Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Apr 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
We did Christmas 2008 and 2009 and for us it was rammed - much busier than any Summer we have experienced after.
Our experience was amazing, But looking back at crowd stats and the records of those Christmas park levels - they were at record low levels especially in comparison to those of the past few years.

Have friends who went for Christmas last year as they did not like the heat of the summer - they are now going this summer, to do the stuff they didn't manage to get done, the I4 was a car park and queues beyond belief.

Having said all that - we would love to go again for Christmas but lack of Osbourne Lights would be a huge miss.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Once was enough - although we are going this Xmas but to Key West/Naples/Anna Maria Island.

We flew out on Xmas day. Orlando was mad crazy busy - we spent over 21/2hrs trying to do a 20 minute drive, couldn't even get into the outlets, only warm enough for shorts between 11 and 3.
Last day was coats, hats, gloves the works.

Universal was much quieter.

We went to Epcot on New Years Eve. We had the Cape May buffet (I got rather squiffy so wasnt allowed to drink any more that night ) and we wandered over to the park.

I had booked one night on DVC points at Saratoga Springs for NYE.

We had an absolute blast - it was such a party atmosphere - bands and DJs etc and we didn't find the atmosphere bad in any way.

In fact DH who likes to keep hold of his pennies enjoyed himself so much he bought both of us flashing ears

Would I go again at Xmas - well we are but further south - would I do Orlando again at Xmas - it was amazing but probably not!

Edited at 09:13 PM.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Badabing
Excited about Disney

Been 5 times at Christmas& New Year. Parks are extremely busy but still enjoyable. Just don't expect to go on many rides. It tends to get a bit quieter after the 4th or 5th of January.
Old 4 Apr 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Are you able to go just before Christmas? We did the first 3wks of December and it was amazing. We had gorgeous weather, very low crowds and got to experience all the magic of Christmas 🎄
We are going for 10 nights from 10/12/19 for this very reason, we’ve been just after Christmas, but we wanted to get a bit more Christmas feel this time. We are offsite and planning only a few Park days.
Enchanted, did you do a tripreport?

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

Been twice over Christmas and twice in early December but home for Christmas Day. I LOVE Disney at that time of year (actually I love Orlando at that time of year) but would never do MK on Christmas Day - it is manic! We did it in 1998, long before the crowds you get today, and you couldn’t move! The second Christmas Day was in 2004 and we went to Epcot - it was empty as it rained all day and the only people in the park were us Brits! However, don’t let this put you off! It is the most magical place on Earth all year round but especially so from end of November to New Year!
Old 5 Apr 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Were doing early December this year to see the Christmas decorations/ party & atmosphere.

I’ve never been tempted with going over Christmas itself, just couldn’t be doing with the crowds.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

We did Xmas 2017 and we’re going back this Xmas as well.

The absolute most important thing to remember when going at that time of the year is planning, planning, planning. I can not stress enough the need for ADRs to be made on the dot of 180+10 days and FP+ to be made at 60 days out.

It is very, very, very busy but with good advance planning and managing your expectations it’s very doable and an amazing time to go.

As you’re planning on staying onsite then the horrendous traffic that pp have spoken about won’t effect you but you will have to make use of early mornings to avoid the queues getting into the parks.

We got up early and got to the parks early (an hour before park opening to get on FOP without fp+). We then we left around lunchtime and went back to the hotel to chill by the pool. Then we’d head back into the parks in the evenings.

On Xmas day itself we avoided any park and had a character breakfast at Cape May, then played crazy golf at Fantasia Gardens (this is included with all U.K. Ultimate tickets), then sat round the hotel pool and did our secret Santa gifts (there were 18 of us so it was lots of fun) we had dinner at California Grill so we could watch the MK fireworks. It was a very chilled day but still a Disney day without all the manic stress going on in MK.

Overall I’d say the parks were the busiest I’d ever seen them and that includes 4th July, but with careful planning it’s a brilliant time to go.

Edited at 08:39 AM.
Mymemories is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Are you able to go just before Christmas? We did the first 3wks of December and it was amazing. We had gorgeous weather, very low crowds and got to experience all the magic of Christmas 🎄
Funny how it’s different for so many people isn’t it? We did the first two weeks of December last year and we’ve said never again.

The crowds were horrendous, the weather was awful - I came home with a chest infection because of it. The temps ranged from 9-32 and they didn’t steadily increase/decrease it was really sudden. All 4 of us got ill at different stages.

September for us hands down every time. It was lovely to see everything all dressed up, we would perhaps consider going back if we end up having children desperate to see if at Christmas. But other than that, we’ve got no inclination to even attempt December again. Let alone closer to Christmas 😂. We also thought the Halloween party was much better than the Christmas one.

But got for it! Less people there in sept if everyone losses their minds and goes at Christmas! 😂
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the replies!

I'm thinking perhaps Christmas may not be such a good idea. We went this January and the weather was freezing and wet, that alone makes me not what to go at Christmas if there's a chance the weather could be like that again. It really was miserable
Old 5 Apr 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are going this Christmas and I am super excited but we may try and go somewhere hotter either before or after just so we have a bit of sun as well