Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 15, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Nursing Degree

My daughter is thinking of attending university in the UK to do a nursing degree because the entry requirements are so high for nursing here in Ireland.

I was just wondering do students get paid for during work placement at any stage during the 3 year degree.

Thank you
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 15, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi

My daughter is in her third year of a childrens nursing degree. They don't get paid for placements no. Some students manage to get care bank jobs but there are so many placements and when not on placement they seem to be in uni most of the time so chances to say yes to bank work is limited.

At the moment the Nhs covers the uni fees but that might change. Student loan is to be paid back. They do get a (means tested ) bursary.

Hope that helps a little
Jo
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 15, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Thank you, is the course very intense and is she able to hold down a part time job.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 15, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rockgems
Excited about Disney

Currently you get your fees paid and you get a means tested busary. You can also apply for a student loan. You can apply for bank shifts, most trusts will only take nursing students for bank from the 2nd year. The course is very intense especially when on placement. We also don't get normal holidays off as well, we get 7 weeks a year with some study time off but you can be called back into uni during study time.
I personally would have struggled without a husband who I works but some of my friends did have part time jobs doing bank but also had parental support.
Do ask if you have any other questions, I'm nearing the end of my three years now. One assignment, one exam and final placement to go 😁.
rockgems is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 15, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a mental health nursing degree. You get a means tested bursary and can apply for a maintenance loan on top of that. It is very intense, more so than most other degrees tbh, however lots of students on my course also have part-time jobs and do bank work in order to supplement the bursary. (I don't as I have three children so couldn't fit a job in lol!) If it's definitely the course she wants to do she should definitely go for it! Yes it's challenging but it's honestly the most rewarding and satisfying thing I've ever done, she won't regret it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 15, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Thank you for your replies. She has her leaving Cert exams (A levels) coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully she will get the grades required to do her degree in Ireland. It is actually a 4 year degree here. If not we will have to look at the UK as an alternative route. Life is stressful in our house at the moment, ds doing Junior Cert (gcse) also. So everything seems to revolve around Revision and mum walking on egg shells keeping everyone happy 😢😢

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Old 11 May 15, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Do I assume correctly from your Dibb user name that you live in the Republic of Ireland? If so, before your daughter gets her hopes up, she will need to do a lot of research because nursing (and other medical) degrees, due to being funded by the NHS, are not usually open to non-UK applicants.

Debra
Old 11 May 15, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
stephski25
slightly serious Dibber

stephski25's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi. I am currently doing an adult nursing degree ((first year)). I have four Irish girls in my cohort. Two are from the south and two from the north. The Northern girls get full NHS bursary but the Irish girls don't. They all get a means tested loan. NHS pays for the course but you have to attend practically all of the lectures and placement. The Irish girls also get a taxi to and from placement as one of them hospitals wanted the Irish girls. We don't get paid for placement but the bursary and loan help out a lot! You can hold a part time job as well, as long as it is flexible. Sometimes we do 8/9am-5pm if in a GP or outpatients but other times ((which I start next week)) if on a ward will do 7am-7.30Pm or 7pm-7.30am. The good thing about the course is you only need to do 8 night shift over the three years ((dont know if that's only my course or not!)). Lastly, if she attends a London university you get extra money but it is more expensive to live there!
stephski25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 15, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by stephski25 View Post
Hi. I am currently doing an adult nursing degree ((first year)). I have four Irish girls in my cohort. Two are from the south and two from the north. The Northern girls get full NHS bursary but the Irish girls don't. They all get a means tested loan. NHS pays for the course but you have to attend practically all of the lectures and placement. The Irish girls also get a taxi to and from placement as one of them hospitals wanted the Irish girls. We don't get paid for placement but the bursary and loan help out a lot! You can hold a part time job as well, as long as it is flexible. Sometimes we do 8/9am-5pm if in a GP or outpatients but other times ((which I start next week)) if on a ward will do 7am-7.30Pm or 7pm-7.30am. The good thing about the course is you only need to do 8 night shift over the three years ((dont know if that's only my course or not!)). Lastly, if she attends a London university you get extra money but it is more expensive to live there!
Thank you
Old 11 May 15, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Cariadbach
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

I did Nursing and whilst it is very intense,i also held down 2part time jobs to be able to fund myself,luckily they were quite open to be flexible if my shifts were at weekends etc
Cariadbach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread