Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

We've had this with our last property, they were very crafty and the so called shed/garage ended up being a granny flat, it ruined our view.
We moved away through work thank god.
I'd be very suspicious of that photo.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
We've had this with our last property, they were very crafty and the so called shed/garage ended up being a granny flat, it ruined our view.
We moved away through work thank god.
I'd be very suspicious of that photo.
I’d have preferred if they’d just come & spoken to us about it, I think doing things like this sneakily when they affect others is a really crap way to behave.

I know the guy here before was similar so I guess they’ve assumed we’re going to be the same. He’d climbed over the fence & cut down a tree of theirs when they were away, bit of an ongoing war by all accounts between the two men.

I’ve never had a dispute with neighbours, there’s always a compromise if everyone can act like decent human beings!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I’d have preferred if they’d just come & spoken to us about it, I think doing things like this sneakily when they affect others is a really crap way to behave.

I know the guy here before was similar so I guess they’ve assumed we’re going to be the same. He’d climbed over the fence & cut down a tree of theirs when they were away, bit of an ongoing war by all accounts between the two men.

I’ve never had a dispute with neighbours, there’s always a compromise if everyone can act like decent human beings!
Unfortunately some people are like that ☹️ they don't give 2 hoots about their neighbours these days.
If you get decent respectful neighbours you're lucky 😉
Feel for you though 👍
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

They don't have to consult you over what they do in their own garden. What they do in their own property is their business.

They do have to comply with local planning laws though. Most local authorities have websites you can sign up to where you get alerted of any planning applications within a certain distance of your home (something like 500m). I would find out if this is available, you can set and alert and also look for any existing / previous applications.

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with what they are doing. It is a temporary structure, well away from the boundary and not blocking any light from your house. The fact you have a low fence line makes it appear worse and buying because of a sight line across someones garden always had the potential to change.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
They don't have to consult you over what they do in their own garden. What they do in their own property is their business.

They do have to comply with local planning laws though. Most local authorities have websites you can sign up to where you get alerted of any planning applications within a certain distance of your home (something like 500m). I would find out if this is available, you can set and alert and also look for any existing / previous applications.

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with what they are doing. It is a temporary structure, well away from the boundary and not blocking any light from your house. The fact you have a low fence line makes it appear worse and buying because of a sight line across someones garden always had the potential to change.
We don’t have a low fence line, that’s a 6’ fence.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Unfortunately some people are like that ☹️ they don't give 2 hoots about their neighbours these days.
If you get decent respectful neighbours you're lucky 😉
Feel for you though 👍
In what way is trying to make your own property better for your own use by putting up a temporary building well away from the neighbours property not giving 2 hoots or being disrespectful?

If they had built it behind their current garage and up against the fence blocking light then you could say that.

NIMBY is the acronym that comes to mind with that outlook. Not saying it applies to theis thread in total, just that comment.

Edited at 10:39 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We don’t have a low fence line, that’s a 6’ fence.
Then you must have a high step from where you took the photo or were holding the camera high as you are 2 feet above the fence on that photo angle.

So at ground level you can hardly see that new construction at all I would suspect.
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

If the building is going to be used for someone to sleep in then building regs etc need to be followed and the build has to be approved.
As for this from the picture its not clear what sort of structure it is, sheds are ok without planning permission upto a specific height.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
In what way is trying to make your own property better for your own use by putting up a temporary building well away from the neighbours property not giving 2 hoots or being disrespectful?

If they had built it behind their current garage and up against the fence blocking light then you could say that.

NIMBY is the acronym that comes to mind.
I can give my opinion just like you, that is my opinion.
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I think you should look at your area's planning rules.

There is a lot you can do these days under permitted development.

There will be rules around -
1. foot print as a %age of the total site
2. Height of apex and eves
3. Distance from edge of property
4. Does it impact the view from the front
5. There will be light lines - does it impact these. People think there is no "right to light" - there is. They will specify the angles within which you can and cant erect a structure.

There will be others, but best to look at your local planing site.

I spent weeks going through the PD rules for our area to see if I could get our extension within these. In the end we couldn't. But you can do an awful lot without planning.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List