Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Mar 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Minimanam
Apprentice Imagineer

Minimanam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Reality has hit hard! Advice Needed Please

With huge regret, we have to reassess the expectations of our holiday to WDW.

We are a family of 5 - DD's 17, 13 & 7 and DW and myself and are staying at the BC for three weeks.

Our DD 17 had major knee realignment surgery in November last year, and everything was on track for her to be as close to fully fit as she would ever get by now and therefore ready for a full-on Disney holiday this July. However, she has had some significant setbacks and complications where the screws holding her knee together are causing issues meaning she can not walk more than approximately 1 mile without severe pain and standing for any length of time is not possible.

Can anyone tell me what, if any help will be available at Disney? She is very stubborn and doesn't want to be considered disabled as she says there are people far worse off than she is but we want her and our other DD's to have the best time they can have in WDW.

I look forward to hearing any advice you may all have

Port Orleans Riverside

Art of Animation Suite

2016 - Art of Animation Suite

2019 - Beach Club Resort

Minimanam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You can hire wheelchairs in the park..if she doesn't mind that.
We had to do it with my nephew.
Certain rides that you can't easily access the standby line will give you a time to return and you then enter the back of the ride.

I hope your daughter recovers well.
Sounds very painful ☹️
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

I’d look at seeing if you can get a DAS pass from Disney to help with things like the queues & really make the most out of the FP’s.

I’m pretty sure there are wheelchairs you can hire at WDW but it’s on a first come service & she maybe not like that idea.
How about hiring a mobility scooter? It would feel more independent than having the wheelchair as she can control it herself rather than needing someone to help push her. My mum has one of her last trip & it was a lifesaver, allowing her to keep up with us & eased her pain. Plus the basket at the front came in very handy now we’re past the buggy stage lol

Edited at 10:10 AM.
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

If the issue is pure mobility (which it sounds like) you will not be able to get a das.
You can however ask to keep wc and take it in lines.
Hiring off site is alot cheaper.
She ll have an amazing break cos shes in disney
Dont walk when u dont have to.
Keep walking for water parks as harder with a chair (and even then i use the lazy river rather than walk lol.
Hth
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I actually think a mobility scooter might be the best option. She then wouldn't be reliant on others to get around. My sister has major hip issues and the first year she gave in and rented a scooter she was mortified but after a few days realised that it was actually the best thing for her. It helped her be independent as well as allowing us to not have to cut our days short because she was in pain. It really was useful and she always rents now. She's due another hip op later in the year which will help relieve the symptoms but until she has a full replacement she needs the scooter as she can walk short distances but Disney is not short!

She rents from Walker Mobility who deliver the scooter to the timeshare. Disney only allows certain mobility scooters to drop off at hotels without you being there (list is on their website) so its worth checking. You can rent on a day by day basis at the park but its based on availability and is definitely more expensive. The manual wheelchair option would then put extra pressure on someone to push her which my sister definitely wasn't willing to do but the scooter makes her feel independant
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

you can hire wheelchairs on just the days you think she might need one, Disney do a multi-day pass for $10 a day and you just hire on the days you want. we did this for DD, although she is a lot younger than your DD and didnt mind being pushed around, i think in your situation i would go for a mobility scooter. You wil just need to explain exactly how hard it will be for your DD, and if she damages her knee through over use it would completely wipe out the whole holiday for her. Also on a side note check that damage to her knee would also be covered on travel insurance. X i hope that it all works out for you. It may be an idea to alter plans to make it a bit easier anyway and take things at a slower more relaxing pace.
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Last holiday I ended up renting a wheelchair from the park for the last few days and really wish I’d hired it earlier in the holiday. It’s a totally different scenario ‘coping’ with a knee issue and not wanting to accept the fact it’s really holding you up when here in the uk in this weather, but in the intense heat of Orlando in July, it really gets you down, plus everyone else in your group has to go at snail pace too.
You can hire scooters or wheelchairs from Buena Vista Mobility ( Disney recommended) for your entire stay, save battling at the park rental each visit, which have a stand over at the Boardwalk if your DD didn’t want to commit without seeing or trying. You could get the boat over there if walking was difficult ( it doesn’t look far but when in pain even getting to the lift in the hotel is far enough!). They will also deliver and pick up wheelchairs etc from resort too.

Edited at 10:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

I would suggest a mobility scooter too, she is in control so she would still have freedom without relying on someone to push her. A lot of them allow you to go to specific entrances which cut back on the queue or allow you to take the scooter in the queue.
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

My DD has asked for a DAS the last few trips as on previous ones she was in a wheelchair that I pushed. She has joint problems and can also find it difficult to walk/stand. She now tries to walk as much as possible (with lots of breaks and going at a pace that works for her) as I can no longer push her and in fact have hired a mobility scooter the last few times for myself.

I do know that Disney have increased their ECV/mobility scooter age limit to 18 - it used to be 16 and we would joke that once DD reached 16 she could use one and save me some energy. I had a quick look at Gold Mobility's terms and conditions for scooter hire and I couldn't find anything about a minimum age - they've also been the cheapest that I've found and the service has been great. They also have small additions to their scooters that make them a little more attractive - like a phone charging port and a phone holder (isn't that an essential for the young 'uns? ). The other positive to hiring a non-Disney one is that you can take it when you go shopping...

I do, very much, understand her point of view - I have a hidden disability - and I appear able bodied and fully acknowledge that there are people out there - and indeed families on here - that are facing far more difficulties than I am. But, it's about accepting and doing what is best for you at the time - perhaps another way of looking at it is, if she'd broken her leg, rather than having surgery, would she have accepted a wheelchair/scooter then?

The beauty of Disney is that no one really bats an eyelid if you hop off your scooter or wheelchair to get on a ride or pose for a picture.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
If the issue is pure mobility (which it sounds like) you will not be able to get a das.
You can however ask to keep wc and take it in lines.
Hiring off site is alot cheaper.
She ll have an amazing break cos shes in disney
Dont walk when u dont have to.
Keep walking for water parks as harder with a chair (and even then i use the lazy river rather than walk lol.
Hth
I disagree, she cannot stand for long or walk normal distances so if the situation is the same when they go a DAS pass is entirely appropriate.
DAS is issued for all kinds of situations , for example a guest with ASD with normal mobility but issues or poor tolerance with long queues , anxiety, proximity etc would also qualify.

The OP should read the conditions for DAS for herself though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List