Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 15, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ElliotReevey
Helping Mickey

Talking Engagement Ring

Hey,

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend at Discovery Cove in August this year! She has no idea so will be a surprise.

I was hoping to buy a ring together in Florida to ensure she likes it! Has anyone done this before and can offer any advice?

Where would you suggest to get a ring from? Do they have sizes available in store? We have 5 days from when I propose to when I leave to get a ring otherwise I will have to do this in the UK.

Any info or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
ElliotReevey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 15, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafun
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by ElliotReevey View Post
Hey,

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend at Discovery Cove in August this year! She has no idea so will be a surprise.

I was hoping to buy a ring together in Florida to ensure she likes it! Has anyone done this before and can offer any advice?

Where would you suggest to get a ring from? Do they have sizes available in store? We have 5 days from when I propose to when I leave to get a ring otherwise I will have to do this in the UK.

Any info or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Are you going to do the package where the dolphin brings the bouy with message, how romantic.
Old 8 Jan 15, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ElliotReevey
Helping Mickey

Yes! I can't wait...and it will be a total surprise
ElliotReevey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 15, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Littlelegs19
Excited about Disney

Me and my fiancé got engaged in the UK but he bought my ring on a family holiday to Florida. He knew my ring size but wasn't able to get the ring in the correct size and he was on holiday for 2 weeks. Either the ring he liked wasn't in that size or the time frame to resize was too long. He ended up buying it anyway as he said he knew it was 'the one' and I had it resized in the UK but it wasn't an easy task! Most places wouldn't touch it and I had to find a small independent jewellers that would do it. 10 years later and the claws needing redoing and this time round I had no problem getting them done.

I emailed a few american jewellers back in November, as we are getting married in May and was deciding on buying rings here or there and only one company could guarantee they would be able to resize the rings in our time frame.
Saying all the above I have read many trip reports where people have had their rings resized while on holiday in a short space of time so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Whatever you decide to do, she will love it. X
Old 1 Feb 15, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
stu1873
Getting Excited

I got engaged in orlando a couple of years ago and my wife to be picked her own ring in the states. once she chose the ring, getting it resized was no problem, took a day or two max. Most jewellers out there have someone on the premises for resizing so I don't think you will have a problem.
stu1873 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 15, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post

I think it will depend on the ring you choose and your gf finger size.
I'm no expert but when I was looking at rings this is what I learnt. If you choose a design like a solitaire then it's quite easy to resize because there is little impact on the setting. If you choose a setting with elements that extend down the sides or is wide across then it can only be resized by say 1 size as the setting will be affected.
I've got quite small fingers and when we looked in the US for a wedding ring it was impossible. But that was mainly because we wanted platinum.
What you are doing is incredibly romantic and she is going to love it. You are also both going to love just looking for rings. If you find one fabulous and if they can't do it while you are there they can always ship it for you
My friend had her engagement ring shipped from the US having picked it from the web!

Enjoy your day
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 15, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel-jools
Apprentice Imagineer

I've heard great things about Jareds jewellers and we are heading there to look for wedding rings in August because they offer jewellery design services incase we can't find what we want in store. When I emailed them a few weeks ago to query how long resizing takes, they said a couple of days, so it may be a good option. Their website is pretty good too, so you can get a rough idea of prices.
Sounds like a very romantic proposal - make sure you tell us about it when it's done!
Orlando August 2015 * Florida & East Coast road trip Aug 2014 * Engaged at Disneyland Paris NYE 2013 * Orlando & Miami Aug 2013 * Disneyland Paris Aug 2012 * Disneyland California Dec 2008 * Orlando May 2003 * Orlando May 1995
ariel-jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 15, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post

My wife got a monster ring in ultra diamonds and it was resized within 2 days . got back to UK and it was valued at £800 more than what we got it for 😀😀😀😀😀
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 15, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ElliotReevey
Helping Mickey

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I will definitely look at the stores mentioned.

Thanks!
Old 18 Feb 15, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread