Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

1989 ,
My first attempt I had to cancel when I changed jobs so when a few months later I won a place on a travel agent’s familiarisation from one of the trade newspapers I jumped at the chance.
We flew Delta from Gatwick where I met my roommate for the trip, we are still in touch.
It was billed as central and northern Florida.
We had one day at Disney , we were dropped early morning at the Newly opened Studios with some Disney dollars, told to be at EPCOT by 6pm for dinner at Germany and then Illuminations . I absolutely loved it !
In that week we also visited Seaworld, St Augustine , Melbourne, Jacksonville , KSC and Amelia Island.
Exhausting but great fun .
I returned a few months later for a “proper holiday” staying at the familiar to many of us , Gateway Inn and back a year later for my honeymoon. The rest was history Hooked !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vanlou View Post
I remember reading your trip report with your sister

For Florida our 1st trip was in 2011 for mine & OHs 40th. We flew with Virgin and stayed at POFQ for 2 weeks, and one night at HRH in the middle. We visited all the Disney parks and both Universal ones.

Prior to that all our Disney trips had been to DLP.
😂😂😂 The 2013 trip was amazing, a fair few moments where I didn’t know if we would both be coming home But the first time seeing the castle and experiencing everything can’t be beaten.

In 2016 when I went with OH for the first time, we did a few firsts and a Disney cruise so it felt (in some places) like 2013 again.

On the subject of my sister - we’ve talked about a trip to Vegas (was meant to be next year, but will be 2022 or beyond now most likely), with both our partners. I’ve told my fiancé I’ll be booking our seats far away 😂
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪

Edited at 09:38 PM.
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

1992 The Orlando Vacation Resort (which no longer exists). It was out near the orange groves.

It was a Virgin holidays trip, direct flights in & out of Miami with 1st night at MIA & 13 Orlando, with hire car - £399 each.

I went with a friend, we were both student nurses, I saved for it by working on my 2 days off a week

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Our first trip was in 1997 which encompassed our 22nd wedding anniversary and Easter for the boys. We flew on a charter flight (can't remember which one) and stayed at the Riverside in Alligator Bayou. We were very near to one of the swimming pools which the boys loved and was great for when we needed to do laundry. We were also fortunate to see 'mummy duck' walk her ducklings across to the stream each morning. The boys loved the Easter Egg hunt and still talk about their first visit to Disney with fond memories.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Nov 1992 - went with girlfriend who is now DW.
Flew Britannia from Manchester.
Stayed 14 nights at Best Western I Drive
Drove a white Lincoln Town Car.
Did 4 days WDW plus US, Sea World and KSC
Spent too much time in ponderosa
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
2002 with friends, flew with VH from Manchester. Stayed in a private villa on Indian Ridge, hired a 8 seater minivan (that was huge!) Decided before the end of the holiday we would be back. Since been numerous times and bought DVC points at OKW (sold) and BLT!

Edited at 09:50 PM.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hollyhobbit
Excited about Disney

1981 ( I think)with my parents , sister and brother. Flew Freddie Laker Airways to Tampa. Stayed in a villa near Tarpon Springs , I remember being totally fed up because there was no pool. We visited Magic Kingdom just for the day
Hollyhobbit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

I’m gonna guess at mine

I think it was 2000 (I was 12)
Mytravel airline
Days inn somewhere near sand lake - I remember what the pool looked like and the hotel but can’t find it on google maps so it’s probably gone
We went to Disney.

Edited at 10:05 PM.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

1988; was the first US trip for DBF (now DH); we were both 20; we went to Orlando for 4 days!

We were in the US for 3 weeks staying with my family who lived in the Philly/New Jersey areas.
My cousin was a travel agent and said if we wanted to, she’d book a trip to Disney for us & use her staff discounts so quite a cheap trip.

We flew from Philly (US Air maybe?), a driver met us & dropped us at our hotel, The Contemporary.
Before dropping us off, he gave us a quick tour of the other on-site Disney hotels; didn’t take long as they were all in the same area; Polynesian, Grand Floridian which was a month away from opening & the Disney Inn (now Shades of Green).

We had a 3 day ticket; just 2 parks (MK & Epcot) & River Country; Typhoon Lagoon was starting construction. All rides were walk-ons; Septembers in the 80’s were quiet!

Tons of characters just walking around at leisure; no formal meet & greets;when you saw them, you stopped them & posed for a photo.
Mickey’s Birthday Land was new that year to celebrate MM’s 60th birthday.We went on the 20,000 Leagues submarine & the Skyway cable cars in the Magic Kingdom; long since gone.

We also visited the Disney Village & loved it; long before it became Disney Marketplace/Downtown Disney/Disney Springs; the merchandise was fantastic quality compared to now; it had around 5-6 shops & 2 places to buy the likes of ice cream, burgers & dogs.
We ate in some of the Disney table service restaurants; walked up & straight in to all we ate at.

Loved that Disney; glad we got to see it before the days of fast passes, ADRs, queues, endless planning & before it became the giant money making conveyor belt it now appears to be.

Edited at 10:38 PM.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Addition

Our first trip was in 1996 on the 25th anniversary when the castle was decorated like a giant cake.
We stayed at Knights Inn Maingate motel in Kissimmee. Our booking included breakfast supposedly which was a muffin & carton of orange juice
We then discovered Ponderosa
Booked through Virgin holidays
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List