Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Sep 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
Not really relevant here, but we've been flight-only several times, only for 2 weeks though. As a rule, are 2 week and 3 weeks flights normally the same-ish price or do you pay a premium for the extra time there?
It is purely down to the availability on the dates that you chose so the answer could be less/the same/more. As it is a scheduled flight it is possible to book any length of return ticket but generally the lowest fares have a Saturday night stay requirement.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
but generally the lowest fares have a Saturday night stay requirement.
So any stay of more than 1 week then?
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Been tracking prices for awhile for late July early August, BA LGW to Tampa and MCO. Release day has pretty much always been the cheapest. For my dates that I’ve been tracking Tampa has been far far cheaper then MCO however the prices shoot up around 10 days after release. For example 2 adults and 2 kids with W category car for 3 weeks July 27th on release day to Tampa was £3336. Booking a few days ago it was is £4577. Today is down again it’s £3896 so prices may well go down.

Edited at 09:03 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whilst looking and booking BA flights yesterday to the West Coast for 19 Aug - 02 Sept, I noticed similar oddities on the releases. It is worth remembering that a BA multi centre is achieved by simply adding an out leg to a home leg.

Whilst I did into SFO direct at £250 (that flight only), LAX was nearly twice that. Normally LAX comes in cheaper.
My flights home from Las Vegas direct we’re at £165. The variations day by day are very large. I actually wanted to leave from Phoenix, but that, (normally similar and about the same as Las Vegas when I booked for this August) was coming in at over £700!

BA flights are all over the place as they are releasing.
In the end I paid £2112 for four of us to include hold baggage and free seat selection at 24hrs before flight. I think that this is about right.

The London to SFO leg released for 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all over £1220 one way economy and without hold baggage!.. then you have to add a return leg on top of that.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:16 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The London to SFO leg released for 2nd, 3rd and 4th are all over £1220 one way economy and without hold baggage!.. then you have to add a return leg on top of that.
One ways are always like that as they’re the fully flexible, expensive fare codes.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
So any stay of more than 1 week then?
Technically you could travel out on a Friday or a Saturday and come back on a Sunday and still qualify for the lower restricted fare buackets as you still have a Saturday stay. In reality for a holiday in Florida though that isn't a "normal " scenario but I have done Friday - Sunday to both East and West Coasts prior to CV numerous times.

Softy - is correct looking at one way for example LHR to SFO will only produce a fully flexible fare in any travel class (try quoting in First for a laugh). However, when you do multi city as cornishfrog boy suggests and for instance pop in LHR-SFO in the first box and LAX-LHR in the second and it includes a Saturday night stay then lower restricted fares will be offered

One word of caution when using multi centre if there is more than one flight to your destination per day always do a dummy "simple" return booking(s) for both places using a date you are travelling on to check if one flight is busier than the other and bear that in mind when going back to multi centre to pick your flights. Hope that makes sense.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
One ways are always like that as they’re the fully flexible, expensive fare codes.
Nope. That £1200 plus is the price as part of a return journey on a multi city ticket. On the BA site, you put in your requirement, I.e LHR-SFO and LAS-LHR with dates and the first flight comes up in the middle of a horizontal bar of 7 dates with the prices of each. You select your flights and it then goes on to the return leg.

That £1200 plus is for one leg of two to be purchased. The total price is the two added together.

My flights for instance were £270 bottom rate for the LHR-SFO and £168 for LAS-LHR. That comes to £438. I then upgraded each of the legs to have hold baggage at a cost of £95 (wife’s decision not mine as I prefer hand baggage only).. and x4 = £2112 grand total. I achieved what was probably best rate on both legs.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:24 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
deek72
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Technically you could travel out on a Friday or a Saturday and come back on a Sunday and still qualify for the lower restricted fare buackets as you still have a Saturday stay. In reality for a holiday in Florida though that isn't a "normal " scenario but I have done Friday - Sunday to both East and West Coasts prior to CV numerous times.

Softy - is correct looking at one way for example LHR to SFO will only produce a fully flexible fare in any travel class (try quoting in First for a laugh). However, when you do multi city as cornishfrog boy suggests and for instance pop in LHR-SFO in the first box and LAX-LHR in the second and it includes a Saturday night stay then lower restricted fares will be offered

One word of caution when using multi centre if there is more than one flight to your destination per day always do a dummy "simple" return booking(s) for both places using a date you are travelling on to check if one flight is busier than the other and bear that in mind when going back to multi centre to pick your flights. Hope that makes sense.
We can fly any date from Aug 21 onwards. We have a fixed villa booking from 28 Aug for 2 weeks but intend to extend it to 3 weeks to make up for the disappointment of missing out this year. It doesn't have to be exactly 7 days from Saturday 21st though, as we are probably staying in a hotel for 1st week so are flexible. We could fly out Saturday, Sunday or Monday, we just wanted to extend the holiday a little.
deek72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

For Tampa for my mid-August dates when they came out a week ago it was expensive (ridiculously so), but it dropped again yesterday back to "normal" prices, so I would hold out.
Old 17 Sep 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
juliebissett72
Excited about Disney

We have booked Tampa flights last 2 trips with BA. I prefer that airport in general. For next summer though, for our dates anyway, I’ve been looking since release and MCO is consistently cheaper. After 8 weeks of checking we finally booked MCO. Quite annoying as we we’re staying in Anna Maria Island at start of the holiday so Tampa would have suited so much better but not prepared to pay through the nose for them.
juliebissett72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List