Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Aug 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Jagmate
Getting Excited

US Passport

My 14 yo ds has dual UK/US citizenship due to being born whilst we lived in North Carolina. His US passport is due to expire in March next year and I know that the US allows you to renew when it is within 9 months of expiration date. We're off to Orlando on Sunday and I wondered if anyone knows whether we could get it renewed whilst we're out there and sent to our UK address to save the faff factor of having to travel to London from North Yorkshire like last time and jump through all of the hoops at the Embassy. I know when he got his first passport when he was a baby, we just went to the local courthouse in the town where we lived, taking his birth certificate, social security card and our photo id (as well as the form etc). Just wondering if it is possible and potentially could be easier. Last time, my dh couldn't come to the Embassy appt so we ended up having to fill in a different form that he had to get notarised giving permission and because of appt times (they're only in the mornings Mon-Fri), we had to book overnight accommodation so it all got quite expensive on top of the cost of the actual passport. Thanks in advance!
Jagmate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jagmate
Getting Excited

Ah, my dd has just pointed out the fly in the ointment here. We'd need to hand over his current passport and he needs that to depart the US, even though he enters the UK on his Brit one. Looks like it will be the Embassy faff for us!
Jagmate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Could he not enter and exit on his UK passport? Obviously need an ESTA but at $14 still cheaper than an overnight trip to London from Yorkshire xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Jagmate
Getting Excited

No, legally he needs to enter and exit the US on his US passport. They'd know because his place of birth is listed as Goldsboro, NC on his UK passport. We'll just plan a trip to the Big Smoke during half term or the xmas hols. Thanks though
Old 8 Aug 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh okay. Didn't realise. Good luck. Enjoy your holiday xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Could he not enter and exit on his UK passport? Obviously need an ESTA but at $14 still cheaper than an overnight trip to London from Yorkshire xx
Don't think its possible as I believe the US requires dual passport holders to enter the US on thier US passport.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List