Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

Aer Lingus been awkward

We booked Dub-MCO direct with AerLingus last December to travel in October. We paid a depost of 1,601 and balance was due 22nd August. I have received no correspondence since booking and when i logged in last week ( after the date ) i couldnt see my booking nor could i see any flights going to Orlando for my dates.
I spoke to AerLingus today, who are telling me that i wont be entitled to any refund or voucher as i never paid the full balance on time. She said according to her system flights are operating as normal. Although Orlando is not a city you can fly into... im left baffled on what i can do. We cant fly as no entry into USA, they now have a large balance from us and all we want is to use that balance as a vouher, keep our business with AerLingus and fly elsewhere instead.
Other option she mentioned was to pay the full balance and then ask for it back... for a flight that will not be going ahead... another 2,300 euros in addition to the 1,600 already paid.
PixieFairies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I'm not sure there's much you can do if you missed the payment due date without contacting them first. Have you read the small print from the booking? It looks like they are claiming you effectively cancelled yourself by not paying the balance. I would get clarification in writing if possible before handing over the balance but it may be your only option.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I think you may have to pay the balance in this case as it does seem like you cancelled yourself by not contacting them. The flight is not going but AL seem to be cancelling 3 weeks in advance so I suppose it looks ''normal'' on her system until them. I imagine your travel insurance won't help either as they'll say you broke the contract when you didn't pay the balance. you likely won't be able to get the deposit back as voucher because they are seeing it as you lost the deposit when you didn't pay the balance. I would get it in writing from them though that you can pay up now and be entitled to refund when they cancel your flight. That sounds like your best option.

Sorry if that post sounded like a big wall of blaming you! I hope you get your money back.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Most companies wont remind you when the balance is due. Hopefully they will allow you to pay so that you can get all your money back.
Old 3 Sep 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm having a nightmare with them too waiting on a refund of €3k.
I would imagine you will have to pay the balance, wait for the flight to be cancelled and then wait for the money to be refunded. Otherwise you will loose the deposit you paid
Old 4 Sep 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

You made a fatal error in judgement. It was very obvious in August that Aerlingus would still not be flying to Orlando in October from Dublin directly. Why did you leave it until after your final payment date to contact them?
If you had contacted them earlier then they would have refunded your deposit. The situation is now more complex.

Honestly I would take anything they say over the phone with a pinch of salt unless you get it in writing. You may end up paying the final payment and find their T&Cs have changed and you have been told old advise.

Truthfully, going by their T&Cs, by missing the final payment you have forfitted your flights and they could refuse to refund. In the current pandemic, they are likely to be a little more lenient, but remember who now owns them.

By failing to pay your final payment in time, you also will be limited with help from your credit card or travel insurance.

Im still a little baffled, as if you thought you were still travelling you would have paid the final payment on time, if you didnt think you were travelling or didnt want to travel you would have contacted Aerlingus to cancel your booking.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 12:43 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I agree with all the comments made iro Aer Lingus.

Please be aware that they will enforce terms & conditions but if someone has agreed to allow you to pay the balance a bit later, please note that you are not likely to get a refund of that money anytime soon (if they cancel your flight). From the sounds of it, that may have already happened-especially if your Booking Ref has disappeared.
That'd mean you won't have the option of paying the balance and will have taken a 'hit' on the deposit you paid.
I too booked flights with them and paid a deposit BUT I did pay my balance well before Covid and I am still awaiting my voucher and thats over 8 weeks now. Some are still waiting since March!

I need the voucher to book for 2021. Currently I cannot book until I get the voucher.

Bare this in mind when deciding whether or not to pay the balance or lose the deposit.
As has been suggested, IF you decide to pay the balance, GET IT IN WRITING BEFOREHAND THAT IF AL SUBSEQUENTLY CANCEL YOUR FLIGHTS, YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO A VOUCHER AND/OR REFUND OF THE FULL AMOUNT INC THE DEPOSIT.

In the circumstances you described, even with plenty of pixie dust,IF you are lucky, you'll be a while getting it back.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 08:45 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ciano View Post
I'm having a nightmare with them too waiting on a refund of €3k.
I would imagine you will have to pay the balance, wait for the flight to be cancelled and then wait for the money to be refunded. Otherwise you will loose the deposit you paid
So sorry to hear you are still waiting for AL to give you a refund.
I don't understand how some get theirs and others don't. Its total hit and miss.

I'm going to try a chargeback and have the letter already to send. You should try this too, before its too late.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lam View Post
So sorry to hear you are still waiting for AL to give you a refund.
I don't understand how some get theirs and others don't. Its total hit and miss.

I'm going to try a chargeback and have the letter already to send. You should try this too, before its too late.
Lesley I got a reply to my 100th twitter message today to say it has been processed and give it 5 days. Finally. I know its a crap situ all round. We couldn't afford to keep €3k with them but at same time they are struggling massively. I'm still hoping to book next year but not till we get a vaccine. Hope you get sorted soon too x
Old 5 Sep 20, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Fingers crossed for DDs refund on our cc arriving within 7 days. She was notified today, but she applied online at end of July. It's not as slow as some people but it's still been an irritating wait!
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List