Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mardi Gras Madness Trip – Highs and Lows and Future Plans

Mardi Gras Madness Trip – Highs and Lows and Future Plans

Index is here

We had the most amazing time, our shortest trip but the enjoyment wasn't any less.

Highs

Mardi Gras Parade – the absolute highlight of the holiday and such an amazing experience. We’ve been to Orlando a lot so this was something completely new and the atmosphere of being on a float was just awesome as were the team members looking after you.

Aventura: We paid £87 a night for this hotel on this trip. Ds and I stayed here before at the Easter trip but it was new to DH. If you are going at a time where it is quiet enough that Express Pass isn’t important to you, I’d absolutely recommend this hotel. The rooms are nice, modern and very clean and for a teen or tween the in room ipad is a great novelty. It is also really compact, all the rooms are off one set of lifts. The food court has great selections, everything is cooked fresh and was delicious, Starbucks is a nice bonus as well for cheaper snack options and drinks. The rooftop bar has fantastic views. Another big plus for us is the location across the road from Sapphire falls which has great food and drinks options as well as the boat.

Basketball – again another first for us. So much fun, even if you are not a big sports fan, it is still really entertaining.

Weather – the weather was glorious, which I know is not guaranteed at this time of year. Like our Christmas trip I had packed for all seasons but wore shorts and t-shirts for the whole trip. There was even a high of 30.

Food – Some new places for us at Universal such as the Palm and Strong Water Tavern and some old favourites like Cowfish and Breadbox. No bad meals, just one where I felt I chose the wrong thing.

Annual Passes – This meant we didn’t need to pay for tickets, great rate for our one night at RPR, food discounts and our first ride on the Mardi Gras Floats.

Short trip – We’d never been convinced that a week would be long enough but it worked out perfectly and opens up the door to finally being able to consider a Halloween Horror Trip.

51st and Green – maybe not amazing but a really nice leisurely start to our holiday, we had a long wait in Dublin so this was worth it for us.

Lows:
For the first time ever I’m really struggling to come up any.

At a push – the wait between flights in Dublin on the way home wasn't great but we knew that would be a pain and I wouldn't rave about Aer Lingus but then again I also don't have any complaints.

Future Plans (what future plans)

June 2020 - CANCELLED:

We should have been there now. We had booked 2 nights at Pop Century but no Disney tickets. We’d toyed between Villains After Hours and dinner and fireworks viewing at the Cali Grill, at the time of cancelling we had booked the Cali Grill.
We had 7 nights club level booked at RPR at Universal with our annual passes still in date.
And we had 11 nights booked at the Rosen Pointe Orlando with Discovery Cove Ultimate tickets and we had planned to spend that time at Seaworld, DC and Busch Gardens with a fair bit of eating, relaxing and shopping added in.
We were lucky and have been refunded for everything other that the Discovery Cove Ultimate Tickets with Orlando Attraction Tickets which we are still waiting for. Universal have frozen our passes so we have them still to use when we get back.

Provisional Plans (in my head plans):

Maybe end of June 2021 – A bit of a copy of the above, but maybe a couple of nights at Sapphire Falls or Aventura to start, 7 nights at a Universal Express Pass hotel at the start and the Rosen Plaza if possible for 10 nights ish, we are debating any Disney at all, if there was any after hours events we might be interested in adding that. Hoping to keep an eye on flights being released from BA and if the price is right maybe book the flight and some of the hotels together as a package with deposit only, need to see what the story is with our travel insurance as well, lots to consider, we will see!

Maybe October 2021 – I really, really want to do Halloween Horror nights. Now that we have experienced a week long trip and loved it I’m more inclined to consider it as school is only closed for a week in October. Our passes would cover this as well. Ds should be at an age where he could cope with it, probably better than me lol. Mainly Universal with maybe a Mickey’s Not so Scary thrown in for good measure. It feels like a long time away though although I'm very excited about this even if next year doesn't work out I'd really like to do this when we can.

Thanks to everyone who has read along and for all the nice comments. Sorry it took so long, I had sort of lost my enthusiasm for finishing this for a bit and was clinging on, as I knew that once it was done that there are no other reports for me to start (yet).

In the meantime if anyone has done any Halloween Horror trips I’d love to hear all about them.
Old 18 Jul 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Lovely to read your highs and no lows. Future planning is difficult at the moment isn't it? I do like the sound of your Halloween Horror trip, but agree it is a looonnng time to wait until October 2021.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Holiday time
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a fab trip. Need to keep Dublin in mind for connecting flights
Holiday time is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Lovely to read your highs and no lows. Future planning is difficult at the moment isn't it? I do like the sound of your Halloween Horror trip, but agree it is a looonnng time to wait until October 2021.
It feels like forever away but I suppose more time to save and something to try to look forward too. Even our Frozen the musical for Feb 2021 has been postponed.
Old 21 Jul 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Holiday time View Post
Thanks for posting. Sounds like a fab trip. Need to keep Dublin in mind for connecting flights
Thanks for reading. We normally do via Gatwick with BA but the Aer Lingus Dublin option was a better price. I’d do that route again.