Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Jun 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Texas Itinerary

So with our holiday this year up in the air as to whether we get to go I'm trying not to think too much about it and have instead set my sights on planning a 3 week road trip around Texas for next summer.

I know it will be hotter than the sun but was hoping to take advantage of going after our children's A-Levels and GCSE's, so end of June beginning of July.
I have read whatever trip reports I can find and have come up with a rough plan that I hope anyone who's been can tell me if it's doable. We like to be active 90% of the holiday with a little down time thrown in.

Obviously no idea on flights but potentially flying into DFW and out of HOU

Fort Worth - 3 nights - Stockyards Rodeo, Billy Bobs, Southfork Ranch, JFK museum, Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Waco - 1 night - Dinosaur Valley State Park, Magnolia Market

Lake Travis - 3 nights - Hamilton Pool Preserve, chill time, golf

San Angelo - 1 night - Just to break the journey to Big Bend

Big Bend NP - 2 nights - National Park sights

Del Rio - 1 night - Just to break the journey up from Big Bend

Bandera - 1 night - Horse Ranch

Austin - 3 nights - Friday Night Lights locations, bats, Rainey Street, Capitol Building tour, sports game

New Braunfells - 1 night - River tubing, Gruene dance hall

San Antonio - 3 nights - Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, Riverwalk Cruise, Alamo

Galveston - 2 nights - Pleasure Pier, Johnson Space Centre, beach

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fab. I had a friend who grew up in Texas and he always told me to have as much time as you could in Austin as it was better than the rest of Texas put together! I have no idea whether he was right or completely wrong though so I’m following with interest!
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MsSparkles
Excited about Disney

We did a Texas road trip in October 2018. We flew into Austin with BA and flew out of Houston. We stayed in Austin, Dallas, Fredericksburg, Bandera, San Antonio and Galveston.

We loved Fredericksburg in Hill Country. Very cute little town but be warned - pretty much everything closed at 5pm (restaurants 9pm)! It was good for a couple of days as plenty of places to go out and explore such as the LBJ Historic Park, Enchanted Rock and the Pacific War museum. Austin was good to explore for a day, lots of music and just a cool place to hang out. I wish we'd gone to Lake Travis as that looks lovely.

We didn't stay at Waco but we did visit it on the way from Austin to Dallas. Nice little town with the Dr Pepper Museum!

Our ranch night in Bandera wasn't very good as they had lots of storms and we couldn't take the horses out.

We didn’t think much of Galveston but we were there in October so maybe it was a bit out of season. Don't expect Florida beaches!

Loved San Antonio, the RiverWalk was great, we saw a college football game here and went to the Alamo which was really interesting.

Dallas/Fort Worth was ok for the JFK museum, the Stockyards and we went for the Texas State Fair.

Hope this helps.

1990 - Disney World (I Drive), 1997 - Disney World (I Drive), 2007 & 2008 - Disneyland Paris, 2009 & 2011 - Disney World (I Drive & LBV) , 2013 - Disneyland California (offsite) - 2015 Disney World (BCL & LBV) , 2017 & 2022 Disney World (LBV) Plus many other US holidays and road trips (aiming to visit every state )
MsSparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry to hijack, but I’m really interested in your replies too..!
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

CrispyA did a really good trip report of her family’s Texas road trip. I highly recommend tracking it down and having a read.
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sounds fab. I had a friend who grew up in Texas and he always told me to have as much time as you could in Austin as it was better than the rest of Texas put together! I have no idea whether he was right or completely wrong though so I’m following with interest!
Thank you Karen, I’ve heard great things about Austin!
It’s funny I was thinking of you today as I found your Hawai’i guide you kindly lent me, I’m so sorry I completely forgot I had it! I’ll PM you now as I’ll get it posted back to you ASAP. I’ve read it back to back about 10 times 😂. Have finally decided on Oahu and Maui with a day trip to Big Island but that holiday will have to wait for us to become kid free though in a couple of years!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MsSparkles View Post
We did a Texas road trip in October 2018. We flew into Austin with BA and flew out of Houston. We stayed in Austin, Dallas, Fredericksburg, Bandera, San Antonio and Galveston.

We loved Fredericksburg in Hill Country. Very cute little town but be warned - pretty much everything closed at 5pm (restaurants 9pm)! It was good for a couple of days as plenty of places to go out and explore such as the LBJ Historic Park, Enchanted Rock and the Pacific War museum. Austin was good to explore for a day, lots of music and just a cool place to hang out. I wish we'd gone to Lake Travis as that looks lovely.

We didn't stay at Waco but we did visit it on the way from Austin to Dallas. Nice little town with the Dr Pepper Museum!

Our ranch night in Bandera wasn't very good as they had lots of storms and we couldn't take the horses out.

We didn’t think much of Galveston but we were there in October so maybe it was a bit out of season. Don't expect Florida beaches!

Loved San Antonio, the RiverWalk was great, we saw a college football game here and went to the Alamo which was really interesting.

Dallas/Fort Worth was ok for the JFK museum, the Stockyards and we went for the Texas State Fair.

Hope this helps.
Thank you this is all really helpful! I’ve not looked into Fredericksburg but will do so now.

The Dr Pepper museum is now on the list as that is my DD’s favourite drink

Such a shame the ranch night was a complete washout, I’d be gutted as they’re not cheap!

To be honest I’ve not heard great things about the beaches in Texas but thought it might do for some chill out time at the end of the hol. I’ll try not to compare it to Anna Maria Island 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyfreaks View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I’m really interested in your replies too..!
No problem, hijack away. It seems Texas is a popular place to visit, we’ve wanted to go for a few years now so really looking forward to it

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
CrispyA did a really good trip report of her family’s Texas road trip. I highly recommend tracking it down and having a read.
Thank you, I’ve read Elizabeth’s report about 3 times now. I’ve pretty much pinched most of their itinerary for mine 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 3 Jun 20, 05:39 AM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

We did a Texas road trip last September- flying into Houston (BA Club class - which was fab, and picking up a Grand Cherokee Avis rental car covering 1000 miles in our 3 week trip). We really enjoyed Austin, San Antonio and Houston (Austin was my favourite, hubby loved San Antonio) and we did the usual stuff (Riverwalk, the Alamo, Congress bridge, Barton creek, etc). We did a mixture of Airbnb and Hilton/Hyatt hotels. We also visited Galveston to get some beach/ coast time but would not rush back as it was just a long stretch of pretty boring open coastline and unattractive touristy buildings.
We also spent a few days in Sugarland and Katy in Houston (both cute towns).
Having been all over the US we were used to the size of the place but Texas is truly HUGE. Have a great time planning your trip.
capecoralfl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List