Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Feb 12, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post

PS To put the Six Flags prices into perspective for a family of 4:

Six Flags entry including Platinum Flash Pass = $500

V

Disney 2 day (1 day looks to be about the same price!) Park Hopper = $420

So not massively different in price, but (if you can't do both... like us!) would need to weigh up a top quality coaster experience with virtually no queues, against everything that Disney has to offer. For us - with teenage kids - Six Flags will probably win the vote.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 12, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
RedFox
Excited about Disney

Six Flags is beginning to sound like a bit of a rip off. We were originally really looking forward to including it into our itinerary, but we're having serious second thoughts now. Another slight spanner in the works is that DS no.2 says he doesn't want to go on the "big" rides now.

So current thinking is that we aren't going to do it. I must admit that after doing a lot of reading online about the place, it doesn't appeal as much as it did after watching the YouTube videos of the rides. The rides look pretty spectacular, but the whole experience doesn't sound anywhere near as good as Disney/Universal. We've got 4 days in LA, so instead of doing Six Flags one of those days, we should easily be able to find something else to do. We were going to drive there, so maybe that day we could take a drive up the coast road instead and have a nice meal and some ice creams by the sea. Don't think that would cost $500 either!

On a trip like this I suppose I shouldn't be worrying about the cost too much, but I can't stand being ripped off, but don't want to spend a precious day of our holiday queueing
October '02 - Hampton Lakes Villa October '04 - Quality Inn I-Drive October '06 - Virgin Villa @ Hampton lakes October '08 - Virgin Villa @ Davenport Lake August '14 - Dibb Villa @ Highlands Reserve May '19 - Disney Beach Club - no kids! September '22 - High Grove Villas
RedFox is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 12, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
Six Flags is beginning to sound like a bit of a rip off. We were originally really looking forward to including it into our itinerary, but we're having serious second thoughts now. Another slight spanner in the works is that DS no.2 says he doesn't want to go on the "big" rides now.

So current thinking is that we aren't going to do it. I must admit that after doing a lot of reading online about the place, it doesn't appeal as much as it did after watching the YouTube videos of the rides. The rides look pretty spectacular, but the whole experience doesn't sound anywhere near as good as Disney/Universal. We've got 4 days in LA, so instead of doing Six Flags one of those days, we should easily be able to find something else to do. We were going to drive there, so maybe that day we could take a drive up the coast road instead and have a nice meal and some ice creams by the sea. Don't think that would cost $500 either!

On a trip like this I suppose I shouldn't be worrying about the cost too much, but I can't stand being ripped off, but don't want to spend a precious day of our holiday queueing
OMG I'm fast coming to the same conclusion and had a conversation with my DD on the same lines just before looking on here...

Looks to me like Six Flags charge a very low entry and overfill the place - hence 4 hour queues - and then rip off the tourists by charging a phenomenal fee for the Flash Pass. And, for the non-rider, it really does look like a dreary location... I also take on board several comments about how regularly the rides break down.

Seriously considering a 2 day pass at Disney now, which is something that was so not on our itinerary only a few days ago!
Old 28 Feb 12, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mickiengland View Post
PS To put the Six Flags prices into perspective for a family of 4:

Six Flags entry including Platinum Flash Pass = $500

V

Disney 2 day (1 day looks to be about the same price!) Park Hopper = $420

So not massively different in price, but (if you can't do both... like us!) would need to weigh up a top quality coaster experience with virtually no queues, against everything that Disney has to offer. For us - with teenage kids - Six Flags will probably win the vote.
I know you shouldn't really "quote" your own posts, but I just wanted to point out that I was wrong...

Revised figures:

Six Flags entry including Platinum Flash Pass = £320

V

Disney 1 day Park Hopper = £270

V

Disney 2 day Park Hopper = £430

This actually makes the 1 day Park Hopper very attractive from our perspective as there is so much else to see in the area and so little time...
Old 25 Mar 12, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Just been looking on Six Flags Magic Mountain, and the Platinum Flash Pass seems to be showing as "Sold Out" on every day... through to September!

Any idea why this would be? They obviously aren't really sold out (they wish!)... so I wondered whether it was some sort of system glitch or whether they are just trying to push the Gold/Regular Flash Passes?
Old 27 Mar 12, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Just been looking on Six Flags Magic Mountain, and the Platinum Flash Pass seems to be showing as "Sold Out" on every day... through to September!

Any idea why this would be? They obviously aren't really sold out (they wish!)... so I wondered whether it was some sort of system glitch or whether they are just trying to push the Gold/Regular Flash Passes?
Response from Six Flags:
There are only a percentage of Platinum Passes sold on line. The balance is reserved for the guest at the park. We are not sold out of the passes. Another option is to purchase the Gold pass and when you arrive to the park just let the Flash Pass Center you would like to upgrade to the Platinum Pass.
Old 27 Mar 12, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jontybfc
VIP Dibber

jontybfc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I just got a gold pass, I can't really work out the difference between the platinum and gold. Is it that you can ride more than once with a platinum?
jontybfc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 12, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jontybfc View Post
I just got a gold pass, I can't really work out the difference between the platinum and gold. Is it that you can ride more than once with a platinum?
That is definitely one of the differences, but the blurb does suggest that Platinum also takes you further up the queue:
Gold - You enjoy a significant reduction in wait time...
Platinum - You enjoy riding our rides with the least amount of waiting!

It looked like the Platinum also allows you to reserve a seat on Green Lantern which, presumably, you can't do with Gold... ?

What I don't know is whether the Gold is single use only, like the Universal Fast Pass?

Think I'll drop them a line again and post the response on here.
Old 27 Mar 12, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jontybfc
VIP Dibber

jontybfc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That is definitely one of the differences, but the blurb does suggest that Platinum also takes you further up the queue:
Gold - You enjoy a significant reduction in wait time...
Platinum - You enjoy riding our rides with the least amount of waiting!

It looked like the Platinum also allows you to reserve a seat on Green Lantern which, presumably, you can't do with Gold... ?

What I don't know is whether the Gold is single use only, like the Universal Fast Pass?

Think I'll drop them a line again and post the response on here.
The website explanation doesn't really explain anything at all does it!
jontybfc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 12, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

We went in August and panicked when we arrived as there seemed to be a ridiculously long line for the first ride we came to, X2. We went back and bought 5 flash passes only to find out the reason the line looked so long was that they hadn't opened the ride yet and every single ride was a walk on!

It isn't a "nice" park if you aren't into thrill rides and to be honest after 8 or 9 in a row I got a bit bored and opted out of a couple, there is nothing to kind of level out the adrenaline in-between if you see what I mean. I was glad we did it, but wouldn't go back and definitely wouldn't buy flash passes until I had seen how busy the park was on the day I was there.
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread