Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Absolutely this

I actually think all the non sharers are weird
Well, the thread seems to be more about "having a taste" of someone's food, ie a forkful or two, as opposed to full on sharing where two people may have half each of two dishes, often swapping plates at the halfway point.

Then there is the complete separate subject of tapas-type dining - small plates which are designed to be shared. This comes with its own perils, particularly if a party comprises veggies and meat-eaters. And you often get a polite-off at the end, when there's a small bit left of each dish and everyone is too polite to take it!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh yes a family of sharers here, as a family going out to eat we will normally all order something different so as to all taste each others.

We don't normally share with friends, will always ask if anyone wants a taste but very rarely anyone does .
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Isn't it funny though, this week when we went out with one of the couples, I asked the non sharer to taste my Cocktail and he did, but his wife sat there and kept it to herself...
I would not offer or accept a sip from a drink someone had sipped from (beyond my own household) at the moment or share food from another’s plate.
In more normal times, at home , yes I’d offer a taste if we were eating different things, in a restaurant , no not as a matter of routine. Maybe occasionally if something was extraordinary.
If your mate’s wife wanted whitebait, she’d have ordered whitebait
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Well, the thread seems to be more about "having a taste" of someone's food, ie a forkful or two, as opposed to full on sharing where two people may have half each of two dishes, often swapping plates at the halfway point.

Then there is the complete separate subject of tapas-type dining - small plates which are designed to be shared. This comes with its own perils, particularly if a party comprises veggies and meat-eaters. And you often get a polite-off at the end, when there's a small bit left of each dish and everyone is too polite to take it!
We wouldn’t swap plates, we would just have what we wanted to try off each other’s plate, but not to the detriment of the other person. And this is only between myself and dh.
We would order 2 dishes to share if we both fancied that.

We have one friend who is like us and doesn’t mind sharing especially if it’s Indian or Chinese, or something that we haven’t tried before, but we are very close to them so not an issue there.
Other not so close friends we wouldn’t dream of suggesting in case they felt uncomfortable but it wouldn’t stop us from trying each other’s food or sharing desert.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Chinese has to be pick and mix! Its always been a spoonful of this and that.

Until DH appeared with his DS. Weirdest concept ... order what you want to eat. No sharing.

I dont think weve had chinese since!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I remember going to a Chinese restaurant for a meal at Christmas with work colleagues. We all ordered what we wanted and the food was put in the middle of the table with “my meal” not near me. Everyone tucked in (using the spoons provided in each dish) and I was left with next to nothing to eat as they ate MY meal! I’m a bit fussy I must admit and won’t touch prawns etc. I knew there was a reason I avoided work outings!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post

Until DH appeared with his DS. Weirdest concept ... order what you want to eat. No sharing.

I would go out with them - just how I like it!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post

Like you always pick and mix Chinese but when my middle son met his girlfriend now wife, they decided that when we got Chinese take out they just wanted their food they picked to themselves. Must be her influence as he was always brought up to share Chinese 🙄 😂
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Last Christmas I got a great back scratcher that I used all day. Then at tea time I noticed a lovely mince pie on my wife’s plate and used my back scratcher to nab a bit 😋

Well it looks like a fork hahaha

Old 17 Oct 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry but I find it really odd that people don't share a takeaway, that's all part of the fun trying as many dishes as possible, would find it really strange to sit there eating Chinese with just my own dish in front also sometimes we will order a dish of noodles and share 3 mains between 4 of us, if we each ordered our own we would end up with masses of food. Also in my experience as a restaurant manager particularly with desserts I get just as many orders for one dessert with multiple amounts of spoons as I do for individual ones

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List