Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jan 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Thank you so much, that’s extremely useful. I hadn’t considered TC which I guess is obvious now like you say. I’ll be more on the ball! I’ve been flying to Orlando on virgin almost all my life and have been booking reward flights for many years. I’m also a dvc member so almost always book at 11 months out to co-ordinate my accommodation I’ve never booked anywhere near to 3 months out so I know this system. I just don’t know it at this time of year.

I’ve been for a walk and cleared my head, it’s my policy on the Dibb not to bite at people who are rude for the sake of it. But the “family conference” part got to me. My son is disabled and almost completely non verbal so I would love the ability to have a “family conference” with every member of my crew but sadly that will not be my reality. In fact the only reason we can look to book this year is that we’ve been told by his care team that he is not developmentally ready for mainstream school. Last week was one of my lowest points as a parent and it’s then we decided to turn it into a positive and look to go to our favourite place in the world where I’m not constantly being told of his ‘complex needs’ and how they affect every part of our world. I bit and I shouldn’t have. Maybe I’m not quite ready to take on the Dibb again just yet! 🙈

Thanks for your help - I’ll set up alerts.
I’ve never booked a reward flight so I’m no use to you whatsoever but after the week you’ve had it sounds like you need a Dibb hug!
I hope you manage to book flights soon back to your happy place xx

Not reward but BA had some good prices as a fly drive into Tampa last week for around the October half term dates, my friend managed to get less than £500pp including an SUV for 2 weeks

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I’ve never booked a reward flight so I’m no use to you whatsoever but after the week you’ve had it sounds like you need a Dibb hug!
I hope you manage to book flights soon back to your happy place xx

Not reward but BA had some good prices as a fly drive into Tampa last week for around the October half term dates, my friend managed to get less than £500pp including an SUV for 2 weeks
Thank you so much - I’ll take my Dibb hug! 💕 I’ll check out BA thank you! x
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
MKdisneynut
Sipping a Cold One

Just to add my observations re Virgin Reward flight availability. I have been checking for a couple of months now looking at either PE or UC for the LGW to MCO flights in October and seen a real lack of seats being released. Chatted to a Virgin flying club staff member who confirmed that they have had a real lack of availability from 11 months out on this route.
I therefore opted for LHR to MIA and secured 3 PE returns with little fuss. Sadly only 1 UC on the dates we could do so opted not to anger Mrs MKDisneynut by splitting us up
If you are looking for reward availability and are happy with a 3.5hr drive to Orlando (we will stay overnight in Miami on arrival) then maybe the Miami route is an option for you?
91- Days Inn Lakeside, 93- Sheraton Lakeside, 96- Hyatt Orlando, 99- Wilderness Lodge, 2000- OKW (May) & OKW (August), 2001- BWV, 2003- OKW & Disney Magic(Eastern), 2004- California & Disneyland, 2005- OKW & Gulf Coast, 2006- OKW, 2007- SSR, 2008- Disney Magic(Mexican Riviera), 2010- SSR, 2011- Disney Magic(Med), 2013- OKW, 2014- Disney Magic(Med), 2016- OKW & BWV, 2017- SSR & BCV, 2018- OKW, 2019- Disney Fantasy (Eastern) & BWV, 2022- CCC & BWV, 2023 - OKW & VB
MKdisneynut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Hi
Sorry never booked a reward flight so no help,but
Just a quick message to send a hug after what sounds like a difficult week,we have 2 boys with asd and it can be a rollercoaster and hearing how complex my boys needs were was difficult to process,so I have so much sympathy for the way you are feeling.If you ever need a shoulder,just shout.
My ds8 was mostly non verbal until age 5,and is now only non verbal during meltdown,obviously I know they are all different.
Hugs
Nadya
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

We use reward flights and are also DVC members. We always have them planned at the 11 month mark and are waiting for them to be released. usually booking outbound first then inbound and asking for them to be linked.
I find the previous comments of "they aren't meant to be a source of flights that you can plan around. " and "I don't know any major frequent flyer who would plan a reward redemption more than 3 months in advance (although I guess some do)" more an indication of how they personally use reward flights not how others do and would pay it no heed. I would be fairly horrified at not having flights 3 months before if the rest was booked 11 months in advance, so I am definitely with you on that one.

What I would add is that we normally travel in the summer school holidays (August) however the year we flew in October we really struggled with reward flights. It was the year when VA changed the system over and they did it the week before our flights were due for release and as a result apart from the odd glitch every morning nothing was released at all. I ended up having to book 4 adult seats on the website as flying club couldn't see the availability at all then they changed 2 of them to children. I put it down at the time to the changeover although it could have been the time of year.

Sending hugs, good luck with the search. Maybe see if there is any availability to Tampa and have a trip to Busch Gardens first :-)
Old 28 Jan 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Last year in October we ended up taking reward seats from New York on the way back and bought a (cheap) connecting flight from Orlando.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you everyone! That’s really useful. I’ve been checking and checking and I can get flights late into November into early Dec, I’ve never been that late in the year and a little worried over thanksgiving but Xmas might be nice?
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by nadya View Post
Hi
Sorry never booked a reward flight so no help,but
Just a quick message to send a hug after what sounds like a difficult week,we have 2 boys with asd and it can be a rollercoaster and hearing how complex my boys needs were was difficult to process,so I have so much sympathy for the way you are feeling.If you ever need a shoulder,just shout.
My ds8 was mostly non verbal until age 5,and is now only non verbal during meltdown,obviously I know they are all different.
Hugs
Nadya
Thank you lovely lady. I got a message saying my Inbox was full - I’m sorry about that, it’s not now. You’ve always been such a huge help and support - so thank you. It’s been a tough old week or so - it’s a hard message to hear and been one of them weeks where it’s been told to me over and over in various meetings, it got to me I admit... but hopefully having something positive to look forward to would be great. Thank you again lovely I really appreciate it xx
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
We use reward flights and are also DVC members. We always have them planned at the 11 month mark and are waiting for them to be released. usually booking outbound first then inbound and asking for them to be linked.
I find the previous comments of "they aren't meant to be a source of flights that you can plan around. " and "I don't know any major frequent flyer who would plan a reward redemption more than 3 months in advance (although I guess some do)" more an indication of how they personally use reward flights not how others do and would pay it no heed. I would be fairly horrified at not having flights 3 months before if the rest was booked 11 months in advance, so I am definitely with you on that one.

What I would add is that we normally travel in the summer school holidays (August) however the year we flew in October we really struggled with reward flights. It was the year when VA changed the system over and they did it the week before our flights were due for release and as a result apart from the odd glitch every morning nothing was released at all. I ended up having to book 4 adult seats on the website as flying club couldn't see the availability at all then they changed 2 of them to children. I put it down at the time to the changeover although it could have been the time of year.

Sending hugs, good luck with the search. Maybe see if there is any availability to Tampa and have a trip to Busch Gardens first :-)

Thank you! We’ve always booked as far out as we can too - I couldn’t do such short notice. They seem to have a lot in November and Dec so I’m tempted! But then I can’t book the accommodation until March 🙈 eek. Thank you for the hugs. 💕
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 28 Jan 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Sending you and Nadya some virtual hugs...
I've just booked cash tickets with BA because I've been searching Virgin since the 331 day mark for our trip in October with no joy at all.
We wanted Gatwick - MCO but have settled on Gatwick - Tampa with a Chevy Cruze rental.
From 20th Oct to 12th November direct both ways for the two of us was cost £1354
Hope someone finds this useful
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List