Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 14, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Sell New York to me !

Hi

It's a long story but my husband fancies a trip to New York next year. We keep thinking about going but somewhere else always wins out.

Have you been and is it wonderful?
Is 4 or 5 days enough?
What are your absolute must dos
Is there anything off the beaten track (or on it) that's not touristy but you thought was fab.
Is it more expensive than other parts of the US?
Does it live up to its not very friendly reputation?
Which is the best airport in your opinion
Where's the best area to stay
Which is the best theatre ?
Where can you recommend for live music - preferably country
Bottom line ... Would you go again?

Sorry for all the questions but any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jo
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 14, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dollyjojo View Post
Hi

It's a long story but my husband fancies a trip to New York next year. We keep thinking about going but somewhere else always wins out.

Have you been and is it wonderful? YES YES YES
Is 4 or 5 days enough? I ONLY DONE 3 nights last year from Scotland with dh, going back next year for four nights enroute to florida with the kids 5/11
What are your absolute must dos TOTR OR EMPIRE STATE, BROOKLYN BRIDGE WALK, CENTRAL PARK, 9/11 MEMORIAL, SHOPPING JUST BECAUSE( Tiffany's , Bloomingdales , macys, century 21 and tons more) FLATIRON, GRAND CENTRAL STATION,FREE STATEN ISLAND FERRY - still to do airspace museum, 9/11 museum ( not sure bout this yet) high line, a show, a bus tour ( preferred to walk and subway as traffic was busy and didn't want to be sat in it ) see a concert in Madison square gardens ( Elton and buble have played there but I missed it ) ooh tons that's why I'm going back
Is there anything off the beaten track (or on it) that's not touristy but you thought was fab. PROB LOADS BUT WASNT THERE LONG ENOUGH. I FANCY GOING TO CONEY ISLAND IN BROOKLYN
Is it more expensive than other parts of the US? Ooh DONT KNOW AS ITLL BE MY FIRST TIME TO FLORIDA, BUT IT WASNT AS CHEAP CLOTHES WISE AS I WAS LED TO BELIEVE
Does it live up to its not very friendly reputation? I THOUGHT EVERYONE WAS AMAZING IN GENERAL
Which is the best airport in your opinion ONLY DONE NEWARK BUT JFK NEXT TIME
Where's the best area to stay MIDTOWN NEAR LOTS
Which is the best theatre ? DONT KNOW
Bottom line ... Would you go again? OOOOH DEFO CANT WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR. when we got out the transfer bus onto the street, the smell hit me of food and sweet stuff, the traffic noise , the beep beep of the cars lol , loved it so much

Sorry for all the questions but any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Jo

I think you should go
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 14, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
gavdon
slightly serious Dibber

We've just returned from our 7th trip to NYC.
- So, to answer your first & last points - yes, it's wonderful & yes, we will go back.
- If your just wanting to get a feel for it then 5 days should be ok to start with.
- Must do's is a difficult one as there are so many, here are a few - Staten Island Ferry(it's free), Rockefeller(Top of the Rock), Empire State Building, Central Park, Grand Central Station, Brooklyn Bridge.
- Things off the beaten track are what we have been trying to do the last couple of trips - Roosevelt Island Tram, Carl Schruz Park, George Washington Bridge, Brooklyn, Corona Park.
- Yes it is more expensive than some other parts of the US.
- Generally it's quite a freindly city, it's a lot safer than it used to be.
- We've flown into Newark & JFK. I can't really say one is better than the other. Both have good links to Manhattan.
- Midtown would probably be the best place to stay, it shouldn't matter too much as the subway is easy to use. Anywhere south of Central Park for your first trip should be ok.
- Can't comment on theatres or music.

Hopefully this has helped a bit.
gavdon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 14, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I found that New Yorkers are very friendly and if you look lost someone will generally ask if you need help.
There is one proviso - if you are stopping to take pictures or check a map move to the side of the pavement. They are always in a hurry and don't like their path being blocked!
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 03:27 AM  
Link to this Post
DapperDisNY
Serious Dibber

DapperDisNY's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Have you been and is it wonderful?
Live in NY, so I'm here all the time and love it.

Is 4 or 5 days enough?
You can pretty much see everything in 4/5 days. I usually head into the city for the day and I get tons done.

What are your absolute must dos
Broadway, Time Square, Central Park, The MET, tons of delicious food places, Greenwich village, Bryant Park, NHL/NBC store

Is there anything off the beaten track (or on it) that's not touristy but you thought was fab.
Tons, Once you head downtown the tourists clear out. Every time I'm around there I always find a new place.
Also Fort Tryon Park, Tenement Museum, Greenacre Park, Fraunces Tavern, Stone Street (Financial District).

Is it more expensive than other parts of the US?
From the other places I visited it all seems around the same. The tax is higher though. NYC if filled with everything from cheap to super pricey, so it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Does it live up to its not very friendly reputation?
While there are definitely rude people who live here, I would say the majority are nice and very helpful. Traveling around on the weekend at night you might meet the occasional drunk person. Other than that its just another myth.
Someone mentioned about taking pictures in the middle of the sidewalk. 100% true. Annoys me every time, lol.

Which is the best airport in your opinion
JFK and ISP

Where's the best area to stay
I know most people on here stay in the NYC, Brooklyn, and the Queens area. But I think Long Island is excellent and needs to be mentioned. So much to do and see there as well.

Which is the best theatre?
Whichever one has Rock of Ages, Helen Hayes I think it is

The only one I know is Rockwood Music Hall, I have never been there myself, but friends at work tell me it is the best.

Bottom line ... Would you go again?
Of Course!

Edited at 03:36 AM.
DapperDisNY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

Mobile

Lost count how many times I've been. Got married there. Love, love, love it. Just book.
Old 30 Sep 14, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Ive been twice and the second time wasn't the same, I wouldn't go back again.
I much preferred Chicago and Boston to New York and would go back there again and again.
Old 30 Sep 14, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
I found that New Yorkers are very friendly and if you look lost someone will generally ask if you need help.
There is one proviso - if you are stopping to take pictures or check a map move to the side of the pavement. They are always in a hurry and don't like their path being blocked!
Wow really! I felt the total opposite both times we were there.
I found the NYers really rather rude and self centered
However In Boston and Chicago was a complete different story, we felt the cities belonged to the people and they were much nicer and authentic.
Old 30 Sep 14, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post

We went for 5 days and it was amazing ! Absolutely loved the atmosphere of the place and the people .
Going back next November and cannot wait !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
We went about 4 years ago and to start with DH didn't want to go but our kids did. I had always wanted to go so three down and one to go so to speak. Well - from the moment we arrived I don't think he took the grin off his face. We all loved it and we had four nights there before flying to Florida. Most of the typical tourist things are in Manhattan and we had considered staying over in Hoboken but really glad we didn't as I do enough commuting here in London. We stayed in Manhattan and my recommendation would be to do the same as it's your first time - gives you just that little bit more time.

A lot of Dibbers opt for the Big Apple Greeter - we didn't as we forgot. Check it out and you might find this adds another dimension. Things we liked that were not often mentioned were Central Park (daytime --- I had been advised against going there at night!) boating lake and the Strawberry Fields memorial to John Lennon. There is a brilliant saxophone player busking there - check out YT - it was fantastic. We also liked the Guggenheim - the style of the building was very quirky considering when it was built. A friend of mine got into the audience at the David Letterman show and loved it. Would also say that you can also see celebrities there too - unfortunately, we just missed Tom Cruise while we were there. Also - check out Radio City for shows - we never realised that our favourite artist was going to be performing there.

We managed to get round most stuff in our 4 days. It was full on and we found walking was best for us with a few subway trips thrown in. Eating out for us was a bit more expensive than Florida if I recall. A breakfast could cost the same as a dinner in some Florida restaurants - however, you have to go to a proper diner and have breakfast at least once. We used the Brooklyn Diner and the Astro since it was quite close.

We also went to the Pier 15 area which had a buzz about it when we were there plus there is the best view of the Brooklyn Bridge from the Manhattan side I think.

New Yorkers were definitely a friendly bunch as said above.

You must go and experience it for yourself though and then you can come on and tell us what you thought!