Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Mar 11, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
happy bunny
Imagineer

happy bunny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Plane Graveyard

Not certain that i'm in the right section, but whilst I was at work today, one of the staff was planning his holiday next year, and is planning on flying to LA, then driving to San Fransico, then onto Vegas and back to LA, taking various sights in.

He raised the question, did anyone know where the plane graveyard is?
Apparently, there are loads of planes, just parked up, and you can stop overlooking them.
None of us did, but I told him, that I would ask some well travelled people, if they could help.

So, any plane people out there that could shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me
Old 15 Mar 11, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
vkky
Trading Disney Pins

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Just googled out of curiosity, awesome images on google maps (sat view)

i think this is what you were talking about?

Aircraft Boneyard
Tucson, Arizona 85707, United States
vkky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 11, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Cal and Dave
Imagineer

Hi when we went in 2004, we came down from SanFrancisco via Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, it is just before you get to Edwards Airforce Base, and it is huge There is a Denny's quite close we stopped there for some breakfast
Cal and Dave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 11, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
There are quite a few boneyards in the desert around this area

the one mentioned in Tucson, Arizona has a lot of military aircraft and you can do a tour of part of this facility but is way down south near the Mexican border so not one that many would get to see

There is one at Mojave airport which is on the Bakersfield to Barstow road but the number of aircraft now stored at mojave is well down on what it was a few years ago

there is another boneyard at Victorville between Barstow and Los Angeles these tend to be more civilian airliners but there are plenty of military aircraft around this area as well

Access to most of these boneyards is very limited and if you stop to take photos you may attract the attention security

Edited at 10:42 PM.
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 11, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
birchco
Imagineer

birchco's Reviews
There is an advert on TV with what looks like a plane graveyard on it at the moment, think its on channel 4, I was wondering where it was and if it was real!
Old 15 Mar 11, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Cal and Dave View Post
Hi when we went in 2004, we came down from SanFrancisco via Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, it is just before you get to Edwards Airforce Base, and it is huge There is a Denny's quite close we stopped there for some breakfast
that bone yard near edwards airforce base is the mojave airport one

Mojave aiirport location

as i said there is not as much at mojave as there used to be
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 11, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
happy bunny
Imagineer

happy bunny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Thanks for the info
I will pass it on.
Old 16 Mar 11, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post

We came past the area where all the aircraft are stockpiled, going from Vegas to Yucca Valley [Palm springs].
It was not Mojave , but cannot remember the name, there was lots of aircraft. Will be phoning cousins in California this week, so will try and remember to ask them the name.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 11, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by rpbert1 View Post
We came past the area where all the aircraft are stockpiled, going from Vegas to Yucca Valley [Palm springs].
It was not Mojave , but cannot remember the name, there was lots of aircraft. Will be phoning cousins in California this week, so will try and remember to ask them the name.

if you went down interstate 15 from vegas to Barstow and then down the 15 towards San Bernardino you would pass victorville, and may have seen the Southern California Logistics Airport, they have a storage facility at this airport
Old 16 Mar 11, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Just catching up Force ten, and yes i think it was that one, lots of civilaian planes there, and cousin said we where not allowed to stop
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread