Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Apr 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Anyone with a 15 year old help please?

Hi Dibbers

I'm looking to book for next year, our 5th time Looking at end of April / beginning of May.

My daughter will be 15 then and mid way through year 10 in school.
Her school allow 10 days of holidays if they have good attendance ( which she has ) but I'm confused.
She seems to think she will be doing her GCSEs in year 10, continuing into year 11. I thought it was just year 11 they took the actual exams, that it's just studying for them in year 10.

I definitely don't want to clash with any exams, so can anyone help please?
I've asked the school but they're being very vague with it.
We live in Wales if this makes any difference.

Thanks
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think some schools stagger GCSEs over the two years. Maybe more so now they have got rid of the course work. I know my son took his x3 science GCSEs in Year 10
And everything else in Year 11. It was unusual I think but you should check it out. For what it’s worth I’m not a stickler for not taking kids out of school for a couple of days to stretch a half term into a doable Disney trip cheaper. But that said I’d avoid it in Y10 TBH.
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Babiesmummy
Dancing with Tink'

Mobile

My daughter is in an Academy & is currently in yr8. She has just picked her options & starts her GCSE's in yr9, some she will finish in yr10, some in yr11.
Probably best to try & speak to a parent who has a child currently in yr10 or 11, they may know x
Babiesmummy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

My daughter is in Year 10 at the moment and although she doesn't have exams that count towards her GCSEs, she has a week of exams that are important to see how she is progressing. These are at the end of April.

The GCSE curriculum is very tight and I know that it is difficult to fit it all in in 2 years (less than that when you factor in that exams will be in May in Year 11). This is why some schools have decided to start GCSEs from year 9.

So although she will only miss 10 days of school, this will be quite a big chunk of stuff.

I work in a primary school and when children go on holiday, they miss lots and get quite behind.

Personally, I would not take a child in their GCSE years out of school.

Edited at 11:47 PM.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KateD
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My daughter is 15 also, she is in year 10 now and will take one exam this year the rest in year 11. She also attends an academy. Check with the school as each is different I’m taking mine away at the start of year 11.
KateD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for the quick replies.

Of course her education is the most important thing to me.
I'm very restricted to when I can go away, I don't have holidays to book. Just set time off. None of which coincide with school holidays

I'll find out for sure when Easter is over but I've got a feeling we'll have to wait a bit longer to go back.

Thanks!
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
rhyger
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We live in Wales too and both mine took maths, numeracy and science in yr 10. Science is a double award so they also have exams in yr 11 - now for our youngest 😫
rhyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My DS is currently in Year 10 and is taking Citizenship GCSE this summer. He has just had mocks for them and more exams and assessments when he gets back after Easter. I would be cautious about taking your DD out in term time in Y10 as the GCSE courses are so huge now, they do much each week and are always being tested. I have no problem taking kids out for holidays in term time and did when our son was in primary but wouldn’t in Y10. For instance, wehad theatre tickets booked for last week, but ended up selling them as our son’s GCSE mock was only announced 6 weeks ago and he didn’t want a late night out the night before his exam.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’m in Wales too. Yes they definitely do GCSEs in year 10, some stand alone and some which count towards their final grades. It would obviously be possible to fit a holiday around the dates but you’d need to speak to the school. More problematic for me was the preparation and exam revision - my daughter wouldn’t let me take her out at all but that depends on the child I guess. We are however really looking forward to our summer trip this year post exams (she’s in yr 12).
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I work in a school and I’m not against kids going away in holidays but I wouldn’t do it in year 10 or 11. I’d say year ten was more important as everything they learn in year ten and the start of year 11 is new learning. After that it’s revision and practicing the skills.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List