have spare computer but around the house actually.

Budget wise - we aren't too restricted as I'd been saving up my nectar points for a few years so we did have a console or similar in mind for it for next Christmas/8th birthday. I have £400 worth of nectar now.

As he is only 7 his friends seem divided a couple have xbox, couple playstation and 1 has a switch (not lite).
Old 6 Apr 20, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Are there any particular games that he wants to play?

I got a Switch Lite a few months back because I wanted to play Pokemon (exclusive to Switch). Also Mario Kart which I think is also Switch/Nintendo exclusive. Switch Lite is great as a handheld but can't be plugged into a TV, you need a regular Switch for that. Also some games don't run well on the Switch Lite due to lack of some controls or inability to plug into TV.
Old 6 Apr 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Are there any particular games that he wants to play?

I got a Switch Lite a few months back because I wanted to play Pokemon (exclusive to Switch). Also Mario Kart which I think is also Switch/Nintendo exclusive. Switch Lite is great as a handheld but can't be plugged into a TV, you need a regular Switch for that. Also some games don't run well on the Switch Lite due to lack of some controls or inability to plug into TV.
The only one he knows at the moment is minecraft.
Old 6 Apr 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
yehacantwait
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Nintendo switch is near on impossible to get hold of at the minute. Some are selling for around £600 on Ebay. The Ps4 and Xbox1 are best for playing minecraft. Just find out what one his friends have and get him the same as they like to play online with each other.
yehacantwait is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We have a switch LB is nearly 6 and is absolutely loving it at the moment, we've got Mario kart 8 and Mario Party but I think he will be wanting more games come his birthday. We've really enjoyed playing with him too and it gets him excerising with it too.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by wanye View Post

hth

*edit*
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
We have discussed getting a switch but my understanding is the game selection is limited. My DD20 has bought one but she loves animal crossing and Mario cart.

I think my choice would probably be an xbox one if that's what his mates have as he can then play on line with them (that costs extra by the way because you have to pay for xbox gold live.

What ever you do dont forget to factor in the cost of earplugs as most parents who have teenage boys who play on line will understand. You can thank me later.

@Wayne- I always like reading your comments and -much as I detest minecraft i love the challenge of getting it running on a Rasperry PI - I may just give that a go later as I bought one for our wedding so I could display a real time slide show of guests photos - I may have just found another use for it.

BB
So at the risk of hijacking the thread - managed to get Minecraft installed and running on my RPI 3 - and then got bored with it so I am back to "Planet Coaster"

It's either that or housework!