Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Soundproofing neighbour noise

I have very nice but noisy neighbours. I actually feel like we are the same family sometimes! Is there anyway of soundproofing walls minus egg boxes?
Old 27 Oct 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sorry to say no. You can mitigate a bit by decent carpets, sealing under skirtings, thicker roof insulation etc. In reality that will get rid of less than 1% in my view.
Not what you want to hear I know.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Our previous house was a 50s semi. I could hold a conversation in bed with the neighbours. It was really bad.

We’ve moved to a modern terrace and I was worried about the noise but I’ve never heard a thing.

I think it’s the house design as much as the neighbors as our new neighbors are very noisy outside. I don’t believe they turn silent once they go in!
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

We tried sound proofing our bedroom wall as it backs onto neighbours bathroom. We used sound proof plaster board and special insulation. However it didn’t make much difference.
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

No,you can spend a fortune on products that may* help a bit, but sound travels in complex ways and stopping it is virtually impossible unless you are absolutely sure what is causing it... and usually what you need is to create a gap rather than a barrier ...as it can run along joists etc...
Sorry - moving is your best option.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve looked into all of this. There are companies that sell soundproofing things but at a cost of space (which we don’t have in a new build) and it’s a lot of money if it doesn’t work.

A lot of the noise we have is through them having wooden floor throughout and there’s nothing we can do about that.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Our bedroom needs redecorating and needs new window (new windows throughout the house) & carpet. Supposed to be fine before Christmas (I won’t hold my breath)
Because we have a problem with our neighbours dog we or should I say ‘I’ have insisted on quadruple glazing, having soundproof plaster boards fitted on the walls in our bedroom, thick underlay & plush carpet and thermal curtains (already have blackout blinds)
I don’t feel like I am wasting money on the windows as we got them for our patios when we did the extension and we are very happy with them. We have already had wall insulation fitted and attic done so the house will be toasty warm lol
I just hope it takes the edge of the high pitched dog whining, I know it won’t work 100% but I am hoping it will at least muffle it a bit.
If you need to decorate anyway this could be an option but if not it’s a big expensive and probably won’t work unfortunately.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

you can soundproof to a certain degree

you will look a little of your room, as it essentially creates a 2nd wall and you fill that with soundproofing, I did a job many years back and the client lost about 200mm of the room with the extra wall and soundproofing, not sure who supplied it though

a quick google brings this company who claim they will reduce about 65 dB

soundproofingstore/walls#howtowall

not too expensive either
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Friend tried it with a professional company and it failed... I wouldnt bother...
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Sorry to say no. You can mitigate a bit by decent carpets, sealing under skirtings, thicker roof insulation etc. In reality that will get rid of less than 1% in my view.
Not what you want to hear I know.
Didn’t think so.