Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jul 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
andybonny
Proud to wear my Ears

First time indirect (via Atlanta) have we made a mistake?

Hi,

We're hearing lots of bad stories about flying indirect via Atlanta.

We arrive at Atlanta at 13:57 and our connecting flight is at 16:00 in mid October this year.

How many of you have successfully made a connection at Atlanta? What happens if we miss the connection? Is the Airport easy to get around?

We need either some reassurance that we've booked the right thing or advice if many of you think its a bad idea.

Any tips for a mature family of 5?

Thanks,

Andy
andybonny is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We like Atlanta and have never had problems. The train that travels very frequently between the terminals make it all very easy.
If you miss a connection, then they put you on a later flight.
I would certainly use Atlanta at any time to complete customs and immigration. It works (in our experience), much better than MCO.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:01 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I love Atlanta and would have happily changed there again this year but got cheaper directs. We had just under two hours to change in 2015 and got through with an hour to spare. As soon as you clear immigration, staff are on hand to direct you and take your cases. I would not hesitate to change there again. You'll be fine
happytraveller is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
molly48
Excited about Disney

I wouldn't had a nightmare coming back that way. Flight delayed from mco when we got to Atlanta told we would be put on a flight to New York but missed that as well. Ended up going to Paris and by the time we got to Paris they had lost our luggage. Got it back 3 days later and it had been to New York on the flight we had supposedly missed. The staff are the most rude and unhelpful i have ever come across. Took us 26 hours to get home 😞

1995 /1998 Disney All star music 1997 Quality inn plaza 2000 Caribbean beach 2004 Calabay parc
2005 southern dunes 2007/2008 Indian creek villa
2015 Avanti hotel / 2018 dibb villa Solterra. Port Orleans french quarter 2020
molly48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

Which way is the 2hoursif it's going home that's plenty of time.

We went August so peak time we had a 1 hr 45 min layover and we did everything in less than an hour. I was panicking initially but it helped that we had previous Estes.

There are lots of threads on going through Atlanta one is very good as someone goes through the process in detail.
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Changed at Atlanta 3 times and never had a problem. 2 hours is tight but definitely doable, particularly the time of year you are all travelling. Sure you will be fine - enjoy your trip !
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
fuelman
Proud to wear my Ears

We are also going via Atlanta in September and as already been said if you miss your flight they put you on the next one. Flights to MCO are every hour or so.
fuelman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Atlanta is probably one of the best indirect routes IMO
Delays can happen on any flight direct or indirect (Just look at some of the Thomson and Thomas Cook delayed flight threads). Delta's service recovery in these situations at Atlanta is great as there's always another flight to get you moving again.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We found Atlanta very easy when we flew through there 3 years ago. I'd go that way again happily.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Very smooth airport, you'll be fine I'm sure especially if flying delta as we were, because it's their hub and so they have loads of other flights if needed as back up
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List