Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Jul 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
crowie
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by taleasoldastime View Post
It’s ok for you, you only have a deposit to lose...we have 7 adult flights paid for... virgin need to extend their cancellation period as there’s no time till October 2022 we can go as a group... 🙁🙁

It’s actually not ok for me. It is my wife’s 50th the day before we were due to go. I had arranged a secret MK visit for her as we have friend who lives in Celebration, one of whom is a cast member at Disney and was arranging to take her on an access all areas visit. It was also likely to be our last family holiday, my eldest son is 19 today and will probably not want to holiday with holiday as he gets older. I was also getting extra holidays of work this year to cover 3 weeks in Florida. A lot of disappointments and some possibly won’t be repeated opportunities missed. But we just feel we wouldn’t get the holiday experience this year that we have have had in the past.

I hope you get your holiday sorted as best you can though, hopefully something can be done so you all get away together 🤞.
crowie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
crowie
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Twinmumlowe View Post
I think it’s really easy to assume the worst but the fact is no-one knows what’s going to happen 🤷🏻 I’m still hoping for a shred of light that we might be able to go still - it’s not yet totally out of the question. As I’ve said many times to others, in terms of COVID things change really quickly and things will change in 3 months - what that looks like I don’t know so the only thing we can do is wait and see

I hope it happens if you really want it to happen. Unfortunately we do know what happens as we have examples of countries who have come out the other side and their length of recovery. And, also unfortunately, things done change really quickly in terms of recovery, it’s a slow slow process. Good luck for your holiday thought 🤞
crowie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsNobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I've given up hoping and am ringing BA tomorrow to change from Orlando to Barbados.
After adding all the costs of Disney, Universal, accommodation etc as a family of 5 we will be £1000 approx better off and still get a holiday this year.
Good Luck to everyone holding out but
"Whoa I'm Going to Barbados"🎼🎵🎶🎵🇧🇧
MrsNobby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
kaip
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
and I think we're starting to see the cases plateau maybe? If so then it's downhill from there.
Reading the local online news and that above quote is totally wrong
Old 13 Jul 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsNobby View Post
I've given up hoping and am ringing BA tomorrow to change from Orlando to Barbados.
After adding all the costs of Disney, Universal, accommodation etc as a family of 5 we will be £1000 approx better off and still get a holiday this year.
It’s nice to see someone that is cancelling but still going away. Not the usual “I’ve cancelled and I’m not going until 2022 when we don’t have to wear masks”. Not that it’s a problem, it’s just that some of us (ok, me) don’t want to wait that long!

Enjoy your trip to Barbados!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

yeap, and at this rate its going to get worst in Florida over the next 3 months. Even if it does start to get better and they peak soon, it will be more than 3 months to get over it, and I have stayed optimistic though all this.

We have decided now that October is a definite no and to plan something smaller instead and to go back in 2021.

I have watch the opening days bloggers videos and the place is just not 'Disney' its just a partly open theme park.

I think the icing on the cake was having to wear a face mask in the hair dressers which was my first time wearing one. After only 20 mins in only the heat of the hairdressers with hair dryers going I struggled to cope wearing a mask. It would ruin a holiday having to wear a mask in the Florida heat.
If no one understands, go wear a face mask and blast a hair dryer at your self to simulate the Florida weather.

Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
Still three months to go. So much can change in three months.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsNobby View Post
I’ve just moved Oct to April 😢 really want to get away though and was considering Barbados but we’ve never been. Would love to know where you’ve booked?
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

The covid numbers in Florida are obviously bad. The number of confirmed cases are indeed rising, but you need to be careful how you interpret the data.

For want of a better term, a better way to look at it is the death rate. This has remained flat, it hasn’t shot up along with the confirmed cases. Obviously we want to see the daily death numbers dropping, not staying flat.
To put it into perspective the UK has a population of 66million and had 44,000 deaths.
Florida’s population is about a third of ours so if they were hit as bad as us you would expect about 14,000 deaths.
Thankfully their death rate is significantly less at around 4,000.

So the UK has been hit a lot worse than Florida.
The next month will tell the tail. If the death rate doesn’t start to climb even with lockdown lifted then there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

The problem is how death rate is reported. Doesnt the US report differently, like Germany have all along. The true death figures are being hidden by many countries.

Originally Posted by alvin_purple View Post
a better way to look at it is the death rate. This has remained flat, it hasn’t shot up along with the confirmed cases.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alvin_purple View Post
The covid numbers in Florida are obviously bad. The number of confirmed cases are indeed rising, but you need to be careful how you interpret the data.

For want of a better term, a better way to look at it is the death rate. This has remained flat, it hasn’t shot up along with the confirmed cases. Obviously we want to see the daily death numbers dropping, not staying flat.
To put it into perspective the UK has a population of 66million and had 44,000 deaths.
Florida’s population is about a third of ours so if they were hit as bad as us you would expect about 14,000 deaths.
Thankfully their death rate is significantly less at around 4,000.

So the UK has been hit a lot worse than Florida.
The next month will tell the tail. If the death rate doesn’t start to climb even with lockdown lifted then there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
Sorry, I'm really struggling with your logic here.

As you sort of say, Death rates would obviously be someway behind the infection rates, so given big climbs are just happening, yes of course these are not high yet.

The USA health care system is no better than ours, indeed many say generally worst and is certainly less accessible, especially to ethnic minority groups which have been shown to be hardest hit. There have been a few innovations in medicine recently to reduce symptom and deaths along with it, that both the UK and the USA are now taking advantage of - if the UK was still climbing we would also now see a reduced percentage death rate to what we did in the original climb. Both places have also learnt lessons around protecting care homes etc.. Neither location ran out of ICU capacity, and I doubt Florida will either, so that's also the same. But there is no significant change in treatments or cures though, there are plenty of people vulnerable and exposed, so not sure why the confidence that increasing infection rate of COVID would not equally substantially more deaths, not least as Florida is described by many as USA retirement state. The chances are that it most certainly will sadly.

The situation in Florida is very very bad. Its borderline out of control, due to the lack of lock down, political situation and cultural views around the freedoms, the UK never really had that (we may in a second wave situation), and has the potential to be far worst than anything the UK ever experienced.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List