Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
LOL, OK...

One said use analogue cameras the other said IP

One said night colour cameras (uses white light) one said black and white at night using infrared

One said run a lead down from the recorder in the loft to a TV, other said not worthwhile when you can watch on online/tablet/laptop

One said cameras high almost at the soffit, other said approx 10 to 12 feet

One said camera near the front door the other said no point as criminals would take it out

One said 2MP cameras were more than good enough and it's frame rate that's important , the other said he wouldn't fit lower than 4MP and didn't mention frame rate

One said a 1TB recorder is enough the other said 2TB

😬
Hahaha clear as mud lol.

Mother in law had two HD cameras fitted and 1 terabyte box with 30 day recording for £450 one guy did job, very professional with good cable management. We were happy with this price.
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dan123 View Post
LOL, OK...

One said use analogue cameras the other said IP

One said night colour cameras (uses white light) one said black and white at night using infrared

One said run a lead down from the recorder in the loft to a TV, other said not worthwhile when you can watch on online/tablet/laptop

One said cameras high almost at the soffit, other said approx 10 to 12 feet

One said camera near the front door the other said no point as criminals would take it out

One said 2MP cameras were more than good enough and it's frame rate that's important , the other said he wouldn't fit lower than 4MP and didn't mention frame rate

One said a 1TB recorder is enough the other said 2TB

😬
I think a good cctv installer should give you the options and let you decide what your preference/budget is.

I have some cctv cameras that only use colour day and night as the light in the area is sufficient for that, but not all areas are good enough and hence why infrared (black and white) is used in the dark.

Analogue or IP depends on what you want and your budget.

I would have a camera covering the front door but have another higher up.

Some 2mp are better than inferior 4mp in some cases, but I would go for 4mp and a reasonable make (there are so many cheap Chinese imports).

1TB or more is dependent on how many cameras you have and how long you want to keep recordings for. I would usually suggest 2tp with 4 x 4mp cameras.

The hard drive is better hidden away (doesn't have to be in the loft).

The police were impressed with the night time quality of my cctv cameras when some scum tried to break into my house, but they were masked up as most are nowadays so hard to identify them, so the best cctv system in the world won't help when the scum are covered up.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ok, to break it down...

>>One said use analogue cameras the other said IP
traditionally wired analogue cameras were better, but these days, IP cams are just as good and not that much more expensive. personally, id go wired IP cams over cat6 (or better) using PoE instead of running two cables (network/video and power)

>>One said night colour cameras (uses white light) one said black and white at night using infrared
white light as in an LED "floodlight"? that may work for some areas, but having a floodlight come on constantly may annoy your neighbours. we have one that has IR and and LED floodlight (and you can set the trigger level for the floodlight) and it's decent enough, but if i had them all round the house triggering randomly, my neighbours would hate me.

IR is old technology, starview chips have made a big difference, although they are relatively expensive compared to traditional IR illumination.

>>One said run a lead down from the recorder in the loft to a TV, other said not worthwhile when you can watch on online/tablet/laptop
yep. assuming you go IP, or the recorder is networked, it makes no sense to have a cable running as long as your house wifi coverage is decent enough. its an extra expense that isnt particularly necessary now... if you want to view it on tv, get something that can either cast from the app on your phone (chromecast/firestick) or get a raspberry pi and set that up permanently on one of the hdmi channels

>>One said cameras high almost at the soffit, other said approx 10 to 12 feet
cant really advise on that, but it depends on the resolution of the camera i suppose

>>One said camera near the front door the other said no point as criminals would take it out
they could take it out, yes... but hopefully if they do, youve still got some footage of them pulling up to the house and getting to the camera. a couple of years ago, a neighbour had his van stolen. the camera at the side caught it being driven off, but nothing else useful...my front driveway camera caught the car they pulled up in, got out of and then took the van... it didnt get the licence plate, but it clearly showed two guys getting out of a blue ford estate, so at least gave them something to go off when checking other street cctv in the area. my point is, fit as many cameras as you can afford, if one gets taken out, then hopefuly another will get something useful.

>>One said 2MP cameras were more than good enough and it's frame rate that's important , the other said he wouldn't fit lower than 4MP and didn't mention frame rate
2mp or 2k? theres a big difference

2mp is 1600 x 1200 (and is probably about as high as analogue wired cams will go)
2k is 2560x1440 (and is probably the lowest res you would want for a decent modern ip camera)

2k is adequate, 4k is better, but theres probably quite a difference in price

>>One said a 1TB recorder is enough the other said 2TB
all depends on how many cameras you plan on having and how long you want to keep footage for. 1tb is ok, but for the cost of a 2tb drive these days, you may as well pay the extra £20 or whatever it is

HTH

Edited at 12:38 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok, to break it down...

>>One said use analogue cameras the other said IP
traditionally wired analogue cameras were better, but these days, IP cams are just as good and not that much more expensive. personally, id go wired IP cams over cat6 (or better) using PoE instead of running two cables (network/video and power)

>>One said night colour cameras (uses white light) one said black and white at night using infrared
white light as in an LED "floodlight"? that may work for some areas, but having a floodlight come on constantly may annoy your neighbours. we have one that has IR and and LED floodlight (and you can set the trigger level for the floodlight) and it's decent enough, but if i had them all round the house triggering randomly, my neighbours would hate me.

IR is old technology, starview chips have made a big difference, although they are relatively expensive compared to traditional IR illumination.

>>One said run a lead down from the recorder in the loft to a TV, other said not worthwhile when you can watch on online/tablet/laptop
yep. assuming you go IP, or the recorder is networked, it makes no sense to have a cable running as long as your house wifi coverage is decent enough. its an extra expense that isnt particularly necessary now... if you want to view it on tv, get something that can either cast from the app on your phone (chromecast/firestick) or get a raspberry pi and set that up permanently on one of the hdmi channels

>>One said cameras high almost at the soffit, other said approx 10 to 12 feet
cant really advise on that, but it depends on the resolution of the camera i suppose

>>One said camera near the front door the other said no point as criminals would take it out
they could take it out, yes... but hopefully if they do, youve still got some footage of them pulling up to the house and getting to the camera. a couple of years ago, a neighbour had his van stolen. the camera at the side caught it being driven off, but nothing else useful...my front driveway camera caught the car they pulled up in, got out of and then took the van... it didnt get the licence plate, but it clearly showed two guys getting out of a blue ford estate, so at least gave them something to go off when checking other street cctv in the area. my point is, fit as many cameras as you can afford, if one gets taken out, then hopefuly another will get something useful.

>>One said 2MP cameras were more than good enough and it's frame rate that's important , the other said he wouldn't fit lower than 4MP and didn't mention frame rate
2mp or 2k? theres a big difference

2mp is 1600 x 1200 (and is probably about as high as analogue wired cams will go)
2k is 2560x1440 (and is probably the lowest res you would want for a decent modern ip camera)

2k is adequate, 4k is better, but theres probably quite a difference in price

>>One said a 1TB recorder is enough the other said 2TB
all depends on how many cameras you plan on having and how long you want to keep footage for. 1tb is ok, but for the cost of a 2tb drive these days, you may as well pay the extra £20 or whatever it is

HTH
Thanks for that, that's really helpful
dan123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dan123
Imagineer

Just adding an update. In the end we went for a higher spec system; 6 x HIK vision 4 MP IP cameras with night colorvu (has to be seen to be believed) and a 4 TB recorder fitted in the loft. Recorder warranted for 3 years, everything else warranted for 5 years. Paid £1690 and I’m over the moon with it.
dan123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List