Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Mar 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Fordie View Post
With revolut, can we get a card to go with it and is there a limit on how much you can transfer to it in a period of time?
Obviously I want the best rates like everyone and currently it was in cash form.
Even if you got an extra ten cents to the dollar, which I would doubt, you are taking this huge risk of losing it all for a saving of around $500 (and that is if you took the $10k being discussed). Wouldn’t be worth it for me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Fordie
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by swintonowl View Post
Yes you get a card with it. Not sure of transfer limit but I have done over £10k in a single hit and no problems. I would suggest you set it up and have a go with a small transfer and usage before you go large to make sure you have cleared all their security etc.
Do you have the standard plan or premium? On there is says atm withdraw of £200 on standard or £400 with the next card up? That’s per month.
Is there a limit on what can be spent daily using the card also?

24th June-8th July 2010 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
27th July-17th August 2011 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
1st September-12th September 2012 (Las Vegas Baby!)
3rd September-1st October 2013 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th January-9th January 2014 (New York City)
2nd September-30th September 2015 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th September-4th October 2017 (Walt Disney World)
3rd September-25th September 2018 (Los Angeles & Las Vegas)
Fordie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

So we just fill the form in that’s it? Will I need to show proof of where it came from?
We just don’t want to be randomly selected and then we said no on the declaration...
Hi Fordie - firstly, if you're entering the US as a couple/family unit $10k is the maximum allowance you can import without declaring... it is not per person.

Whilst the declaration I linked in my last post doesn't ask for proof of ownership, if you have proof carry it with you, ensure you fully read the declaration and accompanying notes. Due to increased awareness of money laundering you may be subject to more questions.

In 2015, after the police dog grassed us up (prescription meds) at Newcastle airport, Customs stepped up, the Customs lass was really canny but I remain unconvinced re funds we took out of the UK. We were flying to Dublin, staying with friends for 3 days afore flying to the US. She explained they could confiscate monies over the equivalent of £1k. My understanding is the £1k mark is if they have reason to believe one is money laundering. We had FX proof for the funds, she didn't want to see that, the cash or our prescription meds, as we were leaving the UK for the winter (180 days) she understood the $7,500k we were carrying was our rental/spending funds.

We've never seen such a glut of police and Customs at Ncl airport before/since our travel day, took 35 mins to clear what had been a basically empty Customs hall, and whilst we'll never know if it was relative to the UK holding intel, our flight was Thu 14th Nov, the day before the Nov 2015 terror attack in France.

We no longer carry cash as I use TransferWise to send rental funds plus we hold a Halifax Clarity apiece as purchases/ATM withdrawals are at the interbank rate... whilst there are no fees for ATM withdrawals, interest on the amount is charged from day one at circa 1.66% a month. We've withdrawn $300 per card when needed, which is rare, one $300 so far since November.

Fordie, you must do what you wish re taking cash, it's strictly your decision. If you want an alternative, per other Dibbers I recommend Halifax Clarity (PO mastercard applies a fee for cash withdrawals).
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

We were never asked about money, we had $1300 split between two hand bags. When we got to MCO passport control, we were asked if we had any food, said yes and listed what i had then that was it. No issues. Our hold luggage had been gone through by TSA as things were moved around (and a tea bag split - messy). No forms to fill out on plane etc. Have a nice holiday xx

Edited at 09:23 AM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
We were never asked about money, we had $1300 split between two hand bags. When we got to MCO passport control, we were asked if we had any food, said yes and listed what i had then that was it. No issues. Our hold luggage had been gone through by TSA as things were moved around (and a tea bag split - messy). No forms to fill out on plane etc. Have a nice holiday xx
You were fine kitjos, travellers hold a duty to declare, even if the IO doesn't ask, if importing in excess of $10k. Man, hope it wasn't a Yorkshire Tea bag they split, what a waste
Old 6 Mar 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Do you have the standard plan or premium? On there is says atm withdraw of £200 on standard or £400 with the next card up? That’s per month.
Is there a limit on what can be spent daily using the card also?
I use standard. Me and my wife both have one so will take $200 each out of an ATM but to be honest we never use it as mostly pay by revolut card. If you go to WAWA gas stations and use their ATMs (which are inside) then there is no charge.

I also have TransferWise as a backup and never hit a spending limit with either card.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It never leaves my sight just incase. We’ve been fortunate and flown upper on virgin so I keep it in storage above me or next to me on the plane.
I seem to get a better exchange rate this way by taking it in cash over the currency cards. If it was all the same rates I’d change it up
I guess with large amounts you would notice a few .001 of a dollar on the exchange rate but we have never been in the position where the extra would be worth the risk. If the difference is less than $100 I wouldn’t risk carrying loads of cash

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ukman
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I would say like most best to declare it. You are just ask the reason for carrying it and proving its yours, that's it. But in this day and age with so many card choices I would stick it on a card as wouldn't do it again.
ukman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ukman View Post
I would say like most best to declare it. You are just ask the reason for carrying it and proving its yours, that's it. But in this day and age with so many card choices I would stick it on a card as wouldn't do it again.
Hi ukman, you need only declare if the cash is in excess of $10k, then one needs to complete the form I linked earlier. They're generally canny about the figure travellers bring in and whilst they may ask for proof of FX they understand many use cash in Orlando/theme parks. We used to bring cash for our rent and spends until we obtained Halifax Clarity apiece, we appreciate both sides of the cash/card choice
Old 13 Mar 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

Only applicable if taking in more than $10,000.
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List