Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Kibibi
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

How many days at Tokyo Disney Resort and Universal Studios Japan?

We’re hoping to visit Japan in 2022 or 2023 and of course we’d like to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea as part of our time in/near Tokyo and Universal Studios Japan as part of our time in/near Osaka. How many days would we need for each of them to do them justice?
Kibibi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I went in August 2018 and we had 2 days for Disney. You could probably spend more, but our priorities were Journey to the Centre of the Earth, to eat different flavoured popcorn, see the nightly show (I honestly can't remember what that was) and a few other things. We stayed across the road in the Hilton and for us that was more than enough time. This year we were going to spend 3 nights maximum at the Park Front hotel in USJ as our main reason to go was the new Nintendo world. Hopefully we will get there next year.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

We spent 4 days, 2 in each park. This was good for us as we wanted to do everything and didnt want to kick the backside out of each day. I think 3 would be good (2 in disneysea).
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kk20 View Post
We spent 4 days, 2 in each park. This was good for us as we wanted to do everything and didnt want to kick the backside out of each day. I think 3 would be good (2 in disneysea).
You’ve reminded me, we only intended to do Disneysea so we didn’t need more time
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

We did a day at each Disney park and while we did not do everything, that was not out aim. Next May we are doing a day each again, but will be there from park opening to close. Not done Universal but thinking a day as a minimum
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

We did two days at Disney (one at each park) but on the day we got there, we got an extra few hours in Tokyo Disney resort on one of their “after 6” tickets.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

We did 4 days in total, 2 in each park, to give us time to explore everything without having to rush. Tokyo Disneysea is our favourite park EVER. It's amazing!
Old 17 Sep 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is good to know as disney sea looks amazing .
We really wanted to go to Japan next year but can only go in summer hols which will be a no no because of the olympics 😭
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
We did 4 days in total, 2 in each park, to give us time to explore everything without having to rush. Tokyo Disneysea is our favourite park EVER. It's amazing!
Agree - Sea blew me away and is my fav park.

Both parks blew Florida ones out of water, some of that are Japanese people themselves as so king and helpful.

The only thing worse at Tokyo is the fireworks - poor do compared to Florida.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I went a few years ago. If I don't remember wrongly, we spent 4 days in both parks. The TDR tickets are a bit interesting with regard to park hopping in that on days 1 and 2 you could only go to either Disneyland or Disneysea each day, and can only park hop from day 3 onwards - not sure if this is still the case.

I thought 4 days was a pretty decent length, but I do like to take my time when going to Disney parks and like being able to do favourites again!

If the Main Street Electrical Parade is still ongoing - definitely watch it! It completely blows the (no longer extant) WDW version out of the water. It wasn't high on my list of priorities as I thought it would be like the WDW version (which I would only watch if I happened to come across it), then we came across it by chance, and it was so good we came back and watched it again another night.

Theming as others have mentioned is absolutely amazing. Rides are also extremely good, absolutely loved the version of the Winnie the Pooh ride they have there.

Main downsides are that the queues seemed generally longer than I've experienced in the other Disney parks and the FP systems are the old system (so have to run all over the park, as opposed to Maxpass in California and FP+ in WDW). And character queues are insane! We also never quite managed to figure out TS meals (there's some queue system to reserve a place?) so stuck to QS, but the QS we did try was excellent.

One more thing is that almost everything is in Japanese, including the pre-show elements (e.g. for the Tower of Terror equivalent). So a lot of the context is lost if you don't know what the storyline is! Worth looking up the storyline in advance for some of the rides.