Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I've no idea what the OP child's aspirations are with their career once they are a teacher, but there are some specific (but unsuspected) downsides to not entering teaching from a degree entry-point if she wants mobility in the future.

Teaching is generally a desirable career for immigration purposes and many teachers in Australia are UK immigrants. The AUS system though doesn't recognise QTS status acheived unless a degree in teaching or PGCE is also present - so this would rule out moving countries in the future if she didn't have a degree

It's a specific, niche, case I respect that, but it's best to go in a direction knowing the pitfalls and compromises before you choose it rather than finding out after you've started on the path
Not quite sure why you quoted my post, not my child (both would be horrified at the thought of teaching ) but I totally agree that the teaching degree, or degree and PGCE route is the most sensible and portable ones.
Old 23 Oct 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Not quite sure why you quoted my post, not my child (both would be horrified at the thought of teaching ) but I totally agree that the teaching degree, or degree and PGCE route is the most sensible and portable ones.
I just quoted yours, no real reason...

Edited at 02:44 PM.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My area is further education but there are a variety of different options available now. I would echo the degree PGCE route for ‘portability’
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
I’m interested in any replies too as DS is considering primary teaching but doesn’t want to go to Uni. He’s Y13 at the moment and has spoken to his career’s advisor but was a bit vague about what was said, just that it’s too early to be doing anything yet. Problem with DS is that he’s just too laid back when it comes to things like this!
My daughter all along has been going to university. Someone came in to school to talk about apprenticeships this week and I think daughter focused on the getting paid while you train bit !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is in her second year of a Primary Education degree. It’s a three year course with Qualified Teacher Status at the end.

She absolutely loves it. Sadly her second school placement was cut short in March due to lockdown. She was gutted as she was in a fabulous school and was learning so much.

Obviously this year is very different, all lectures and most seminars are on line but she has been into uni twice for a few hours face to face teaching.

She has no regrets at all - any questions, I can certainly ask her.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My daughter is a also in year 11 and is considering a different route to Primary teaching. We did college open days last year and a careers fair and she has just applied to do a Btec in children's play, learning and development next year. She wasn't keen on Alevels although she is capable and didn't fancy doing an apprenticeship yet. She already volunteers with young children coaching at gymnastics. Depending on how much she enjoys her course she can stop after and work as a TA or in a nursery etc or progress on to do a degree in Primary education or early years. I know it's not necessarily keeping her options open by going straight into childcare at 16 but I think it will suit her and she will get work experience in a range of settings.

Edited at 04:44 PM.
Orlando 2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

My DD did the traditional route for Primary - BA Education with QTS and after a year teaching in the UK is now in Doha. She loves being a teacher and once she made the decision to go she hasn’t looked back. Lots of students in her uni ended up dropping the QTS element as they didn’t enjoy the placements and realised teaching wasn’t for them - they still have a degree which can lead to other opportunities.

Rosie did lots of work experience in a primary school before applying and was a Play Leader in the holiday/after school club. I would definitely recommend this as a friend’s daughter did the same thing and ended up being offered an Apprenticeship with the same school. She was very tempted but chose the Uni route instead.

Another friend of Rosie did a degree in something like Child’s Behaviour, spent a year as a HLTA/mentor in a High School and at the end of the year decided she now wants to be a primary teacher and has managed to secure a PGCE place through a private company which I believe is sponsored in some way so didn’t have to pay for a PGCE.

So yes, there are definitely different routes into teaching!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My daughter was a mature student after 12 years as a chef, did an access to uni course (not much in the way of qualifications), wasn’t seriously thinking about teaching but fancying journalism... did English lit and journalism at uni. Then found out about Teachfirst, got a placement in a primary school miles from home, Did a PGDE through them and is now in her third year at the same school and is doing a management course (again with teachfirst) and she loves it...
Good luck to your daughter whatever she decides but I and Emma would recommend the uni first direction...

getintoteaching.education.go...ns/teach-first

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 07:20 PM.
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

A levels, TA Apprenticeship, Degree then a Teaching Apprenticeship
or
TA Apprenticeship, Degree then a Teaching Apprenticeship

instituteforapprenticesh...assistant-v1-0

ucas/teaching-option...apprenticeship

You must have achieved the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship programmes:

You'll need to hold a degree awarded by a UK higher education provider, or a recognised equivalent qualification.
You’ll need to have achieved a standard equivalent to grade C/4, or above, in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics.
If you intend to train to teach pupils aged three to 11 (early years and primary), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C/4, or above, in a GCSE science subject examination.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our Daughter is in her second year of Primary Ed with QTS and she can't wait for it to end as she's finding it quite boring. She just wants to be a teacher and get started. Its not helping that the placements aren't happening right now but fingers crossed they will start again soon.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List