Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Oct 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Not it isn't sarcasm. That person is one of the forum's resident doom and gloomers, all his posts are like that.
I love you too! 😊

I refer to many of my views as being a realist, but I accept I’m a glass half empty kind of person. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best kind of outlook.

I take no offence though to your opinion. I’ve read many of your posts Donaldfan and you make some good informative contributions to many threads.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
We love Florida and have been lucky enough to go 5 years running up till this year.

This year we had those cheap Thomas Cook direct flights from Manchester for Aug 2020 - we've never flown direct before as the cost was always so prohibitive and the indirect prices saved so much it paid for most of the accommodation or tickets!

Obviously we all know what happened - they went and then the pandemic.

We've been looking for 2021 and just got those cheap directs from Man - Air France/Virgin code shares.

But, and here's the rub, are we all nuts?

Even in 2021, the holiday experience is unlikely to be the same or even close to what we've remembered and experienced before.

12 hours of mask wearing just for the travelling
Fighting with kids to keep it on
Masks in hotels, parks, most public places
The worry of contracting just before and during the holiday
Some things are still closed or have restricted hours
Possible flight cancellations
Waiting months for money back or travel voucher to rebook

Is this really worth it given the expense and expected enjoyment we all want from a Florida Holiday?

...or maybe I'm just ..Grumpy
I totally understand, we go at the end of may, and if by april flights are starting to get back to 'normal' but we still have to wear a mask, I think ill cancel myself. I guess the holiday will be what you make it, and some people probably wont be bothered by having to wear a mask. I wore one for a half hour flight down to london in september and its honestly not great. i certainly wont be sitting for 9hours with one on.
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

i read the other day that Florida is now in phase 3 and theme parks can now return to normal but i also read that for now Disney chooses not to!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
For those that are going in 2021, they just need to weigh up what it's costing them versus their personal enjoyment of it. Some won't be bothered by masks, some don't have kids so the wrestle you spoke of initially wouldn't be a factor. Some don't go especially for the parks (we're more about the food now!). It just depends what you want to get out of the holiday. If it all still ticks your boxes, even with masks, then I would say, get your planning hats on and go for it!
This is me: Not fussed by having to wear a mask, don't have kids, not a big fan of parades and fireworks and have been to WDW enough times to be happy with half days in the parks, some pool times and some nice meals.

SIL and her kids have decided to join us for what will be the kids first trip. They're only 5 and 7 and wear masks voluntary when out and about because they want to be the same as everyone else. As they've never been to WDW, they have nothing to compare to so won't know what they're missing out on with regard to meet and greets, night time shows etc . To be on the safe side we're not planning on telling them until we're at the airport.

We will be enjoying having something to look forward to and if we have to push back a few months into 2022 then so be it... No point in worrying about it until it happens
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
stinkyminky
Apprentice Imagineer

I've booked out holiday for next year. I'm sure this virus thing will be gone by then! I've also booked for 23 days as I need to make up for lost time.

08 regal palms 09 reunion 10 orange lakes
11 villa12 okw13 villa14 Villa '15 villa
16 westcoast'17 disney
stinkyminky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Allyfe
Trainee Dibber

We are booked for August, although flights are airmiles so we can cancel with minimum cost. My husband is the family doom and gloom and thinks we won't go. I think that we will (not least because I'm due to be going to the US for three months for work from April, so if that happens, all should be good for Disney ). One thing I a sure, I won't go to WDW if we have to wear masks in August. I can't bear wearing them in October (although clearly I do! ). I was told today by a CM that the water parks are due to be opening in March, and they won't be part of the park-hop limits. I love the fireworks, and I love the parade, but my favourite is the night time parade at DL. So, if we are mask free, I'll put up with other restrictions. Although if we are all mask free, then I can't help thinking that restrictions will be minimal (I'm hoping for the vaccine, approved by Dec 2020, to key workers and those shielding first, and to everyone by summer...here's hoping!).
Allyfe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
thealienwarrior
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We're booked for December next year, so over a year away yet. One of the reasons for choosing December was the heat, so if we do have to wear masks it won't be as intolerable as it would be in August.

I can't ever remember actually park hopping, so that not being available makes no difference to us. Don't know why you would want to waste an hour or so going between parks when you can just do the other park another day.

Whilst DH has only been once (me multiple times with parents) we accidentally came into Magic Kingdom exactly at parade time, got an awesome spot at the end of the route with no-one in front of us, and DH was like "Glad I saw it, but wouldn't have waited around for it". I hate fireworks, so whilst I understand a lot of people will miss them, I for one will be happy if they haven't restarted by then.

I've taken all these points in considering whether to go 21 or 22 and a good price sold me on sooner. 10 months ago was planning to go end of September next year, staying on-site with free DDP. Just adjusted things slightly to accommodate.

Staying in LBV so still close to the parks in a suite with kitchen to help mitigate food costs. Plus side of not staying on-site is only having to pay parking charges for the days we actually do WDW or US, so this will also have bought costs down.
Old 21 Oct 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Maybe we’re all nuts.🤷🏼 Maybe we’re all optimistic.🤷🏼 Maybe we will all be nuts if we have nothing to look forward to. 😅 I’ve booked for July/August and I’m really hoping I can go. Should have been this year and we waited four years prior to that. I’m ready for my Florida fix.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MJ6987
Very Serious Dibber

The lack of a question mark at the end of the thread title bothers me way more than it should

Edited at 08:58 PM.
MJ6987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
macgasbp
Apprentice Imagineer

As previous people have posted you do have a valid point however after everything we have gone thru and still going thru I think folk will just want to get away albeit the virus may still be present but at least under control
macgasbp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List