Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Jun 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Thank you I hope so too !
I think they said peach season in May -July we saw a lot of little empty stalls on the road side
Even if you are not interested in the museum of the Pacific war it will honestly blow your mind that such a top notch ( on par with the smithsonian) museum can be sited here I would highly recommend it
Also if you are planning to go to the Alamo go early as they do get big queues, if you don’t want to queue you can go in through the left hand side Towards the sculpture garden which like the main entrances is free
That’s great, hopefully we’ll be there in time for peach season.
I’ll add the museum to the list. The teens will probably groan but they can find something else to do while we look round!
I can imagine the Alamo gets very busy, it must be one their most popular tourist attractions. Good tip about going around the side. It’s a bit like the secret entrance into Animal Kingdom through the rainforest cafe 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I'm also following!
Also interested in a trip round Texas. Done other road trips in the USA and elsewhere and have always been some of the best for holiday memories!
I’ve still got your itinerary from the road trip you did around the Mighty 5 that you so kindly sent me, we’ll definitely be doing that one once the kids leave! You get to see so much more on a road trip, they are our favourite type of holiday now.
It’s funny as 10 years ago I much preferred to be sitting on my back side around the pool for 2 weeks 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

I'm not sure if you are aware but if you visit Hamilton Pool Preserve you need to book a morning or afternoon slot in advance online. We stayed at Lakeway Resort and Spa which was approximately 30 mins from Hamilton pool and Austin.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I'm not sure if you are aware but if you visit Hamilton Pool Preserve you need to book a morning or afternoon slot in advance online. We stayed at Lakeway Resort and Spa which was approximately 30 mins from Hamilton pool and Austin.
I wasn’t aware of that, thank you. How far in advance did you book?

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 Jun 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I wasn’t aware of that, thank you. How far in advance did you book?
We only found out you had to book in advance when we first went and were turned away. We immediately booked for the following day. It was April when we went, whether it's any busier in the summer months I'm not sure.
They try to regulate the numbers as it could quite easily get overcrowded.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 20, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
We only found out you had to book in advance when we first went and were turned away. We immediately booked for the following day. It was April when we went, whether it's any busier in the summer months I'm not sure.
They try to regulate the numbers as it could quite easily get overcrowded.
Ok great, so it doesn’t need booking too far in advance. As we’d be going at peak US holiday time I should imagine pre booking will be a must. It’s good they do it so it doesn’t get overcrowded

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 Jun 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I’ve still got your itinerary from the road trip you did around the Mighty 5 that you so kindly sent me, we’ll definitely be doing that one once the kids leave! You get to see so much more on a road trip, they are our favourite type of holiday now.
It’s funny as 10 years ago I much preferred to be sitting on my back side around the pool for 2 weeks 😂
Well, it is well worth doing that trip Smithlane! And I'm glad you found it useful for a future trip!
In fact we have been talking about it only today, doing it all again! Just my hubby and me this time though
However, a trip round Texas is also very much on our couple's to-do list!
I LOVE the planning! So am enjoying your thread!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thank you Anji, I’m gutted you didn’t do a trip report!
Will definitely note down the Oasis at Lake Travis as we’ll be over that way.
I’ve heard quite a few times that San Antonio is ridiculously hot, do they have their own micro climate?
I’m thinking of cutting down the beach time to add on a night to stay in Fredricksburg as it seems no one raves about the beaches in Texas
Sorry! Was in my pre-report days If you want to see some photos of anything, just ask!
Good move for Fredricksburg - the countryside is very pretty around there too and there were loads of wild flowers when we went.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I have a bit of unfinished business in Texas and want to go back to explore off the beaten track someday maybe when we do Route 66. I loved Austin and San Antonio was nice. The cities though had a very different feel to other American cities. I love US cities but there was something ''off'' about Dallas and Houston. The people seem to live in big McMansions in the suburbs and there's no real heart and as Yorkshire said Houston traffic and infrastructure made LA look like a quaint village. Sight to see but too car centered, I can't imagine living there and no wonder so many were huge, very unhealthy way to live. Austin has a European feel, reminded of Boston, San Fran and Portland. Fab music and food scene. Great holiday but Texas is not to my tastes. I think it's a place you will either fall madly in love with or you'll say 'meh'. Oh yeah it was also the first time someone tried to witness to me - in a Starbucks in Dallas. Hadn't a clue what she was on about and when I decked it I didn't have time to think before I said 'ah no love, I'm a recovering Catholic' and she looked at me like a stain on a hotel towel and darted off. It's a pure Americana place, everything is massive, vast, American flags flying, pickup trucks everywhere, lots of religious references, lots of buffets (well maybe no more lol), old fashioned diners, giant houses, rodeos, football, everyone calling you m'am every minute, guns (first time I'd seen a civilian open carry was a shopowner at a gas station. Great for photography too if you're into that, lots of quirky things to snap and great light out on the open road.

Someone said they wanted to go to Utah in the future ^^ Wait for a special birthday/anniversary, save your coins, stay at the Amangiri and thank me later!

Edited at 08:57 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Well, it is well worth doing that trip Smithlane! And I'm glad you found it useful for a future trip!
In fact we have been talking about it only today, doing it all again! Just my hubby and me this time though
However, a trip round Texas is also very much on our couple's to-do list!
I LOVE the planning! So am enjoying your thread!
I can’t wait to do the road trip around Utah, I’ve pretty much planned that one as well. It’s fairly identical to your itinerary 😂
Oh god same here, I think I’ve got about 4 or 5 in the works at the moment!
I’m glad this thread is helping your planning for Texas. We just need this pesky virus to do one and for us to start looking forward to holidays again!

IG - alicialanesmith